OP
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Each year of my Vespa ownership has included some major health event. This year it's a stroke. Anyone else ride that has recovered from a stroke? I just finished spring service an hour or so before the "event". I expect to break out of this place Saturday. The weather is unbelievably warm. Definitely no riding until I see my family practice doc, but interested in communicating with anyone else with a similar experience. PM or email OK.

Don't worry i still have my asshat MB
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
So sorry and I don't see why you can't. I know a guy who rides a Harley who had one and does well. Did they catch it in time? Healing thoughts sent your way and if you need anything just holler. Hang in there
@bleubelle avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "Silvar""

Ossessionato
@bleubelle avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "Silvar""
UTC quote
Re: SSR any riders had a stroke?
tomjasz wrote:
Each year of my Vespa ownership has included some major health event. This year it's a stroke. Anyone else ride that has recovered from a stroke? I just finished spring service an hour or so before the "event". I expect to break out of this place Saturday. The weather is unbelievably warm. Definitely no riding until I see my family practice doc, but interested in communicating with anyone else with a similar experience. PM or email OK.

Don't worry i still have my asshat MB
I can't comment as a rider who's had a stroke personally, only as a healthcare professional. Whatever activities you can resume after your stroke depends on where it was located, and what motor and cognitive functions it may have affected.
If you're having partial paralysis (para or hemiplegia) , this would of course affect balance, steering and braking on the affected side. How are sensory functions affected (any hearing or visual deficits?)
If it's a cognitive issue, how is it affecting your ability to communicate, make decisions, retain memories? How is it affecting your emotional affect?
Finally, many medications would increase your risk for accidents or complicate an accident. If your stroke was ischemic and you're on blood thinners, any risk for physical injury would be compounded by increased blood loss. A significant bruise can lead to high risk problems like rhabdomyolysis.
Other meds like beta blockers can cause episodes of dizziness. So riding would not be recommended until you're used to their effects on you, which may take a few weeks or months.

If you don't have any lasting effects from your stroke then there is no reason why you cannot resume your regular activities once you're medically cleared to do so.
Glad you're still here to ask these questions, Louis. Oops, now it's Tomjasz. Sorry.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
Geez, Tom, really sorry to hear about that.

I don't know how severe yours was, but it's somewhat reassuring that you're able to type. I don't have any PTW-riding friends that have had a stroke that I'm aware of, but I do have a ukulele-building buddy who had a VERY severe stroke about four years ago. They told him it was likely that he'd never walk or be able to use his left hand in a coordinated manner again. He showed them; he's back to building instruments very skillfully and can even play the guitar and uke nearly as well as he could before the stroke. He's also been driving since he got out of rehab.
@fatmanscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
Il Porco (GTS125ie)

Addicted
@fatmanscoot avatar
Il Porco (GTS125ie)
UTC quote
Good friend of mine had a stroke a couple of months ago. He's a biker, and loves his truck. He was cleared to drive again recently. Don't think he's back on the bike yet, but he will be.

I think the answer to your question is "it depends".

Good luck with your recovery.
@karlu avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 Kymco People GTi300, '06 Yamaha Morphous,'10 Vespa GTS300s

Hooked
@karlu avatar
'12 Kymco People GTi300, '06 Yamaha Morphous,'10 Vespa GTS300s
UTC quote
Stroke
I had a stroke (brain bleed) about eighteen years ago. Spent a week or so in the hospital, then about eight weeks of speech therapy. I couldn't even read or say "Dick and Sally"!

Since about seventeen and a half years ago, I've been fine, with the only residual effects being one where it's sometimes difficult to find the correct word I want ( I think that's a residual effect, not just age), and occasionally dragging my right foot (the bleed occurred on the left side of the brain).

I wasn't riding then, but I went back to the office and spent the next four years working without any problems.

And, I then took up scooters, and there has been no problems at all...balance, vision, thought processes,etc all completely up to snuff. So, yes, it's entirely possible to recover at least 99% of your faculties. Each stroke has it's own characteristics and outcome, I think.

Hang in there.

karlu
las cruces, nm
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
UTC quote
I thought I wasn't seeing as much of you here but I haven't been around so much myself. Sorry to hear that, Tom. The fact that you're on here asking about riding suggests that it wasn't as serious as some can be. I hope you heal fast and well and can get back in the saddle soon.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Can't answer but...
Best wishes.

I'm sure you'll be riding soon!
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
Get well soon Tom, best wishes from the UK.
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
UTC quote
I've not experience it but the possibility does exist...I wish you well. Take things a day at a time...you may be surprised how things may turn out!

