UTC

Addicted
GTS 250

Addicted
@gass avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
puncture
One in the rear, doing 60mph on the A40. Kept it straight and throttled down, didn't use brake. A nail.
Gass silver machine gts 250
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I heard a clanging sound coming from the rear tire area of my GT.

Stopped, looked and saw a 2" long nail, 1" into the tire, 1" protruding out, banging on the inner fender.

Pulled it out to stop the banging and the air rushed out.

Like Richard before, I found the sidewall stiff enough to get me to a shop where they put in a plug.

The next day the tire had lost some pressure so I pumped it up and rode to the dealer at the beach (20 miles) where they replaced the tire.

My only puncture to date (tapping wood).

The only way I can see a 2" nail going straight into a scooter tire is to have it kicked up by the front tire. The odds seem astronomical, but it clearly happens.
@monit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@monit avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Jess, do you think this poll borders on forum abuse? After all collecting data from the enemy on the pretense of a survey could be viewed as poor sportsmanship?

However because I'm too far away to attend I can tell you 1 front 2 rear. Razz emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
Jess,
Would a 140 fit on the front? Why would a 140 not work as a spare?
When I put a 130 on the front of my GT 200, instead of a 120, it got a lot more head wobble. I don't know if it was the size or the particular tire.
@pudnrider avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Piaggio Liberty - Gal

Molto Verboso
@pudnrider avatar
2018 Piaggio Liberty - Gal
UTC quote
What a timely quiz. Went to take Puddin' out yesterday and after seeing the air was low for the second time in a row, discovered a nail in the rear tire. This is my second rear puncture on her (at least I wasn't riding her this time!). I've also had a front puncture on her. My fifth scooter and the only one I've ever had this happen on - and now three times at that!

The rear puncture, I thought it was the wind but finally pulled over to check.
The front puncture, she went all funky on a turn and I rolled into the conveniently located gas station.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to ride her to the closest place, the favored place or get a tow. She's losing 10 pounds a week on average (wish I could! Laughing emoticon).
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
UTC quote
Hedge your bets. Carry a 130 mounted, and a 140 and a 120 spare on the truck. If you get a flat, pop on the mounted 130 front or rear, and mount the proper tire on the punctured rim in the hotel parking lot later that evening. At most you risk only a day, or perhaps only a few segments at a lower top speed.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
starreem wrote:
Hedge your bets. Carry a 130 mounted, and a 140 and a 120 spare on the truck. If you get a flat, pop on the mounted 130 front or rear, and mount the proper tire on the punctured rim in the hotel parking lot later that evening. At most you risk only a day, or perhaps only a few segments at a lower top speed.
a seasoned rider can plug a tire faster than swapping it out.
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
UTC quote
I'm a seasoned rider, but not a seasoned plugger. I've stopped to help more than one motorcycle rider on the side of the road with plugs that would not take. If I was relying on my plugging skills, I will surely be carrying a bottle of Slime as well. I actually already have Slime in my tubed tires, and if I was running tubeless rims, I would have Slime in there as well.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Monit wrote:
Jess, do you think this poll borders on forum abuse? After all collecting data from the enemy on the pretense of a survey could be viewed as poor sportsmanship?

However because I'm too far away to attend I can tell you 1 front 2 rear. Razz emoticon
It would be abuse if the results were secret. But since they are publicly viewable, all the other CB riders can benefit from the data as well.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
starreem wrote:
If I was going to bring a spare tire, I might as well make it a mounted one. It takes up approximately the same amount of space. Plus, I'm fairly awful at mounting tires.
starreem wrote:
I'm a seasoned rider, but not a seasoned plugger. I've stopped to help more than one motorcycle rider on the side of the road with plugs that would not take.
Here's where I can probably do some meaningful preparation before the race. I have an injected-mushroom type of plugger kit which I've never had the misfortune to use. I think it would behoove me to add to that a sticky string kit (to cover all the bases) and put some deliberate punctures in one of my used-up tires before the event. That'll give me a chance to practice, practice, practice.

If I can become proficient at plugging, then the 1-in-10 front puncture odds get a little bit better.
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
UTC quote
I do carry sticky string plug kit on my GTS. I've only ever given strings away to others, never needed to use it myself. I did try plugging a hole on a car tire to get some practice. I would not say my singular plugging experience would do me a lot of good on the side of the road.

BTW, I carry a mounted spare for my longer GTS journeys, bungied to a front rack. Adds a lot of wind resistance, but I'm sure you already know that.
@bleverone avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GTV 250

Molto Verboso
@bleverone avatar
GTS 250ie, GTV 250
UTC quote
Three punctures all in the rear tire. One brand new tire that I plugged with the stringy plug and rode with a weary eye, closer to home for another 2000 miles before replacing. Not sure I would do that again. I plugged another in the same way that was close to needing to be replaced and ended up replacing it soon after. The third I am sure was vandalism on my wife's brand new rear tire. There was a staple popped into her rear perfectly straight while it was parked outside and locked up. The staple had zero wear from the road and was straight into the tire. I was afraid to try and plug two holes side-by-side in a brand new tire, but I did and then had my wife follow me to the Vespa shop for a new tire.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
jess wrote:
starreem wrote:
If I was going to bring a spare tire, I might as well make it a mounted one. It takes up approximately the same amount of space. Plus, I'm fairly awful at mounting tires.
starreem wrote:
I'm a seasoned rider, but not a seasoned plugger. I've stopped to help more than one motorcycle rider on the side of the road with plugs that would not take.
Here's where I can probably do some meaningful preparation before the race. I have an injected-mushroom type of plugger kit which I've never had the misfortune to use. I think it would behoove me to add to that a sticky string kit (to cover all the bases) and put some deliberate punctures in one of my used-up tires before the event. That'll give me a chance to practice, practice, practice.

