@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
So, as is often the case, when getitng into a new field there are some things that just aren't in the manual, and which don't get mentioned. Generally, these are the kinds of things that anyone who knows about those things just takes as basic, given concepts.

In this case, I was blissfully unaware that the oil filter is only ever supposed to be hand-tightened. Seeing as, pror to the bike, I have never done mechanical work...well, I didn't know that. So I cranked that sumbitch down as tight as I possibly could with the filter wrench.

Oh, and I think the seal ring from the old filter may still be there too, so that's not helping either. Everything else seems great...no problem cleaning the mesh filter tube, no losing the drain cap O-Ring, all is good. No leaks from the drain cap either, so I believe I did that all correctly.

Of course, when I start it up, oil pours out from the filter connection. Fuck me. There went almost all the oil I put in, which was almost all I had...

And best of all, I can't get the filter back off, because the angle of the surrounding metal and the contracting wrench's mechansm combine badly for removal...anyone got any tips to get that damn filter back out?

And once that is done, try #2, with application of today's important lesson.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Order this and it will come off. Only tighten the filter to snug.

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Piaggio-500-Oil-Filter-Tool/2444

400's and 500's use the same wrench, 250's are different
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
I've heard that doesn't really work the the Hi-Flo?

That, and I'd like to find a more immediate way. I've got no qualms about altering/damaging/destroying the overtightened filter, it's got to be ruined already...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
be
very
careful

Oil filter woes - Resolved!
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Well yeah, I would like it to come off in one piece...I just meant I'd be fine if it was damaged since it probably is already.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:

That, and I'd like to find a more immediate way. I've got no qualms about altering/damaging/destroying the overtightened filter, it's got to be ruined already...
I would like to know your source please. I have one and it fits the HF-184 perfectly.

you didn't read sticky new post in the wiki now did you.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Works great with the Hi Flo, done it six times. These should work if you need to grab it firmly. Just be very careful for the sake of threads on the scoot.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-to-4-1-4-quarter-inch-oil-filter-wrench-36778.html
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Sidecutter wrote:

I would like to know your source please. I have one and it fits the HF-184 perfectly.

you didn't read sticky new post in the wiki now did you.
I did read it. And this is my source.
https://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-mp3-400-common-service-parts

"[1] The Hiflo HF184 has unusual facets, so the standard Piaggio cap-style tool (available from Scooterwest) might not work. "
14perry wrote:
Works great with the Hi Flo, done it six times. These should work if you need to grab it firmly. Just be very careful for the sake of threads on the scoot.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-to-4-1-4-quarter-inch-oil-filter-wrench-36778.html
I'll see if I can find a good fit for the "cup" style at Auto Zone or whatever on my way home tonight and see how it goes. I'm not really in the mood to have my bike down for several more days waiting for shipping. If that fails I will find those pliers at the local Harbor Freight.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
When your at the auto parts store, if they don't have the right size filter wrench, just ask them for a pair of oil filter pliers, they'll have them.
@maynard_schweigert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
MP3 500
UTC quote
Another oil wrench that will work, utilizing a thin spring steel band with a 3/8" drive. Can be found at any reputable auto parts retailer with a Lisle Tool Display. Inexpensive without being cheap for $9.30 USD.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=333&division=1&category=9

Lisle #53400
Lisle #53400
Lisle #53400
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
A few pics of the buzzetti oil filter tool
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
A couple more on the scoot.
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
MP3 500
UTC quote
It is good to see a specality tool that solves the Master Engines short comings.
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Well, progress. I picked up what I needed from Ralph's Garage on the way home from work, then hit Auto Zone. Found that the "A" type cup wrench fits the filter super-snug, I almost couldn't get it back off the new-new filter. So if anyone needs a cup wrench, that one should do you well.

Unfortunately the bottom of the old-new filter that I put on too tight was deformed from the band-wrench, so the cup wrench was way too loose on it. So I leaned the bike part over on the grass incline beside the driveway and got out the bigarse flatblade sxrewdriver and a hammer and went to work. Did the job beautifully, no fuss at all. And just as I suspected, the rubber gasket from the old filter, broken in two, fell out when the old-new filter came undone.

Added another quart back in, ran the motor for a couple minutes. Have to be careful because the oil spilled on the motor is of course smoking itself off, and I don't want that to get out of control, so I'm going back out now to check the oil level again and run it some more, with the fire extinguisher handy just in case.

The good news...no leaking at all now! So I guess I got it hand-tight properly, and the drain plug is properly torqued. Woo! Just needs a nice trip to the car wash to get the mess off it from my fuckups...
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
UTC quote
Glad to hear you got it done, and without as much problem as jimc had.
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Victory! Looks good. I moved to a clean patch of driveway, let it burn off for a good while until I only saw small bits of smoke, and the level stayed good...saw two smal drips, but I actually suspect those came from the oil spillage and not the filter. No sign of any drips from the plug.

*edit* Do need to crack the plug a bit tomorrow and drain just a little, it's slightly over max. All good though, and I picked up some octane booster as well. Was in a hurry last time I filled up, at it was from a common-hose type pump, so I suspect my effective fuel was only midgrade. Put a capful of the booster in what was left and the engine completely stopped stalling while idlng to circulate the oil.
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
Another oil wrench that will work, utilizing a thin spring steel band with a 3/8" drive. Can be found at any reputable auto parts retailer with a Lisle Tool Display. Inexpensive without being cheap for $9.30 USD.
Maynard, have you used that tool on an MP3?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]