OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
I see in the Wiki there is a video showing how to change the oil on a LX150, but thats a little different then my Fly 150....at least i think it is.

Can anyone confirm its different to change the oil on these 2 types of scooters?

Also, if it is different, does anyone have any links on where i can find info on changing the oil on a Fly 150? I think im overdue and dont wanna do any damage.

Thanks in advance!!

-Sin
@fogie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@fogie avatar
UTC quote
The Fly and LX150 have identical engines. I haven't viewed the video, but I can't imagine there'd be much difference. Make sure you have appropriate tools, and figure out a way to avoid soaking the center-stand with oil.
OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
Fogie wrote:
The Fly and LX150 have identical engines. I haven't viewed the video, but I can't imagine there'd be much difference. Make sure you have appropriate tools, and figure out a way to avoid soaking the center-stand with oil.
ok awesome! guess i have a project on my days off!

also, which oil filter should i use? it doesnt say in the wiki article.

-Sin
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
As Fogie said, the engines are the same. The drain nut can be difficult to get to behind the exhaust. It's 24mm and brass with a black o-ring, so you should use a good fitting closed end wrench. I bought a short 15/16" combo wrench at Sears that gets the job done and allows you to get behind the exhaust. Otherwise you'll need to likely remove the exhaust to get a socket back there. You'll need a universal joint and 10mm socket for the header nuts. Daunting at first, but it can be done fairly easily. Reinstall the exhaust carefully if you need to remove it.

Be sure you have the correct filter and use quality 5W40 synthetic oil. Motul, Mobil 1 and Rotella are fan favorites, but totally your choice. Rotella is available at WalMart and is a great value. Should take a bit less than a liter of oil to refill.

To keep from making too large a mess, try cutting the top off a 1/2 gallon plastic milk/juice jug to hold directly under the drain hole to catch the oil. Or use a funnel to direct the oil to another container. You should also put down some newspaper or cardboard to catch any drippings.
OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
As Fogie said, the engines are the same. The drain nut can be difficult to get to behind the exhaust. It's 24mm and brass with a black o-ring, so you should use a good fitting closed end wrench. I bought a short 15/16" combo wrench at Sears that gets the job done and allows you to get behind the exhaust. Otherwise you'll need to likely remove the exhaust to get a socket back there. You'll need a universal joint and 10mm socket for the header nuts. Daunting at first, but it can be done fairly easily. Reinstall the exhaust carefully if you need to remove it.

Be sure you have the correct filter and use quality 5W40 synthetic oil. Motul, Mobil 1 and Rotella are fan favorites, but totally your choice. Rotella is available at WalMart and is a great value. Should take a bit less than a liter of oil to refill.

To keep from making too large a mess, try cutting the top off a 1/2 gallon plastic milk/juice jug to hold directly under the drain hole to catch the oil. Or use a funnel to direct the oil to another container. You should also put down some newspaper or cardboard to catch any drippings.
thanks for the info!!

do you know what type of oil filter i should be getting?

-Sin
@fogie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@fogie avatar
UTC quote
ft13 wrote:
thanks for the info!!

do you know what type of oil filter i should be getting?

-Sin
Here's a link for the oil filter: Leader 150 oil filter

As for the drain plug, I believe a 21mm (possibly 19 mm) box end wrench will handle it without removing the exhaust.

If you have overhead support (e.g. inside a garage), an easy way to avoid getting oil all over the place, is to leave the bike off the center stand and secure it with overhead straps, so you can lean it to the right while the oil drains.
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
Drain plug is 24mm No need to remove exhaust just buy the correct tools Nerd emoticon

I use a 6 sided shallow socket or buy a cheap normal one and cut down & file edges

The 24mm BMW oil filter socket is perfect for the job .

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
@fogie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@fogie avatar
UTC quote
super-fly wrote:
Drain plug is 24mm
You're absolutely right! I was thinking of the non-slotted filter size (and I could be wrong on that).
OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
excellent! thanks everyone!!

-Sin
UTC

Enthusiast
Fly 150

Enthusiast
Fly 150
UTC quote
Fly 150 service
I put together all my Fly 150 sevice notes in the following blog - it should help with some things - just read through all the notes

www.fly150service.blogspot.com

or just google - fly 150 service blogspot - it will come up
OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
Re: Fly 150 service
ronshelley wrote:
I put together all my Fly 150 sevice notes in the following blog - it should help with some things - just read through all the notes

www.fly150service.blogspot.com

or just google - fly 150 service blogspot - it will come up
awesome! thanks!!!

hopefully you update it often!! would love to read up on stuff for the same model i ride!!

-Sin
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0180s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0066s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]