OP
UTC

1974 50s, sorta.

1974 50s, sorta.
UTC quote
Help!
I'm trying to register my very long-term project. I've had the scoot for 12 years or so (off the books at the DMV now), and lost a bin of parts during that time. I've got no plate, no paperwork and no original speedo. I went to the DMV to have them verify the VIN/Engine number and issue a new title/plate. Unfortunately, because it's been off the books, they say I either need a speedo with more than 7500 miles on it, or a letter from Vespa stating that the bike meets emissions standards (I assume at the time it was sold). Unfortunately the only speedo I have is a NOS one with zero miles, and ebay doesn't have any used ones.

After checking the VIN, the internet tells me it is a '78 50 Special, (I thought it was a 75...)

They also mentioned a federal secondary VIN or build plate, which I had never heard of. Can anyone help?
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
the secondary vin plate would have been an aluminum plate riveted to the lower left inside the leg shield. not sure when they started adding them but I was asked about it when registering a "1969" primavera and I just gave the guy a blank look and he moved on.

Did they start any paperwork or enter anything in the computer?

Because if they didn't, I think you may find that the YOM may be wrong ;)
UTC

Hooked
50 Special, and PX150

Hooked
50 Special, and PX150
UTC quote
Think vermont registration
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
why not just hook up the electric screw driver to it and wind it up to 8k. should not take too long...right?
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
I tried the electric drill and it doesn't make much difference on the speedo. On another note I treid a Honda 4 stroke gasoline Power washer pointing the water jet to the front wheel and I got the speedo reading about 100 miles per hour(well pass the 80mph mark).

Unfortuntely it would still take hours and hours of holding the power washer in order to complete a few hundred miles.

Best thing to do is to alter the speedo or buy a used one. I hate California for many reasons though...
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
I tried the electric drill and it doesn't make much difference on the speedo. On another note I treid a Honda 4 stroke gasoline Power washer pointing the water jet to the front wheel and I got the speedo reading about 100 miles per hour(well pass the 80mph mark).

Unfortuntely it would still take hours and hours of holding the power washer in order to complete a few hundred miles.

Best thing to do is to alter the speedo or buy a used one. I hate California for many reasons though...
Power washer thing is totally fucking awesome ever though it didn't work.
OP
UTC

1974 50s, sorta.

1974 50s, sorta.
UTC quote
Creative solutions! Laughing emoticon I especially like the pressure washer trick, but I guess I'll have to wait to find a used speedo in the market place. I've got no aluminum plate on the lower left shield, but the PO had stripped the scoot down and started a rebuild. Lots of parts are missing or non-original.

If anybody has an old or perhaps broken speedo sitting around, with more than 7500 miles, I'd be interested.....
UTC

1974 Vespa 90

1974 Vespa 90
UTC quote
I have been though this recently. Being in California, it's kinda of a pain to get an old off the record scooter titled and all that jazz. I have a speedo that reads more than 7500 miles and still got stuck in vin verification hell. I have a CHP VIN verification set up for next Tuesday because of this "seconday" vin on the leg sheild that does not match the vin stamped on the frame of my '74.

I would try ebay or even local scooter shops for the speedo. I've seen some used speedo's at the shop I've been to recently. Search around. I'm learning that building Vespa's is 1 part skill an 2 parts archaeology.
@m_dez avatar
UTC

LX 150, '63 Allstate, '71 Rally 180

@m_dez avatar
LX 150, '63 Allstate, '71 Rally 180
UTC quote
California has an exemption for collectors collecting collectable vehicles

Registration woes for restore
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
let's take this a step at a time.

1. The restriction on importing vehicles for smog... is 25 years. So any bike older than that would be fine if it was imported, or would be fine if it was a US market bike.

2. The odometer only has to be reported at time of transfer if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.

3. the 7500 mile rule is for out of state bikes only. Is this from out of state?

