OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I've decided to start shopping for a used Vespa in earnest. I looked at a 2007 GTV 250 yesterday that was fun to drive, easy on the eyes and in decent cosmetic condition. That said, I noticed a good amount of rust on the muffler, the leather seats looked pretty weatherized, there's a small dent on the side of the floorboard and the red button on the handlebars looked washed out, probably due to sunbleaching. I gather from this that it was left outside and uncovered for a good amount of its life.

As a novice in these matters, I'm not sure if these blemishes are more than skin deep; or put another way, do all these things point to a pattern of neglect that would affect the mechanical condition of the Vespa?
The owner mentioned that she was driving it recently when the engine suddenly got abnormally loud. By her account, it was repaired with a patch to the exhaust. I've asked for service records before I'll pull the trigger.

Of course, these are just the things I was able to observe, which altogether might not mean much. But since I'm not mechanically inclined, I don't know what else to look for.

So, here's my question (finally): For a 5 year old Vespa w/about 10k miles and the cosmetic issues I've described, what mechanical questions should I try to get answers to, and/or what repairs should I be prepared to pay for when/if I buy?
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
First, find out if she had the fuel pump replaced under the recall. Get the VIN and send a PM to SDG to find out if it was under recall.

Second, you did not mention mileage. If it is over 7K to 10K, then it is due (possibly overdue) for belt/rollers replacement.

The exhaust noise is not a worry, the metal exhaust gasket is prone to failure. Newer ones are better built, or there is an alternative Yamaha replacement. (Not OEM, use at yer own risk, blah blah blah)

Check the tires, they last about 5K, and pretty bloody expensive to replace if you have the shop do all of the work. That back tire is a bugger to remove, lots of stuff in the way.

Check the breaks, make sure they are not too worn. Should not be, they last a long time if the rider does not drag them. Cheap part, lots of labor if you are not up to it.

Rusting muffler is par for the course, repaint it or ignore it.

P.S. Others will join in with more info, I am sure I missed something. Oh, check the oil, make sure no sign of coolant, just like any other motor.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
I have a 2006 LX150 that I bought used from a used car dealer. I was lucky I didn't have any issues. Since there are major differences between the LX and GT, I can't really help. 

You might want to check Dave Dixon' blog, and in particular, the following posts that describe the issue he ran into with a used GTS in December last year. A simple oil change by an experienced Vespa mechanic would have indicated there was a problem.

http://lx50vespa.blogspot.ca/2011/12/hiyo-silver-metallic-oil.html

http://lx50vespa.blogspot.ca/2011/12/ho.html

http://lx50vespa.blogspot.ca/2012/02/finally.html

Good luck with that scoot!

Oh! and welcome to MV!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0139s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]