Best Wishes Tom!
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I don't know how long ago your cerebral event occurred, but it looks like you've gotten your language skills back pretty well. If you're physically sound you'll probably be ready before you feel comfortable. Heal well Tom, and remember, 'smile, raise both hands, and speak outloud'.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
As other said, it depends on where the bleeding occured, how much and how well you recover.

For some folks, recovery is 99-100% for others it dehabilitating. Given your posting here it is clearr that your stroke wasn't bad enough to leave you with severe cognitive and probably not major physical issues or you wouldn't be asking about riding again. Discuss with your doctor and therapist so they can give you advice based on your current condition and design a rehab to help make getting back on the scoot possible.
OP
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Thanks, I am home. Beat the gipper again! The lovely reacted quickly and The only obstacle is speaking, can't remember shit, and stutter. Anyone that knows me is likely enjoying the respite from my blather.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
Thanks, I am home. Beat the gipper again! The lovely reacted quickly and The only obstacle is speaking, can't remember shit, and stutter. Anyone that knows me is likely enjoying the respite from my blather.
My mother-in-law had a stroke Dec 4. She spent 2.5 weeks in rehab at a center after the hospital discharged her. Working with the therapist she can now remember everything except the 12 hours each side of her stroke. Initially she couldn't remember the week before or day after so if they gave you any mental exercises - do them. Same thing with speech therapy, initially it was a slurred but if you talk to her on the phone now you wouldn't even know she had one. Her primary residual is a weakness in one leg that they are working in physical therapy. She's been home since leaving the rehab center basically so appreciate your wife.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
Holy Shit!!! Tom, so sorry to read this. WTF!!

You seem to be in excellent spirits. My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Ciao-
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Hi Tom

So sorry to hear of your set back.

I always believe laughter is the best medicine so I hope it is appropriate to share a joke.....

Two Nuns walking through a park when a homeless dude jumps out of the bushes, pulls open his trenchcoat and flashes them.

One Nun had a stroke...............

the other wasn't quick enough.

Heal well, Kia kaha.
@skymizer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scoot Sold

Ossessionato
@skymizer avatar
Scoot Sold
UTC quote
Oh Tom, your post brought tears to my eyes. So sorry. As others said, you Sound good. I sure hope you get back to yourself (the guy we know and you know) as soon as possible. Do Whatever it takes Please, and definitely keep us all posted. Extra prayer tonight
@herfadore avatar
UTC

Addicted
21 speed TREK WAAAA!!

Addicted
@herfadore avatar
21 speed TREK WAAAA!!
UTC quote
Best wishes to you sir along with healing thoughts and few and small problems from here on out....
@turtle_gt avatar
UTC

Addicted
No more Vespa

Addicted
@turtle_gt avatar
No more Vespa
UTC quote
Argh!
You gotta stop watching the news.

Ride strong.
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Tom I hope you do a full recovery and get back to being the funny crank we love. All the best. Cheers Drew
OP
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
The smart ass seldom lets me down, when the nurse reminded me how lucky I was I reminded her that Lucky was a one eyed dog with no balls! Couldn't tell what day it was but I remembered that!
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
My mother had a stroke a while back. She understands speach fine and can still do taxes for the whole family but she also has trouble remembering words when she is speaking. Sometimes I'll know what she is trying to say but I don't know if she wants help or if she wants to do it herself.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Tom, I just read this news. Sent you a message.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
MATT ask her. Some do and some don't. I'm sure she'll tell you. Sorry about the stroke but glad she's doing well.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
The smart ass seldom lets me down, when the nurse reminded me how lucky I was I reminded her that Lucky was a one eyed dog with no balls! Couldn't tell what day it was but I remembered that!
Tom-

When you are retired, there is generally no need to know what day it is. Every day is Saturday. You remembered something more important. I, personally, would find you less the human if you were a precise chronograph and no longer the fun person I gotten to know here.

Best and warmest wishes for a speedy recovery.

Al
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
I don't have anything to add regarding riding after a stroke but I do know this.

I love you buddy and I'm praying for your full recovery.

Best,
David
@cyclekarl avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Vespa 150s, 2012 BMW F650GS, 2013 BMW F800 GT

Enthusiast
@cyclekarl avatar
2009 Vespa 150s, 2012 BMW F650GS, 2013 BMW F800 GT
UTC quote
I had a stroke two years ago. I got my balance back in about two weeks, I seem to be able to do things ok if I do them without thinking about what I am doing. I have trouble posting so I mostly just read the posts. Anyway about riding I have no trouble, I ride the scooter and two different motorcycles, one is 800 lbs. Most of the things I had trouble with have either gone away or I have learned to work arround them.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Tom-

My buddy had a minor stroke a couple of years ago. He and his wife always say that virtually all of his abilities came back quickly. Only skills he says haven't returned are the ability to clear the dinner table, wash and dry dishes, take out garbage, do laundry, pick up his dirty clothes and make the bed. She says they were greatly diminished skills to begin with.