If I can become proficient at plugging, then the 1-in-10 front puncture odds get a little bit better.
I second the practicing of plugging. a good time to practice those skills are on tires your just fixing to replace. yes it will cost you a few plugs. It will pay dividends on the road though. Oh and practice the technique with it on the scoot and not on the lifts either.

Just run a sheet metal screw in the tires and practice away.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I have an injected-mushroom type of plugger kit which I've never had the misfortune to use.
Ridiculously easy.

And work great on typical nail/screw puncture w/ no pressure loss.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
I have the Stop & Go mushroom plug kit, which I've also not used to date.
(I haven't tried the sticky rope.)

The first time I plugged a tire I used a auto store kit, rubber plugs and glue. It worked just fine, long enough to get me to a shop to replace the tire.

The second time (the roofing nail puncture I posted earlier) I used the same kit and, after three unsuccessful attempts to get a seal, ended up buying a new tire. It was discouraging because it should have been a simple fix, and the tire was almost new. I have no idea why it wouldn't work.

So my success rate with rubber plugs has been 50/50.
I bought the Stop & Go hoping I would have better results.

------

I knew when I voted front tire that I would be in the minority. I've also heard and believe
Quote:
The theory is that the front tire kicks a nail or similar object up on end and the rear tire "nails" it!
Roofing nails can skew the results a bit, since that large, flat flange can cause them to lie point up in the road, ready to put a hole in the first tire that rolls over them. My luck.
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
gopam wrote:
I put a vote in. I punctured my front right tire on my old MP3 250 riding freeway and there was construction going on.
I seem to remember you posting this. Did it go flat right away? If so, how did it handle?
I heard whapp whapp whapp... then realized that noise was coming from my bike. Then felt the handling was off and adrenaline kicked in as I realized what was happening. I reduced speed on the freeway to exit asap. I was lucky that day to have 2 tires in the front. Made it to the nearest gas station by the exit and got the bike towed. It had a big sharp gash in the tire. Must of hit something very sharp. Never saw anything in the road.

edit to say: it went flat but not completely flat until later. But that was the whapp whapp feeling and sound.
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

GTS 250ie

GTS 250ie
UTC quote
so far I had three rear punctures and none for front and all punctures were save by Stop & Go mushroom plug kit.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super

Hooked
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Where are you going to ...Mars?

Why not carry a couple (or three) and pick some replacements up as need be?

Why not use the data from the last Cannon Ball run? Surely thats more relevant considering most of the rest of us are picking up scooter punctures in the urban areas.

FWIW : my punctures Scoots and MCs - always rear.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Shooter wrote:
Why not carry a couple (or three) and pick some replacements up as need be?
To start with, there's no time during Cannonball. You ride every day. There are no days off. Getting a tire mounted on the road is nearly impossible. Further, on a support truck that's supporting 6 riders, space is at an extreme premium. Bringing many mounted tires isn't feasible.
Shooter wrote:
Why not use the data from the last Cannon Ball run?
On any given Cannonball, there will be maybe two or three flat tires. This is hardly statistically significant.
Shooter wrote:
Surely thats more relevant considering most of the rest of us are picking up scooter punctures in the urban areas.
I don't think it makes much of a difference. Besides, you're making some pretty big assumptions about where people ride.

Question for you: this thread is five months old. Why resurrect it just to question the point of the survey? I did, in fact, have a flat during Cannonball. It was the rear. The data told me what I wanted to know, and I was properly prepared.
@kitz54 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@kitz54 avatar
UTC quote
got a flat tire on front wheel on my beta eikon scoot, afterwards installed tire sealants on both tires.
UTC

Lurker
Scarabeo 200 Red, GT 200 Black, GTS 300 Super BRG

Lurker
Scarabeo 200 Red, GT 200 Black, GTS 300 Super BRG
UTC quote
One rear puncture on my GT, was doing 70 on Hwy 280.
@vezpa avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X

Banned
@vezpa avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
UTC quote
Every flat I've seen on a PTW has been a rear tire. From sport-bikes, to scooters to cruisers. It is ALWAYS the rear tire.
@big_foot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment

Ossessionato
@big_foot avatar
Scooterless at the moment
UTC quote
I've never had a puncture on any of my scooter tires,
Last time I had a puncture was a nail in the front tire of my old KZ400.
I blame that on the construction site I used to work at back in the early 80's.

Although, I have had my tires slashed once,
But that was an isolated incident and it was on my first scooter,
A 1984 Honda Elite 250.

Knock on wood, Haven't had a puncture since.
@bhutton avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 GTV250ie "Gina"

Enthusiast
@bhutton avatar
2009 GTV250ie "Gina"
UTC quote
Damned formula one racing!
This is what happens when you hit a pothole at 65 mph. We have an F1 track being built and the %#@*%! crews are tearing up the roads here. On the plus side it was only losing 20lbs of air a day...and it didn't come apart until taking it off the rim for replacement! Livid emoticon
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@drewdle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250ie

Hooked
@drewdle avatar
2007 GTS250ie
UTC quote
I picked up a stubby Phillips head screw somewhere between here and Nanaimo. Was a slow enough leak that I made it back the same day and didn't notice anything strange until I went to use the scoot again a couple days after the trip and the rear was flat.

Cost me $50 to get it patched. I was pretty ticked off, as I'd only had my CityGrips for a couple of months at that point, but at least I didn't have to replace the tire.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
It was in 1965. I don't remember the details, except that it was the front and I wobbled violently.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0308s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0170s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]