OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Hi folks - I've had a two times recently, now that it's warmed up a lot, where it won't start without multiple attempts and opening the throttle like mad. It feels like it's not getting gas to keep it going.

Removing the pet carrier, I see air (big old air pockets) in the fuel line.

I'd never had a starting problem before, and this all happened as it has warmed up from the 50s to the 80s suddenly and about 3 days after seriously overfilling my gas tank. I disconnected the that hose that runs to the charcoal canister on the ET4 tonight, so I'll see if that helps.

Is this vapor lock? I did a search, but never came up with hits for air in fuel line. Any tips other than waiting?

I know I can try unscrewing the gas cap if it won't start, so that's an option...I'm mainly after advice and diagnostic help.

What's also weird is that both times the non-starting happened about 1 hour after riding home from work. If I start it up again shortly after stopping, it's fine. Sitting for 3-8 hours at work both days it seems fine, too...might just be coincidence, but thought I should mention it.

Thanks,

Eric
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
JAY did it start? What scooter do you have?
OP
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Hi Judy,

It's an ET4. It's started every time since then, and I even rode it after letting it sit about an hour. Looking at it this morning after running an errand, and just now...it seems like there is less air in the gas line having pulled the evap canister hose off the carb (I pulled the hose off at the T not where it attaches to the carb). I wonder if that's helping.

I bought the ET4 late last September, and I remember on hotter days it was always a bit touchier to start. However, that's the same for my minarelli based 49cc 2t I have, too.

Has anyone else pulled their pet carriers out and looked at their gas lines (especially if you're somewhere where it has started warming up after winter)?

Anyone else see some air in their gas line?

If it's not the air in the line causing problems, I may have gotten a bad tank of gas. This all started after overfilling the tank, and the gas is 91 octane ethanol free. Because of cost, and it being a smaller station...I"m guessing the gas could have less than stellar. I may just go with ethanol based 91 octane where I know there is higher turnover in future.

Eric
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0108s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]