@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Well, it happened. This evening on my way home from work the GT200 kept stalling out at idle, but was fine at speed or with the throttle open. I filled it on the way into work today and then had a commute of about 20 miles at almost WOT. It was WARM today - 81 degrees - and the GT sat in the sun most of the day. The gas gauge still read pretty close to full.

On the way home it would stall at idle, but if I kept the rear brake engaged and held the throttle open a bit while stopped it was just fine. It killed a few times, but I was always able to start it back up with the throttle open.

Pretty sure this is evap, yes?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Hopefully just the evap crap - but the symptoms are very similar to what I started to experience coming back from the MVGISR last year. I do hope it's not a stuck valve (have you ever overheated?) or a damaged stator.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Yes, I have overheated several times, but the scooter...not so much.

I've only had it since Feb of this year and have put on about 300 miles - mostly in 30 - 60 degree weather (fahrenheit). The warmth of today at 81 had me wondering. Perhaps it did overheat? The ride home was about 22 miles and it killed about 5 times.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It might just need a carb clean and the idle mixture and idle speed setting up. Old gunk in the tank may finally have made its way to the jets OR the jets have cleared of old gunk and now the idle mixture is wrong.

Set it up when the bike is fully warmed up.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like evap. Pull the hose-it's useless!

You can vapor lock with the evap disconnected as well and other things can cause a stall like that but this is the easiest culprit to eliminate and could very well be the cause.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
alright, i've got the hose off.

interestingly enough though, when i walked into the garage to take care of this little matter, i immediately noticed the smell of gasoline. my husband said he also noticed this when he got home from work.

other things to check?
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
yes
all your fuel lines...i have the same year and model, and experienced similar circumstances...take your scoot to a napa or other diy auto parts store, show them the hoses and get them to cut the material for you, and you'll need clamps. there was just a thread about "clamp preferences"...clamps with screws can be a bit fiddly, i prefer spring steel ring clips/clamps.

replace your fuel filtre, and clean/replace your air box filtre.

oh, and just today i 'discovered' that the main fuel line was loose and spilling fluid while i was riding. pulled over, and performed a road side repair on it.
so glad for a stocked repair kit and tools.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Thanks everyone. I'll be checking into all these things tomorrow. Thankfully there is a Napa about 2 miles away.

I appreciate your suggestions and will be sure to report back.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
scootergirl72 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'll be checking into all these things tomorrow. Thankfully there is a Napa about 2 miles away.

I appreciate your suggestions and will be sure to report back.
You can take it to Napa, but a Vespa dealer would actually be able to find, recognize and repair any issues!

If you backed up gas into the evap system, you might smell gas. Also, check for any gas dripping under the scooter.

Before going to Napa, I'd go for a ride and see how it runs, if it stalls and if you smell gas at the end of it.

You may have also flooded the air filter. If you open up the box, it might be damp, but if it's drenched, you'll bog down when riding.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Since getting home last night I've been reading a LOT in this forum.

The first thing I'm going to do is take it for a little spin (if I can). If I have to keep the throttle open at idle, I fear this will exacerbate the fuel smell problem.

The second thing I'm going to do this morning is check the filters and dry them out if they in fact got soaked. I had an ET4 that would do this on occasion as well. Someone bought that scooter from me several years ago and they've been running non-ox fuel in it with no problems.

The first 2 things I can do bright and early. The 3rd thing is to call my dealer. A friend of mine works there and she said it sounds like vapor lock, but I should talk to the mechanic and he'll give me some things to try.

If that doesn't resolve... I'll then get my husband involved. He's a master certified technician. And as he says... "they don't call me 2-stroke McLeland for nothing"...in reference to his mechanical abilities,of course.

And yes, I know this is a 4-stroke.

Thanks everyone!
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
o.k. after removing the evap hose, i was looking in the engine compartment and found a couple of things to ask you all about.

Fuel Valve... it's clear to me that this 'label' was probably added, but is it common to have a fuel shut off in the line or was this added post-purchase?

