Ossessionato
GT200L Alabaster 2004 "Lady"
Location: Ishioka, Ibaragi Pref., Japan and Khun Han, Isaan, Thailand

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
There was a strange noise and I could feel strange vibration in the early acceleration timing.
Start-up, idle and initial acceleration is fine as well as the later acceleration and cruising goes.
The noise is like something is loose in the variator area with some vibration felt through the legshield.
I think it might be the belt or the rollers, but am a novice as far as mechanic is concerned. The belt was new at 6.000km (but it is a Pollini one), the rollers were new at 9.000km
She is nearly at 15.000km so due for a service and I just brought her in to her new dealer shop 35km away from my new home in the country.
I have asked them to replace the belt with a Piaggio one, replace the rollers with Malossi ones, change oil and filter and the hub oil. They should also check the spark plug, battery and brake pads.
I also asked them to have a thorough look around and to let me know if it needs anything else done.

On the way back we had a quick lunch of sausages, soup and rice finished with one scoop of ice cream all for the equivalent of 14 US$

Oh and I got a 125cc SYM to replace the Vespa during her stay at the shop
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Nothing like living the good life, Jack. It looks like you have settled into the retired life comfortably. Good for you.

As for the noise, it could be the belt falling apart. My one attempt at using a non Piaggio belt ended with it being replaced right after it began to fall apart. Luckily it held together just long enough to not leave me stranded anywhere. I have had very good results with Piaggio belts. The last one lasted almost 12,000 miles and still looked good when replaced.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Cool. How do you like the new shop you have near you? Ain't retired life great.? 8)
OP
@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
Hi Judy,

Yes retired life is great, still looking like a warehouse with unpacked boxes but it is slowly getting into shape.
Trying to cook for myself is one of my biggest challenges for the moment Crying or Very sad emoticon

As far as the shop is concerned it seems to have known better days but they have the know-how for Vespas and are their nearest dealer (35km away)

Will know more as they come up with the diagnostic and service details

I am off to the pool for my morning swim !

Safe riding
OP
@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
Just spoke the mechano at the shop over the phone and he said the bearings were the cause of the strange noise I was experiencing

I do not have any more info for the moment but am quite worried that there is some damage done although I don't know what or where those bearings are.
It sounded coming from the variator area......

Any guesses at what it might be ?
OP
@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
Here we go the clutch bearings need replacing !

At 15.000km it is a little early I would have thought but I suppose that put them under strain by using the red springs for the Malossi clutch.
Just me thinking aloud .....
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
JackR wrote:
Here we go the clutch bearings need replacing !

At 15.000km it is a little early I would have thought but I suppose that put them under strain by using the red springs for the Malossi clutch.
Just me thinking aloud .....
That is too bad! I have four times your mileage and no real problems ever. My only real issue has been the exhaust gasket that has blown out four times, finally solved with a Leo Vince.

During the last belt change I installed Dr. Pulley Sliders and thoroughly cleaned the clutch bell housing with a Scotch Brite pad. It has been over 3000 miles and I still have no squealing clutch while accelerating from a stop.
OP
@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
Well I went to pick her up yesterday at the new shop.
They had all the parts they changed in a plastic tray to show me

Belt, nuts, clutch bearing, brake pads, etc.

She runs great and feels like new, top speed is increased a bit probably because of the new belt. The old one was fine but used on the sides Good for a Pollini belt, more than 10.000km

The bill came to the equivalent of 500 US$ mostly because of the time it took for the work to be done

Spring here I come ! Ready for the warmer days ahead

Safe riding to all
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]