OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
But not just any armored riding pants. Of course all the armor in the usual places but something with armor on the front of the thigh. Specifically the top of the thigh.

I have been searching and found some of those undershort things but none seem to have it where I want it. Well aside from hockey pads. Anyway the closest thing I have seen are these. http://xelementgear.com/p/Leather-Chaps--pants/Xelement-Mens-Street-Rider-Convertible-Motorcycle-Pants/99221.html

Any suggestions on a brand that might work or ideas on how to add armor to this area will be greatly appreciated.
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6064
Location: Northants UK
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6064
Location: Northants UK
UTC quote
I'm on a similar search Sticky, but like you I'm struggling to find armoured trousers that tick all the boxes I want. This pair from Australian Bikers Gear is the closest I can find at the moment - they are imported into the UK.

Those trousers that I've seen with hip 'armour' is often just padding like closed cell foam inserts. Sounds like you've had similar experiences. I'd like some decent hip armour too. There's the DIY approach I guess - if you picked up a CE back armour sheet, you may be able to cut/trim it into 2 or more hip peices, and stitch in some pockets inside your favourite trousers...

http://www.bikersgearaustralia.com/details.php?TiD=MTc2LTIzMC0wLTc2Mg==&Txid=a60d589aed1ca1ce186f91d517600e0b
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22470
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22470
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2959
 
Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2959
UTC quote
You are probably thinking something like this?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bohn-body-armor/
@kevinr avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 Vespa GTS Yacht Club
Joined: UTC
Posts: 116
Location: Sonoma County, CA
 
Hooked
@kevinr avatar
2020 Vespa GTS Yacht Club
Joined: UTC
Posts: 116
Location: Sonoma County, CA
UTC quote
I can vouch for this product line: http://www.johnsonleather.com/strap_on_limbs.htm

Forcefield armor is very comfortable and lightweight. CE rated and they seem to win most magazine tests for their products.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Had seen some of these like the Bohn's and the protection doesn't come around to the front far enough. Seem like most manufactures put emphasis on the outside of the thigh. I am talking about the front of the thigh where your leg meets the rest of you and down the front of your leg and even slightly towards the inside. That Troy lee one comes close. The Johnson company looks promising but I am not seeing mid to upper thigh armor.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
 
Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
thanks but there is nothing in the way of protection in the area I am looking for.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
I am thinking I will have to go Road Warrior on this one...ideas?
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6916
Location: Los Angeles
 
Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6916
Location: Los Angeles
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Had seen some of these like the Bohn's and the protection doesn't come around to the front far enough. Seem like most manufactures put emphasis on the outside of the thigh. I am talking about the front of the thigh where your leg meets the rest of you and down the front of your leg and even slightly towards the inside. That Troy lee one comes close. The Johnson company looks promising but I am not seeing mid to upper thigh armor.
Curious: Is there a compelling reason for this search? Your joints and the outsides of your extremities are much more vulnerable. Why are you looking to have that area armored rather than the backs of the thighs and calves?

I'm all for more protection but think there may be a reason few products provide top or the thigh coverage.

Personally, I'm considering the Bohn Armor pants.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Had seen some of these like the Bohn's and the protection doesn't come around to the front far enough. Seem like most manufactures put emphasis on the outside of the thigh. I am talking about the front of the thigh where your leg meets the rest of you and down the front of your leg and even slightly towards the inside. That Troy lee one comes close. The Johnson company looks promising but I am not seeing mid to upper thigh armor.
Curious: Is there a compelling reason for this search? Your joints and the outsides of your extremities are much more vulnerable. Why are you looking to have that area armored rather than the backs of the thighs and calves?

I'm all for more protection but think there may be a reason few products provide top or the thigh coverage.

Personally, I'm considering the Bohn Armor pants.
Thanks for asking Eric. Yes there is. A few weeks ago I had a low speed off and it was the upper thigh area on my left leg that took the abuse. Very bad hematoma that eventually required surgery. Since this indecent I have read many stories of similar injuries. Makes sense since that is the area you will make contact with the steering or other parts of your scoot in certain types of crashes.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6916
Location: Los Angeles
 
Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6916
Location: Los Angeles
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
ericalm wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Had seen some of these like the Bohn's and the protection doesn't come around to the front far enough. Seem like most manufactures put emphasis on the outside of the thigh. I am talking about the front of the thigh where your leg meets the rest of you and down the front of your leg and even slightly towards the inside. That Troy lee one comes close. The Johnson company looks promising but I am not seeing mid to upper thigh armor.
Curious: Is there a compelling reason for this search? Your joints and the outsides of your extremities are much more vulnerable. Why are you looking to have that area armored rather than the backs of the thighs and calves?

I'm all for more protection but think there may be a reason few products provide top or the thigh coverage.

Personally, I'm considering the Bohn Armor pants.
Thanks for asking Eric. Yes there is. A few weeks ago I had a low speed off and it was the upper thigh area on my left leg that took the abuse. Very bad hematoma that eventually required surgery. Since this indecent I have read many stories of similar injuries. Makes sense since that is the area you will make contact with the steering or other parts of your scoot in certain types of crashes.
Interesting. I was in a fairly serious (totaled scooter, trip to the ER, no surgery, months to fully recover) crash last year. Funny (now), but I was injured basically where there wasn't armor or leather. Adding pants to my arsenal but I won't wear them all the time and don't think I'll be going to Road Warrior lengths to add coverage.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Yeah I just can't imagine getting hit there again. Leg still not back to normal.
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1843
Location: Floyds Knobs IN
 
Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1843
Location: Floyds Knobs IN
UTC quote
I think the medeval chastity belts covered that area didn't they?

Seriously though, I have the Bohn armor and there is nothing in that area to protect you. I do like it though. Fits nicely under a pair of jeans. Nobody even knows you have it on, unless they touch you in a padded place!

I will do some looking around too and see if I can find anything. I love internet searching!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0234s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0126s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]