Black hose - there is an errant hose that looks as it should be connected to something (has a clamp & everything), but I can't find what it should be connected to. The yellow-ish one is the evap hose that I disconnected. The black one is attached to the case but is just hanging out. Should this be connected to something and if so, what?

any help is appreciated. thanks all!
fuel valve - is this a standard item?
fuel valve - is this a standard item?
black hose.... attaches to what exactly?
black hose.... attaches to what exactly?
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
There's no fuel shut off valve according to the workshop manual.

I'd say someone got creative once the fuel tap (aka 'valve') failed. the tap's vacuum operated, so they just put in an old school shut off tap.

Scooterwest carries the OEM fuel tap for $35.
Fuel tap

There links to the GT200 workshop manual in the Wiki section. The manual includes a diagram of the fuel system.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Uh... weird. But the previous owner's creativity might be why you smell gas. Wonder why they wouldn't just replace the stock fuel tap?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It was the complicated fix instead of working out why the vacuum hose that's been removed (according to the pictures) wasn't working.

Take this back to stock condition (apart from any evap crap if applicable) and you'll be fine.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Thanks. Until I can get it back to stock, should I be turning the fuel tap off?

I appreciate your input and help.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
that black hose goes straight down and terminates near the bottom of your engine compartment; to atmosphere. it needs to be re connected to a fitting, on the right side and bottom of your carburettor [using your pic]. you should see it, just fit the tube back on.

i think you can see clearly where this tube needs to be re attached on page 191 of the workshop manual chapter 10.11.8

hth

ps...download the manuals and save them to your desktop for future references...
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
scootergirl72 wrote:
Until I can get it back to stock, should I be turning the fuel tap off?

Yes.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Thanks everyone. I had not seen the shop manuals so I now have that downloaded to my computer. Lots and lots of good stuff in there.
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
fairly well?
The black hose is reconnected.

I cruised around for about 22 miles this afternoon and at first it didn't want to stay running at idle. Then it did... Then I did some faster speeds and it wanted to kill at idle, but I just kept the throttle open a skosh so it wouldn't die.

Until I can get it back to stock with the vacuum fuel deal, my new process is to turn the fuel line off when I park it in addition to releasing pressure from the tank by opening and then closing the gas cap.

Thanks again for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
UTC quote
Re: fairly well?
scootergirl72 wrote:
Until I can get it back to stock with the vacuum fuel deal, my new process is to turn the fuel line off when I park it in addition to releasing pressure from the tank by opening and then closing the gas cap.

The pressure in the gas tank is a another problem (separate to the fuel tap mod) that can lead to rough running. I'd do the evap mod EVAP Hose Removal and see if that helps your poor idle.
@zagato avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTV 250ie

Addicted
@zagato avatar
Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
The previous owner may have added the fuel valve so he/she could drain the carb prior to winter storage. That's a common practice in my area on cars/bikes/generators/anything with a carb so the fuel doesn't gunk up the little holes.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Re: fairly well?
Harvey wrote:
scootergirl72 wrote:

The pressure in the gas tank is a another problem (separate to the fuel tap mod) that can lead to rough running. I'd do the evap mod EVAP Hose Removal and see if that helps your poor idle.
Not sure if this is the same on the GT but on other scooters, pressure in the tank is a sure sign of an issue with the evap system. There shouldn't be any. On the GT, disconnecting the evap hose should alleviate this. If not, the hose might be plugged at the top, where it connects to the tank. Some people might do this to circumvent the evap system, but if they do, they should vent the gas cap to prevent pressure build ups that can result in vapor lock.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
i was wondering about that too, eric. if the evap hose was disconnected, then that should be an open loop, yeah?
... barring any other "mods"...
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
richardsan wrote:
i was wondering about that too, eric. if the evap hose was disconnected, then that should be an open loop, yeah?
Maybe look for a silver paint pen note: "Oh, yeah, I plugged up this deal, too!"
OP
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
richardsan wrote:
Maybe look for a silver paint pen note: "Oh, yeah, I plugged up this deal, too!"
No other silver notes to be found.

I should mention that I put the hose back on the carb because I don't have anything to use as a filter yet. That is why (guessing) the gas cap exhaled when I last took it off. Must.get.filter.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1938s ][ Queries: 6 (0.1810s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]