OP
UTC

Enthusiast
LX50 2T, PK80/135

Enthusiast
LX50 2T, PK80/135
UTC quote
Hi all,

Firstly hello to everyone! I actually own a Vespa PK (135 conversion) rather than a modern bike but as of tomorrow morning I will also have an ET4 50.

So, whilst I'm perfectly happy working on my old bike I have no idea when it comes to the modern kind. Will be riding it home from collection tomorrow so any pointers as far as general maintenance and operation would be most appreciated. Are there any things I should check over once I have it in the same way you'd check oil and water on a car for example? And are there other little things to watch out for e.g. have seen some people talking about not filling the petrol tank to the top.

Thanks, and thanks in advance for any tips.
Matt
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
First thing, if it's a 50, it's an ET2. ET4s are 125s or 150s.

What year is it and how many miles on it?

If you don't know the maintenance history, then an oil (engine and gear) changes and a new oil filter are good idea.

If it has over 9,500Km or so, I'd also check the transmission: belt, rollers and clutch. The clutch can often use a good cleaning and blowout; dust and debris in there from belt wear will hamper performance.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
There were ET4 50's in the RotW. I've helped a friend work on one.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
LX50 2T, PK80/135

Enthusiast
LX50 2T, PK80/135
UTC quote
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

And yes, there was indeed an ET4 50cc version.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Check the oil level occasionally. I don't know what version of the ET4 50 you have, but I bet you have an oil sight-glass rather than a dip-stick. If you can see oil half-way up the sight-glass when the cold bike is on the centre-stand on level ground - all is good. In ideal circumstances the oil level won't change much. Riding at WOT (wide open throttle) will increase oil consumption though.

I rather thought the ET4 50's were air-cooled - if so (I could be wrong) then no water to check.

Belts need to be inspected on these every few thousand miles. Rootle around the Wiki for clues as to how to get the belt out to examine and possibly change. I don't think there's anything in there directly addressing the ET4 50, but there should be enough clues. Specifically, once you've the belt in your hands, turn it inside out and look for cracking starting between the 'teeth'. Any sign of that - change the belt. Busting a belt can write-off the engine.

Apart from that, there's the usual glance at brake pads etc, but it's otherwise ride for 3-4,000 miles and then give it an oil change and check of transmission bits (belt and rollers).
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
There were ET4 50's in the RotW. I've helped a friend work on one.
The what where?

We need to change the Wiki!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Rest of the World.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
LX50 2T, PK80/135

Enthusiast
LX50 2T, PK80/135
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, all appreciated.

One question - yes, I do have a sightglass underneath where the oilfill is. Is it normal with this to have no dipstick? What I have is like the usual dipstick but without the stick if that makes sense. It's not broken off, just looks like it never had it.
Anyway, will get on the floor and check the sightglass tomorrow but from a quick look (whilst still standing up) the glass looks black and like I'm not going to see anything. Does this happen sometimes, is it normal? And if so how do I check the oil level?
Thanks!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0127s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]