OP
UTC

Lurker
2007 BV500

Lurker
2007 BV500
UTC quote
My BV500 will not start. I have charged the battery and when I try to turn it over the clock blanks out, resets to 12:00 and NOTHING ELSE. Any thoughts?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: 2007 BV500 wont start display goes blank
RobertsonRider wrote:
My BV500 will not start. I have charged the battery and when I try to turn it over the clock blanks out, resets to 12:00 and NOTHING ELSE. Any thoughts?
hook the battery cable s correct?
did you charge the NEW battery before installing?
OP
UTC

Lurker
2007 BV500

Lurker
2007 BV500
UTC quote
it is a two year old batter that i charged in the scooter. I have not checked the battery terminals as of yet.... this just occurred today.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It sounds very similar to the symptoms on my Fuoco (same engine) when the sprag clutch gave out. However if you're lucky it's just a failed cell in the battery.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Welcome to MV.

Could be poor connections at the terminals, could be one or more bad cells in the battery and could be something else.

Not trying to be snarky, but connecting a charger to a bad battery will not result in a fully charged battery capable of starting the scooter. The battery will simply be charged to its lower maximum capacity. All external indications will show that the battery is "charging", but not the capacity that is available. Consequently, saying you "charged the battery" only provides limited troubleshooting help. You would need to load check the battery to know anything definitive, or at least the voltage before and during an attempt to start the engine.

Does the panel remain blank as long as the starter button is pressed, and then return to display when the starter button is released? If yes, then that does hint strongly at a dead battery. The panel draws very little current, and the display will appear at significantly lower voltage than that necessary to energize the starter motor.

Do you have a volt meter and are you familiar with how to use it?
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e

Addicted
@dru avatar
UTC quote
I would be willing to bet it's a battery. The wet cell batteries in these beasts is, IMO, crap. I get about a year per battery, fortunately, it's just a $44 battery. The problem isn't that the battery isn't charged, it's that even *fully* charged, it lacks the amperage to push the starter, and resets the electrical system while it gives everything it's got.

Take it to your local Battries+ and have them test it, you are probably only getting about 30-40 amps. Replace it if that's the case model#: XT10L-A2 at Batteries+, charge the new one 24hours before installing and you should be good to go for a year or so.

Mine being a daily driver, year round sees a lot of 7-8 hour periods sitting out in the weather (rain, cold, heat, etc) so I suspect that a battery that doesn't get abused like that will last longer than the year I typically get.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
dru_ wrote:
I would be willing to bet it's a battery. The wet cell batteries in these beasts is, IMO, crap. I get about a year per battery, fortunately, it's just a $44 battery. The problem isn't that the battery isn't charged, it's that even *fully* charged, it lacks the amperage to push the starter, and resets the electrical system while it gives everything it's got.

Take it to your local Battries+ and have them test it, you are probably only getting about 30-40 amps. Replace it if that's the case model#: XT10L-A2 at Batteries+, charge the new one 24hours before installing and you should be good to go for a year or so.

Mine being a daily driver, year round sees a lot of 7-8 hour periods sitting out in the weather (rain, cold, heat, etc) so I suspect that a battery that doesn't get abused like that will last longer than the year I typically get.
get a motobatt and you per year battery will go up dramatically.
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@dru avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
dru_ wrote:

get a motobatt and you per year battery will go up dramatically.
Not that I've found, I've also had a Yuasa, and it also only lasted a little over a year. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the MotoBatt product doesn't offer anything toe replace the 10L's that came in the 04-07 BV500's. They went to the 12's in the 07 dual sparks and newer, which motobatt does have a replacement for .
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@dru avatar
UTC quote
I should also add that I did lose a voltage regulator during the last year, and it is apparently not unusually for a bad VR to also damage a battery, so the fact that I got another 5-6 months out of that battery was just fine with me.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
You can use the bigger capacity battery.
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@dru avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It doesn't physically fit, I tried it . the 12's are about a 10mm too long and 4mm too wide. The X9 supports the 12 perfectly, but the older BV's don't. I have looked at modifying the battery pan, but that's not trivial as it requires rerouting the entire wiring harness for the tail lighting assembly .

The 10L-A2 is 135mm long, 91mm wide, and 147mm tall.

http://www.motobattbatteries.com/motobatt-mb10u.html is very close to fitting, but when I tried it, the top rubs the cover of the battery plate.
⚠️ Last edited by dru_ on UTC; edited 1 time
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
more cca's and better longevity as well.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Get a Ballistic battery then:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ballistic+battery+8+cell&sprefix=ballistic+battery%2Caps%2C254

Pricey, but should outlast the life of the bike, and needs no battery tender.

Edit, did you try the larger capacity motobatt battery? I understood they had smaller dimensions.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Get a Ballistic battery then:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ballistic+battery+8+cell&sprefix=ballistic+battery%2Caps%2C254

Pricey, but should outlast the life of the bike, and needs no battery tender.

Edit, did you try the larger capacity motobatt battery? I understood they had smaller dimensions.
or a shorai
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

Lurker
2007 BV500

Lurker
2007 BV500
UTC quote
Just to update....
I replaced the battery with a shorai and it started right up...
Thank you all for your input to my little problem
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0172s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]