OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
Here we go again. I called my dealer after he figured out everything on my Malossi V 4 head's cooling system ,. Keep in min d it only has 273 miles since new. It was in the shop for what he thought was a rod knock. He said I could pick it up at 4:30 When I got there he informed me there was a squeaking noise . I listen to it. With the varator off it seemed to be behind the sealing plate. He did not run it yet. Just a short start then shut it down. Any ideas ???
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
With the variator off, you destroy the engine. The variator clamps the oil pump sprocket and the timing sprocket in place. So with it off,
1. The engine is not getting any oil pumped to it.
2. The timing sprocket disengages from the crankshaft, and the valve timing goes phut. The piston hits the valves and you have major problems.

I know! Just been there! Had to get new valves from Malossi. So I hope this mechanic hasn't destroyed your engine.

Mike
@techenigma avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@techenigma avatar
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
This doesn't seem like a competent scooter, or Vespa technician. I'd recommend someone else do the work. If that's an option of course. Just seems there could be issues with workmanship down the road.
OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
He did not run it with the variator off. It was on when he tried to start it. Turning it by hand with only the parts to keep the shaft tight were installed. Could the piston rings be installed in the wrong order making this noise .
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]