@puttesson avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Mp3 500ie

Hooked
@puttesson avatar
Piaggio Mp3 500ie
UTC quote
How about adding a original Piaggio central saddle opener to your Mp3, so you don't always have to fiddle around for your key, somewhere deep in your pocket when you need to open the saddle?

Follow me in these few simple steps, and you will soon have an original saddle opener on you Mp3!!

During the winter hibernation for my Mp3 250 i.e. LT, I did the usual Tupperware removal, for inspection, cleaning, maintenance and servicing.

When removing the Tupperware on the handlebar, I discovered two separate wires, just under the "central handlebars cover". Hmmmm, could this be the wires for the "central saddle push button", you see on some Mp3´s - the 400´s and the 500´s??

Yepp, it is! Tried with a plain switch, and it worked! Lovely.

If you would like to do this mod, order the following Piaggio parts:
- 656037 Central handlebars cover
- 582988 Saddle opening button
- 641742 Trunk open push button

I´ve ordered my parts from AJ Sutton in the UK, because they are rather close, not so expensive and they are good to deal with. Total amount spent for the parts was 45 GBP, = 72 USD + p/p.

This is the parts you need:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Looks like this when opened:

Lets go ahead! Remove the old central handlebar cover:

Buried a bit in "the cave", you will find these two wires, one for the saddle, the black one and one for the trunk, the white one:

Then just push the two buttons in to the holes on the new central handlebar cover:

Now connect the two wires to the push buttons. The saddle opener should be placed to the left and the trunk opener to the right, if you would like to have it as it is done by Piaggio.
Then just place the new central cover back in position, and secure it with the screw:

Attention!!
The saddle/trunk opener will be active even if the key lock is set to "OFF" and the key is extracted!!
To break the power/circuit you will have to move the key to "LOCK" position. When doing that it is impossible to open the saddle/trunk!

Now it is just to remove the "Mp3" logo to the new cover.
First let the old cover, with the Mp3 logo, lay for a few minuets in warm water. This will make the transmission easier. (You could also try a hair dryer, but be careful, the plastic can be melted/deformed.)

Now comes the hard part - to place the letters in a acceptable position, tricky but do-able....

A note to those of you who has the 250 - the trunk opener will not work unless you buy the "electroactuator", with you need to be able to open the trunk with the new button added. The wiring is already in place, so you "just" need the opening parts, which can be found here: http://www.PIAGGIOspares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?ModelID=13722&pageID=02.46&m=MP3+400+IE+LT+TOURING+M474M+Antenna+for+immobilizer&uid=0

Connecting the trunk opener will be another mod, another day. For now I am just happy to be able to open the saddle with a button or the key by remote. Now I have some more options!!

Good luck with your own mod!!

//Puttesson
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Great walkthrough

Looks great
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
nice report and very good job. a good option for 25/400 riders but the 500 fuoco ain't like this on the handle bars.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
nice report and very good job. a good option for 25/400 riders but the 500 fuoco ain't like this on the handle bars.
2009 and earlier 400's aren't so equipped either.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0163s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0072s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]