UTC

Lurker
Vespa GTS250 ie

Lurker
@spiro avatar
Vespa GTS250 ie
UTC quote
Hello Vespa people!

First post on this board. I just made arrangements for purchase of my very first Vespa. I've owned a few bigger bikes over the last 12-13 years, but I've been on a 2-wheel break for a while. As I'm growing quite tired of sitting in traffic in my 4-wheel box, I had to get back into the bikes. Always been curious of the scooter-world, and I'm really fond of Italy. Hence - I've taken a bit of a risk... Bought a GTS 250 ie from pictures only. Reason for this, it's a 2007 with 1250 miles on it. Perfect condition - supposedly. It's sitting in a garage 1080 miles away so I've decided to risk it. The current owner seems really nice. So, cross your fingers for me, I'm picking it up sometime next week.

So, introduction done - I have a few questions.

Grunt
Most of my bikes have been fitted with exchaust systems for extra grunt and power. What's the best choice for my GTS 250?

Performance parts
Any easy upgades that I can fit myself? Like air filters etc? (I know my way around the common tools. Nerd emoticon )

Bling
Any nice upgrades that won't cost me my marriage?

Best regards
-Stig-
Freezing Norwegian

Here she is. (Pic from the seller.)
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@everyman avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250

Hooked
@everyman avatar
2007 GTS250
UTC quote
Starter
Ok -

First thing is to let go of the traditional motorcycle tuning ideas. They don't all apply to Modern Vespas.

1. Pipes for grunt and power - Short version none. They largely improve appearance and sound. Read Do Performance Exhausts actually "Perform"

2. Bang for buck mods are but a search away. Most folks start with the variator or changing roller weights. Search for Dr Pulley, Malossi and Polini Variator. And Dr. Pulley sliders. I have the Polini 9 roller and love it. It gave lots of good grunt and mid range. Didn't change the off the line quickness but I haven't dialed in the weights to my satisfaction.

There is an airbox mod I've done it and found it gave a bit more pep but nothing dramatic. Air Filter mod - picture and measurements added.

3. Bling. No. There are no bling pieces that don't strain marital relations. Although getting my wife to help me make my own stickers was mostly fun.

Andrew
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
A warm Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. Very nice scooter. I'm not into the all the aftermarket stuff most are. Maybe a guy thing Laughing emoticon However if you put some Malossi shocks on it your ride will be so much better. Even i can tell the difference on the ride with a front one installed. Have fun and be careful of the reindeer.
⚠️ Last edited by judy on UTC; edited 1 time
@tpring avatar
UTC

Hooked
Fly 150, Stella

Hooked
@tpring avatar
Fly 150, Stella
UTC quote
Welcome, from the snowy/rainy Washington [the other Washington].

The only upgrades I would recommend are already installed. I would just recommend checking and replacing all the usual fluids/parts based on the mileage/year because it sounds like it's been idle for a while.

Enjoy it.

How are you getting it to your place 1100 miles away?

Edit: Read up about fuel pump issues.
⚠️ Last edited by tpring on UTC; edited 1 time
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
Welcome Spiro!

I'm kind of with Judy for the extras. Otherwise, I think Everyman has steered you well. Lots of people have done a lot of tinkering, and doing searches, looking through projects, photo gallery may give you some inspiration. And you can always ask specific questions when you're ready to try something. Welcome, and enjoy the new scoot!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I did also put in a different headlight bulb (HiViz 8k ice blue) and switched my turn signals to the Euro one. I added dual lights to them, running HiViz and amber turns.. Put a strip of led's that are linked to my brakes on as well. You can't see my brake lights very well if i have my rear rack down. PAP maybe you spoke too soon. Laughing emoticon I think of aftermarket stuff being belts rollers, mufflers etc. Mine are more safety mods.
@everyman avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250

Hooked
@everyman avatar
2007 GTS250
UTC quote
Oh and welcome.
Sorry. I geek sometimes and forget my manners. Welcome to Vespa-land. I too bought a low mile 2007 GTS 250ie. I love it and all the money I saved not buying a new 300 GTS I got to spend on mods!
@misu avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie Excalibur

