UTC

Hooked
MP3 400

Hooked
@su-mac-dude avatar
MP3 400
UTC quote
Hi Folks,

I realized about two months ago that my front tires were wearing unevenly.
Both were wearing faster on the inside with the right (throttle) side tire wearing much faster than the left.

I could feel that something was off in sharp right had turns where there was a pronounced wiggle.
I was also never able to ride the scooter for more than a second or two with my hands off the bars. It would always lurch to the right.
All that is gone now. The scooter tracks in a straight line and no wiggle in a turn.
I can also do slow speed turns much easier too!
So, if you have handling problems - even if if you don't see problem wear patterns - get the scoot's alignment checked.

So here's the problem - two variables have changed - so with that in mind.

Visually:
The new Pilot Power Pure (PPP) is a bit narrower in cross section than the City Grips (CG).

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Old CGs for comparison

New tires after 100 miles.

The test drive:
120 Miles on rural Virginia roads from Winchester to Richmond.
522 South - 211 West - 231 South - 33 East
Then the reverse the next day.
Weather was perfect.
Many turns are marked 35 - 45 mph - but these are very conservative numbers.
I still think I'm a newbie but could ride most of these corners at 20 mph over the suggested.
(Wouldn't do that in West Virginia - they take their yellow turn signs seriously!)

Ride:
The ride of the new tires is better.
It's not an enormous difference - but I would say a bit smoother.
I believe they're smoother than the CGs even when the CGs where new.
Some of this may be to Scoot Richmond doing a better job balancing the PPPs than the shop that mounted the CGs.

Handling:
Turn in is quite different.
The scooter leans quicker - up to a point - then to get it to lean more, I'd have to push on the bar more than with the CGs.
I wouldn't say that it topples over, but it did surprise me and took some time to get use to.
I don't think this is just the wheels being in alignment.
I think that the "pointer" cross section of the PPPs have something to do with it.
On the trip back, I managed to scare myself in one corner and applied the front brakes fairly hard.
The scooter did not push.

Wear?:
I have about 125 miles on the tires now.
A lot of it going around corners as fast I dare.
I still have the mold feathers on the center of the tire.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
easy on the front brakes in a corner. they take away corning ability and traction needed to go thru a corner. if you find yourself a little hot in a corner ease the rear brake on slightly, this should scrubb some of the speed down and you still maintain all the front tires for leaning in and thru the corner.
OP
@su-mac-dude avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400

Hooked
@su-mac-dude avatar
MP3 400
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
easy on the front brakes in a corner. they take away corning ability and traction needed to go thru a corner. if you find yourself a little hot in a corner ease the rear brake on slightly, this should scrubb some of the speed down and you still maintain all the front tires for leaning in and thru the corner.
Yes - I recognize this as a mistake.
So once again - if you have the choice between luck and good...
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
SU-Mac-Dude wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Yes - I recognize this as a mistake.
So once again - if you have the choice between luck and good...
and better tires.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0126s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0025s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]