Thought you might benefit from being aware of this.

Thinking of you.

Al
OP
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Best laugh of the week, thanks. Laughing emoticon
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Sending healing thoughts your way, Tom. Get yourself well, that's the first and most important thing.

Strokes are such varied things with such a wide range of short and long term affects on your abilities (physical and cognitive) that only your doc will be able to tell you what you should and shouldn't be trying.

I'm sure your GP will tell you this, but get a full neurological work-up before doing anything that requires strength and/or coordination.

Also, once you've had a stroke, your docs will tell you how to reduce the likelihood of a subsequent one. Listen to them. It might be something as simple as an aspirin regimen, staying active and hydrated... and it might be something more.

Now that you've had a stroke, make sure your friends and family know to act F.A.S.T. (Facial Weakness, Arm & Leg Weakness, Speech Problems, Time is Critical), and to call your local emergency number IMMEDIATELY if they notice even one!

And I know from my own family experience that even repeated lectures aren't always enough: [NSR] Not just a river in Egypt... (a rant)
@broz avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4

Hooked
@broz avatar
2001 ET4
UTC quote
Tom,
I'm praying for a speedy and complete recovery. Sorry to hear the news.
Broz
OP
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Sending healing thoughts your way, Tom. Get yourself well, that's the first and F.A.S.T. (Facial Weakness, Arm & Leg Weakness, Speech Problems, Time is Critical), and to call your local emergency number IMMEDIATELY if they notice even one!

And I know from my own family experience that even repeated lectures aren't always enough: [NSR] Not just a river in Egypt... (a rant)
Thanks to the lovely ones attention to detail, I'm told i got appropriate treatment early enough to avoid a devastating event. Regardless of Dr.'s advise it's been a great help to hear others experience. The CRS (Can't Remember Shit) is really most frustrating, second only to losing track in the middle of a sentence. I'm making progress already, and the stutter is almost gone already and balance is in normal range. Recommended meds are crazy expensive. My EU friends came through and i have a 3 month supply coming for what two weeks priced out at in US pharmacy.
Thanks all, it's been very helpful getting the feedback and support.
The only stroke sufferers I know are 20-30 years older and would never ride PTW. This is a humbling experience.
@salima_draghetta avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@salima_draghetta avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
post deleted by Salima
⚠️ Last edited by Salima Draghetta on UTC; edited 1 time
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Hi Buddy

I have been thinking about your post for the past weekend. Hope your MD visit went well yesterday. The reason I am writing you is because I have had to deal with memory loss for the past 8 years and I think I can help you. If your problem is motor and not cognitive disregard this message or just conisder it as a catharsis from an MV friend.

My memory loss is secondary to several factors. I took 4 months of 3x a week chemotherapy for stage 3 cancer in 2005 (chemo brain). I have had Hep C since I was a teenager (fluctuating levels of ammonia cause sudden levels of consciousness), and I am HIV positive on a cocktail that make me feel like I am always in a haze.

I live alone and I am pretty self sufficient. Having a background as a registered nurse has helped me taylor a care plan:

1. Acceptance: Even slight loss of memory will change the way you perceive your surroundings and the people around you. Be good on yourself and place your main priority on embracing this new personality that the loss has brought you.

2. Double check yourself: Even though I put all my meds in those little pills boxes, I still miss doses. Sometimes I do things that go beyond just forgetting where my reading glasses are. Some of these are/may be ultimately dangerous. Stuff like leaving my doors unsecured at night and just leaving the door wide open before I leave home are pretty daily occurances. My advice: double check or if you feel like you have to, triple-check yourself.

3. Simplicity: I have learned to keep my physical environment pretty simple. It helps me and gives me a sense of control. When my memory fails it is simpler for me to back track to find out what I was doing by keeping my home uncluttered.

4. Patience: Life has taught me to be an expert in word finding. When I was a child I used to stutter a lot. My stutter was associated with certain phonemes or words starting with a vowel (very common in Portuguese). For years I've been able to hide the fact that sometimes I can't finish a sentence the way that I want to because of my early experience with stuttering. Today that has changed and pretty much all my friends know that sometimes somehow I cannot finish my sentences. My participation in this forum is misleading in the sense that I have a long time to think, rewrite, edit, and so on. Be patient with yourself and realize that some social isolation will result from your loss.

5. Make the most out of the good times. Cognitive deficits come and go sometimes. Yours is propably different than mine. Even then you will notice that there will be bad and good days. Make the most out of the good days and relax on those bad days.

Max
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0268s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0091s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]