Hooked
@misu avatar
2006 GTS 250ie Excalibur
UTC quote
Re: Greetings from a scoot newbie - questions...
sweet vespa!

nice extras in the top case and windscreen -- both very practical accessories.

as for exhaust, yes if you do a search, you'll find it adds very little in terms of performance. just looks and different noise. so up to you.

other performance upgrades, i would focus more on suspension. your vespa has pretty low miles though so you may want to ride it a bit and see if it's to your liking. play around with the rear shock settings.
when the time comes consider jettin rear bushings, maybe adjustable bitubo front shock, maybe a 140 rear tire

bling, you can definitely chrome it out, front rack, front/rear crash bars. personally i think your bike looks great as is, but i do find my front rack quite useful for grocery runs. if you don't like the stock seat (i personally do like), consider a gtv leather split seat or custom corbin.

other useful upgrades: stebel horn, battery charger lead, ac outlet for phones/gps

congrats and enjoy!
OP
@spiro avatar
UTC

Lurker
Vespa GTS250 ie

Lurker
@spiro avatar
Vespa GTS250 ie
UTC quote
Wow! Friendly crowd. Thanks for the replies guys.

Andrew - good tips, and I love your avatar! Maybe that's my first stop. Stickers rather than bling. I do love the old Herbie-rally-look. Maybe I'll get some vinyl tape and bring my 5-yearold out in the yard. Clown emoticon I have to be honest when it comes to the exchaust question. It's mostly sound and looks I'm after with that mod. I don't like it when a scoot sounds like a blender, and quite frankly the muffler part of my new ride is the only thing that's actually ugly. I will however have to rememer your advice - get the bike thinking out of my frozen skull and start grinding scoot ideas.

Judy, I'll have you know the snow is gone, and we are up to a whopping 32 degres fahrenheit, so it's really getting quite hot now. Headache emoticon I'm not jealous of your climate at all. Really. Uhrm... Believable? Hmm. Anyway - Malossi is a known brand for me. It smells (stinks) of childhood and trying to get the 50cc mopeds to get above walking speeds. (And of course of the cops busting us for using their illegal trimheads.) Aaahh. Good times. Anyway - safety mods are smart. Guess you can never be to visible.

tpring, I'm having a freight-company do the most of the work for me. It was picked up by them from the seller today, so 2-3 more days and I'm scooting! Yay! I'll most definately check up on the fuel pump issue. Didn't know there was one, but I'll be sure to call my local Vespa garage and find out.

Paperino, those are good tips. I've gone through a few galleries already, and I must say there are som bumped heads out there. Some crazy stuff being done to close to perfect rides. Guess we all have our need to stand out. Any good tips for nice galleries is much appreciated.

misu, I agree that the top box and screen are both practical, but I'm leaning towards removing the screen. Think it looks a little to chunky. For most commute days, I'll pop on my backpack and full-face lid. I must say thought that the backrest on the box is a nice feature for peace of mind if I were to bring one of my kids out for a ride. The front rack really looks the part. Migth get that one. As for the Stebel horn, that one is definaltely on my list. Just have to find a dealer for it in Norway. Is it the Stebel Compact that will fit in place of the original honker? I'll check out the Corbin seats. Seen a few of those on bikes, and they are really cool! Didn't know they do Scoot-seats.

Best regards everyone, and thanks for the warm welcome.

-S-
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Sprio

Welcome aboard from the beautiful Aegean. My recommendation for add-ons:

miles and miles of safe and enjoyable riding.

Kalo dromo
OP
@spiro avatar
UTC

Lurker
Vespa GTS250 ie

Lurker
@spiro avatar
Vespa GTS250 ie
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Sprio

Welcome aboard from the beautiful Aegean. My recommendation for add-ons:

miles and miles of safe and enjoyable riding.

Kalo dromo
Thanks! Ain't that the truth! Well put. Riding comes first.

-S-
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Welcome to MV! Give yourself a few hundred miles with the windshield in place. It makes an amazing difference at speed when it is cold.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0187s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0064s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]