@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
I picked up my new Lx150 and need to make a few modifications to make it better for my wife as a passanger. I wanted to add a back rest, but found what I thought was a good deal on a used Vespa top box. With a few changes it should do the trick Nerd emoticon
[img][/img]

Before I got the box I found several other new boxes listed on ebay for a few dollars more, so turns out it wasn't such a great deal. Oh well making the best of it! I'm planning to paint the box, repair the lock, add a back rest and build a custom rack to mount the box on. I may add some additonal led brake lights.
[img][/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
I started on the back plate for the seat rest. I decided to use a piece of 1/8" thick ABS plastic.

Dan
ABS plastic cut to size.
ABS plastic cut to size.
Cut the top to a nice curve and bent the piece with a heat gun to match the contour of the box.
Cut the top to a nice curve and bent the piece with a heat gun to match the contour of the box.
Should work nice here.  Just need to add some holes for fastners.
Should work nice here. Just need to add some holes for fastners.
Added some small aluminum bar stock with drilled and tapped holes for screws from inside the box.
Added some small aluminum bar stock with drilled and tapped holes for screws from inside the box.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Looking good !
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
thestigjjj wrote:
Looking good !
Agreed!!
OP
@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
some progress over the weekend. I got the box painted and installed. Also made a rack to install it on. Having problems trying to load pictures this morning, will try again later.
Dan
OP
@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Can't seem to load pictures and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong Is anyone else having problems?

Dan
OP
@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Here's the pics.
Added foam to the backing.
Added foam to the backing.
built a new rack to support the top box out of 1/2" steel tubing.
built a new rack to support the top box out of 1/2" steel tubing.
Here is the rack after painting and installed.
Here is the rack after painting and installed.
I split the box and sanded it down with 220 grit.  Added some painting putty on the flaws then sanded it with 600 grit.  Finished up the process with a wet sand at 1000 grit. Then taped off the middle for a tow tone paint job.
I split the box and sanded it down with 220 grit. Added some painting putty on the flaws then sanded it with 600 grit. Finished up the process with a wet sand at 1000 grit. Then taped off the middle for a tow tone paint job.
Here she is painted and installed.
Here she is painted and installed.
I used dupicolcor paint,  4 color coats and 4 coat of clear.
I used dupicolcor paint, 4 color coats and 4 coat of clear.
Making a cover for this little thing was not easy.  I wanted to two tone it. End result not quite what I wanted but I'll live with it!
Making a cover for this little thing was not easy. I wanted to two tone it. End result not quite what I wanted but I'll live with it!
It gives the passenger seat a whole new feel.  Blind luck, I didn't even think to make sure the installation didn,t block the seat from being raised.....yea!
It gives the passenger seat a whole new feel. Blind luck, I didn't even think to make sure the installation didn,t block the seat from being raised.....yea!
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Great results!! You did a nice job fabbing that rack as well.

I'm a bit of a DIY'er, so I can only imagine the sense of pride and accomplishment (I hope) that you'll get everytime you use the case.
OP
@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
One more thing to add to finish off the top box. The little hexagon on top needed something like an emblem. So I casted a smiley face out of aluminum for it.

Dan
Before paint and emblem.
Before paint and emblem.
I really just have too much time on my hands!  This one turned out ok, but the face detail was too deep.  I may remake it.
I really just have too much time on my hands! This one turned out ok, but the face detail was too deep. I may remake it.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Enthusiast
2005 GT200

Enthusiast
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Dan
Nice job.
Did you ever add additional brake light to the box. I have an et4 with the same box and I feel like it hides the brake light and I would like to add an led strip or something to the box.

Jerome
OP
@teamtexas avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@teamtexas avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Quote:
Did you ever add additional brake light to the box. I have an et4 with the same box and I feel like it hides the brake light and I would like to add an led strip or something to the box.
I never did add any additonal lights. Maybe you can inspire me, post some pics of yours when you get it done!

Dan
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0067s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]