OP
@zoenzac avatar
UTC

@zoenzac avatar
UTC quote
Appreciate any commentary as to the pros & cons of having a 2005 Vespa PX 150 vs a 2005 Stella 150 ... the scooter is intended for everyday use (city driving in Miami, Miami Beach). Scooters would have no mileage. Reliability, serviceability, parts etc. Thank you
@saint_muc avatar
UTC

Addicted
2012 LX 150ie

Addicted
@saint_muc avatar
2012 LX 150ie
UTC quote
Vespa is likely to have better parts support.....I just don't know.
Having asked my choice I would choose the Vespa PX150. No other reason than Vespa has served me well over the past 5 years. No problems. Just routine service.
I've never heard complaints about Stella though.
It probably is an ego issue purchasing from Italy. Thats where it all started anyway.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
No contest - PX 150. But I am clearly biased by the trouble free service of mine. Perhaps one of the members who have owned both will chime in.

Chad? Desmo?
@saint_muc avatar
UTC

Addicted
2012 LX 150ie

Addicted
@saint_muc avatar
2012 LX 150ie
UTC quote
We had a PX150 and a LX150 at the shop as demo rides. The PX150 was hard to get after 2005 and we sold a lot of LX's in the meantime. When I made my choice it was the LX. Just simple, fast,reliable and comfortable to me. The PX looks great and retro, but the LX has its own history.
@john_tonic avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 Stella, 2005 Vespa PX, 1978 Vespa P200E, 1961 Vespa VNB2, 1980 Vespa Grande, 1977 Vespa Bravo,

Hooked
@john_tonic avatar
2005 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 Stella, 2005 Vespa PX, 1978 Vespa P200E, 1961 Vespa VNB2, 1980 Vespa Grande, 1977 Vespa Bravo,
UTC quote
When I bought my GTS, I was actually in the market for either the PX or Stella. But the GTS was the newest, latest and greatest; so of course I had to have it. Although I sometimes wish I would've gone with the PX since it was the last year Vespa offered the bike. I've since purchased a Stella as well. I really have no complaints with Genuine Scooter. I would however comment on the service. Vespa seems to have a higher standard for dealers, requiring that the shops mechanics be Vespa certified. The Genuine Scooter Company dealers seem to know very little about the product. I'm not saying every Stella dealer; I know there are shops out there with a passionate love for the scooter. But there are dealerships at least in the four corners area that truly don't represent Genuine in a positive light.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Saint Muc wrote:
I've never heard complaints about Stella though.
Wait. Based on prior post here, you will.
@saint_muc avatar
UTC

Addicted
2012 LX 150ie

Addicted
@saint_muc avatar
2012 LX 150ie
UTC quote
Whats wrong with the Stella?
@the_hornets_lisc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Primavera 150 "Redemption"

Hooked
@the_hornets_lisc avatar
Vespa Primavera 150 "Redemption"
UTC quote
Stellas Rule, BTW
I have a 2003 Stella. One of the first. 15,000 trouble free miles with very little maintainence. The quality is top notch and it looks and runs as good as the day I bought it. I ride the hell out of it, no mercy.

Parts are easier to get than a PX. If you are stuck going to a Piaggio Dealer for PX parts you'll pay top dollar and wait, wait, wait for it to come in. The dealers didnt sell many PXs here in the states and from my experience dont stock anything for them.

Any time I went over to the local vespa dealer to get a part, that is the same as the Stella, thinking it would save me time, I would get the rolled eyes and told, "we are going to have to order that" including a tire tube...
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Angelo-

Shifty Vespa PX parts are readily available via mail order at reasonable prices if a dealer doesn't carry them.

Tires and tubes are not Piaggio parts, but generic tires and tubes. You can buy a tube for a Vespa PX at the same supplier as a Stella. If you are having trouble getting tires and tubes that fit a PX, you will have the same trouble for a Stella.
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk

Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
UTC quote
just sit tight there fella....

let Desmo pop in here...he has had both....

to give ya an idea...he sold the stella!

also ya could try a search...I know he posted about it on here
UTC

Enthusiast
82p BV 350

Enthusiast
82p BV 350
UTC quote
I also have an 09 stella. Besides electrical issues( fuel gauge kill switch) its been fine. I have ridden both and the stella seemed to have a bit more power. Personally I would get the px cuz it would most likely have higher resale .
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I am unable to shift the gears on the Stella 150. My left wrist was injured many years ago, also I suffer from PsA and some day's even riding the Vespa hurts.
@desmolicious avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@desmolicious avatar
UTC quote
Brodyfrompa wrote:
just sit tight there fella....

let Desmo pop in here...he has had both....

to give ya an idea...he sold the stella!

also ya could try a search...I know he posted about it on here
I had a 2010 Stella 4T at the same time as I had (and still have) my Vespa PX150.

The Stella 2T is much more similar to the Vespa but there are still enough similarities between the two Stellas to draw a conclusion vis a vis the Vespa..

First off, at about 1000 miles the CDI on my Vespa failed. It started to occasionally buck, die, then run as if nothing had happened. It ended up being an $80 part replacement (for an upgraded Ducati! part), which I replaced in about 15 minutes.
Since then nothing has gone wrong with it, it now has about 3000 miles on it.

Almost everything that could go wrong with my Stella did. Electrical shorts - lights would go out, horn would turn on randomly, oil leaks, paint issues, trim issues. The rubber grips dissolved into a goopy mess w/in 500 miles! The rest of the rubber trim was drying and cracking. Fingerprints on the inside of the instrument glass. Mismatched paint.

This was a shame as I was led to believe that , as all these issues were common place on the Stella 2T, they had been cured thanks to improved quality control. Right..
The Stella 2t (after I think the 2003 model year) also often had the unfortunate habit of eating their crank bearings. I guess LML decided to change bearing suppliers. This doesn't happen to all of them, but enough for it to be more than a passing coincidence...
Such that on sites like stellaspeed they talk about de-Indiafying the 2T Stella and put decent bearings etc in the motor. The way it should have come.

Now, a Stella 2T supposedly is a bit faster than a Vespa PX 150. Removing the restrictive stock exhaust and jetting to match on the PX evens that out, but the reality is that you still have two slow, but fun, scooters. One just being a little slower than the other. Mine cruises fine at 50mph, will touch 60 but in all honesty with those tiny wheels I have no inclination to ride like that. If I want to go faster , I'd take a 250 GTS, or my Guzzi, or my Ducati.

I unloaded my Stella 4T with 1100 miles on it for $3300, which was great seeing you can now get them new for $3000! I guess I got lucky. It's a shame because it was a fun scoot, it just should have been built to a much higher standard given the price it was at.

Now, given the choice between a Stella 2T or a Vespa PX150, both new, I'd say without any hesitation do whatever you can to get the Vespa.
As long as you do not have an 'ace' mechanic try to hot rod it for you, it will last forever. You never hear of a guy on a Vespa wishing he got a Stella. But you do the other way round. There's a reason for that.
OP
@zoenzac avatar
UTC

@zoenzac avatar
UTC quote
2005 vespa PX 150 vs 2005 Stella 150
Thanks for all the commentary ... I think I'll stay with going with a Vespa as vs. a Stella! Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0111s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]