OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
worked all day on the Bajaj Chetak, only to make it worse then when i began.
where I'm at now is I'm trying to adjust my cables. yesterday I rode it around, but the gear selection was very hit or miss. Lot's of false neutrals and such.

today I took the selector box off and readjusted the cables and made sure the bat wing moved easily. I put the selector rod in 1st and put the bat wing in first and then put it back together. I could roll it around the shop and move through the gears. But when I started it I couldn't find any gears. I could move the gear selector in either direction and it was like being in neutral. If i turned it off, I could find all gears, 1 to 4. started it back up and no gears.

Also the kick start lever went down and stand down a few times. I could only get it to come back up by rolling the scooter around in gear.

Help?
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Bump.

Any opinion On this? I really don't know what I should try next. I'm afraid that just trying some random thing will only make it worse, if that's possible.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
It sounds like maybe you didn't get the gear selector lever into the groove on the selector spindle correctly. When I put the selector box back on, I pull the round selector spindle (#38 in the link below) out as far as it will go. Roll the wheels slightly to get it to move out.

http://www.scooterhelp.com/manuals/VLB.VNC.VBC.parts.manual/page06.jpg

Then turn your gear selector so that the lever on the selector box extends out as far as it will go. Now you should be able to get the flat, swiveling tab on the selector lever into the groove on the selector spindle.

Next, rotate the gear lever little by little and align the selector box onto the mounting studs as you go. This should pull the selector box into place.

All of this assumes that the Bajaj is put together similarly to the Vespa. I hope this helps. Good luck.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
thank you! That makes sense, because I was pretty sketchy on that part and your diagnoses has the ring of truth to it. thanks again.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
Let us know what you figure out. It adds to the collective knowledge base.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Yes I certainly will. I really want to be able to give more then receive, but it's going to take time for me to get there, i'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks again.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
well, you were right killo, the gear selector wasn't in the groove. I put it together just like you suggested and now I'm sure that's not the problem.

now I'm back to the original problem. it was very hard to get into gear, but it was finding gear, but when it did it was accompanied by a terrible grinding noise. the kick start lever continued to go down and stay down. I could finesse it back up with some mild force. by the end of the night the kick starter had no tension, as if the clutch was pulled. I messed with the tension of the clutch cable, but tightening nor loosening did any good, so that's where I left it.

I'm beginning to fear the worse.

Good news is, the scoot starts and idles great! ; )
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
clutch is wacked
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
any tips on how to unwacked?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Take ALL of the tension out of the clutch cable by loosening the pinchbolt and pulling the clutch lever. The kickstart should work. You should be able to change gears while rocking the scoot back and forth, but not if you don't rock it. When finding gears while rocking, the engine should turn a little when in gear if you rock hard enough.
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
UTC quote
blackbart wrote:
...if you rock hard enough.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak

Hooked
1980 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
I like it. do you happen to have an animation of a stick figure beating a 1980 Bajaj Chetak with a baseball bat?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
astromags wrote:
blackbart wrote:
...if you rock hard enough.
He said, "Rock Hard." Now my vision and hope of rock hard is an adjective. Nice animation.
@shopkin avatar
UTC

Hooked
81 P200E

Hooked
@shopkin avatar
81 P200E
UTC quote
I-man wrote:
I like it. do you happen to have an animation of a stick figure beating a 1980 Bajaj Chetak with a baseball bat?
Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0249s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0149s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]