4. There is nothing wrong with replacing a speedo as long as you mark the box that says "not actual milage"
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Maybe your speedo needs rebuilding , or he has an old one available

http://speedoking.com/
@jsharpphoto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Vespa Sprint Veloce, 1963 VBB 180 Custom

Molto Verboso
@jsharpphoto avatar
1974 Vespa Sprint Veloce, 1963 VBB 180 Custom
UTC quote
If the bike is still in pieces, just take them any Vespa speedometer you can find with 8k on it. They won't know that it's not the right speedo. I bet if doesn't even have to be a Vespa one. If you can find a generic speedometer showing a ton of miles, I'm sure they won't think anything of it.
@jwilliams avatar
UTC

Addicted
'60 Allstate VNB1, '60 GS150 VS5, '61 Cushman VBB1, '62 GS160 Mk1 VSB1, '64 GL VLA1, '74 Rally VSE1 200 Euro, '78 P200e VSX, '06 LX150

Addicted
@jwilliams avatar
'60 Allstate VNB1, '60 GS150 VS5, '61 Cushman VBB1, '62 GS160 Mk1 VSB1, '64 GL VLA1, '74 Rally VSE1 200 Euro, '78 P200e VSX, '06 LX150
UTC quote
Gofargogo,

If you haven't paid fees and started the paperwork, I suggest you go to a different (friendlier) DMV office.

Prepare a "Statement of Facts". There is a form for this, but you can submit a typed Statement also.

Say that the vehicle is more than 25 years old, therefore no emissions issue. Say that the speedo is damaged, lost, reset when rebuilt, or whatever. Explain how and when you bought it, where it has been, that it has not been on the road, it was a wreck, etc.

If the agent wants to argue about the emissions, just be friendly and ask them to cite the CA statute by number (for example 3.5.3.9009) about the requirement and the exceptions so you can learn and research them. Ask what the statue number for 25 year old and 21 year old machines is (DOT and EPA are different) Thank them, gather up your paperwork and leave. Do your research on the CA DMV website then come back with your arguments.

Do not argue with DMV. If you have your research and knowledge in order you should simply cite the facts or law and ask to proceed with the registration or transfer.

There is a psychology involved in dealing with them. As a rule, they just want to get it done and not have CA ripped off. If you have your homework done, it makes it easy for them. They do have a lot of discretion in whether to do the registration on the spot, or (doom) send it off to Sacramento. Help them to get it done.

And remember, they don't know everything. Some of them don't even speak EFL (english as a first language). They don't want to be embarrassed. So help them to give you what you want.

Story:
I imported two scoots from Denmark. When I went to register the first one I got a huge run-around. Two trips to the Highway Patrol and DMV, letters to Homeland Security and Customs, blah, blah, blah. Took six weeks.

For the second one I wrote this polite letter and included all the attachments. At the DMV office I handed her the letter first, asked her to read it, then handed each document and described it. She was almost mute by the time I finished. And I saw the agents at each side looking at her and me. Heh, heh. -

Department of Motor Vehicles
Registration Operations Division

REF: 1964 Vespa GL
TYPE: Motor Scooter
VIN: 61520
Eng#: 61532

Greeting:

Attached are documents required to register vehicle imported from Denmark in 2007. It has been under restoration since arrival.

Attachments
A - Application for Title or Registration REG 343.
B - Verification of Vehicle.
C - Danish Registration Certificate with translation. (Title)
D - Photo of the machine at Dealer in Denmark.
E - Danish customs clearance, when the vehicle was brought into Denmark.
F - Dealer Bill of Sale, from Fredricksberg Motor Co., Copenhagen, Denmark, dtd Oct. 6, 07.
G - CBP Form 3461 US Customs ENTRY/IMMEDIATE DELIVERY. (Customs Clearance)
H - CPB Form 7501 US Customs ENTRY SUMMARY.
I - Customs Form 4333a Dept. of Treasury and U.S. Customs Service COURTESY NOTICE
Note: Confirms payment of $28.10 customs duty paid for customs clearance.
J - U.S. Customs Policy Statement for Importation of Classic or Antique Vehicles.
Note: Explains requirement for EPA Form 3520-1 and DOT Form HS-7.
K - EPA Form 3520-1 Declaration. (Vehicle older than 21 years.)
L - DOT Form HS-7 Declaration. (Vehicle older than 25 years.)
M - Vehicle description, specifications
N - Model year information.
M - Statement of facts on restoration, speedometer, pictures, etc.

Regards,

They did send this package to Sacto, but I had the registration in a week.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2357s ][ Queries: 4 (0.1830s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]