OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Just bought a new helmet...online. Not always the best choice, but I haven't seen Sparx locally and I wanted one of these:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I like the look, and the pearl white nicely matches my scooter. It's tight, not nearly as tight as the Z1R Ace I returned the week before, but still tighter than I'd like. No headache, no feeling like my head was being crushed...but very, very snug.

I'm just looking for reassurance that it's reasonable to expect it to loosing up a tiny bit as the foam compresses...otherwise, I really like this helmet. If it loosens up just a bit, it's perfect. I can even ride with the shield up and no odd whistling noise like my other helmets, and the in shield vents seem to really help with fogging.

Eric
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Yes, the softer linings do compress. Not the harder expanded polystyrene bits though - but they can be compressed with a well-aimed thumb if necessary. As long as it's no more than a millimeter or so there's no effective compromise to the system.
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Cool Jim...that's comforting. I've contemplated crushing the harder bit a little for my glasses line, but otherwise it's the soft bits that need to compress to make me totally happy.

Eric
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
And here I thougt it was head shrinkage that loosened them up.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
And here I thougt it was head shrinkage that loosened them up.
Perhaps a bit of both!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Snug is OK. In fact, it's good.
Just so long as you don't get headaches.
@ronin avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 180 BMW R1150R Suzuki Burgman 400

Addicted
@ronin avatar
Vespa Rally 180 BMW R1150R Suzuki Burgman 400
UTC quote
The first time you wear the helmet is the tightest that it will ever be. It should be almost painfully snug and should physically move your cheeks and forehead when the helmet if moved. The inside of you cheeks should be very close to your teeth, i.e. chewing gum should not be easy.

The helmet foam will compress slightly and form to the unique shape of your head over time. If you'd like to hasten the process, carefully remove the lining (if it's easily removable) and simply wash the pieces in regular shampoo. Carefully dry on a stand (not in the dryer), and equally as carefully reinstall them into the helmet.

Good luck and wear that helmet!
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Wore it riding in to work today...a nice 20 minute ride. The top is perfectly fine...just a tiny bit snug (a few lines on the old shaved dome), but no angry red pressure patches or anything of the sort, and no headache. The cheek pads match everyone's comments - too tight to comfortably chew gum. I feel like I'm wearing oppressive Elvis sideburns...I was contemplating asking if I were to buy replacement pads, would going down a size give me more room or do you replace up a size for room. However, I think I'll just let them be and let that soft foam compress a bit with time.

As for the helmet itself, the longer ride reinforced last night's impressions. You can ride with the visor up without that annoying whislting sound many helmets get (that'll be nice for hot days), the shield holds in several different positions, so it can be as open or closed as you like. Very quite helmet (compared to a 1/2 helm, 3/4 AFX Pilot style helmet, or Vespa 3/4 with shield attached). The quite factor is a huge plus for me, and made my brief interstate jaunt much nicer. With the shield down, no air/turbulence beneath the shield, and the vents in the shield are nice (I'll probably leave those open unless it's raining...which there is a slight chance of in the forecast today).

While it's a 3/4 helmet, it's almost closer to a full/modular without the chin guard. The shield goes down to my chin, the sides are much more full/protected when compared to my two other 3/4 helmets. Overall, it's just much nicer than the other two helmets I've been wearing the past few years.

Apart from the snug cheek guards, the only other issue is that it's a bit snug in the old pet carrier. Again, the culprits are the cheek guards which get in the way of the raised bump in the pet carrier. However, if I smush it down a bit, the seat closes fine. I'm pretty sure with time this will get better, and it's clearly just mildly annoying and not a problem.

OK, back to your regular scheduled programing.

Eric
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0127s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0043s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]