@quadro avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS300 Super

Banned
@quadro avatar
Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
I've just fitted the genuine gts top box and I'm not happy with the fit. I used the 2 piece black clamp bracket but the front screws go into the bracket at an odd angle.

Maybe it's fitted correctly as it's a solid fit but I'm concerned that the screws went through bracket at a seemingly incorrect angle.

Would any of you nice helpfull people please post up some close up pic's of how your top box attaches to the rack?

Thanks.

My bracket fit's at a more acute angle than the angle of the rack.
@will_hesch avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300ie

Hooked
@will_hesch avatar
Vespa GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Oh goody, another Vespa stock parts topic!

How in the hell, can someone make a living shooting those horrible photos?

How in the hell, can someone make a living writing those ludicrous semi-paragraphs that confuse rather than help?

Luckily, the only way the black plastic pieces fit is the correct way, thank God!

I shaved the square thingies that stick down and keep the topcase too far up (space between the black plastic mounting dealy and the bottom of the case). They contact the rack and keep the topcase about 1/4" above the rack unless you do this.

The two rear-most screws seemed perfect (surprisingly!). I popped out the plastic plugs and the holes I had to drill in the case (really?, you can't friggin' drill those out for $400+?!!!) fit the rack/topcase fine.

Once I shaved about an 1/8" off the rear/bottom of the rectalinear bosses that extend below the topcase (they're mad of plastic), the case fit snugly down on the rack.

I threw away the rubber "bumper" that Vespa supplied with the kit as at this point, there was very little (make that-no) clearance between the front of the topcase and the U-shaped rack dealy. I used a piece of electrical tape to cover the hole in the rack.

It's really amazing how funky Vespa's instructions and hardware is. I have invented three products and if I supplied them with such funky instructions, photos and hardware, I'd be out of business right now!

Amazing how the hip vibe of "something made in Italy" transcends practicality!
OP
@quadro avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS300 Super

Banned
@quadro avatar
Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Nice to know that it wasn't just my fitting kit that's shit!

Thanks.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
For the most part, if it's an OEM Vespa accessory, I automatically assume it's going to be hell to install it. Other aftermarket stuff is usually so easy, it doesn't even need instructions.

However, installing the new OEM front rack was surprisingly easy, and actually had color photos with the instructions. I was shocked. I mean, it was a good thing, but totally unexpected.
@will_hesch avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300ie

Hooked
@will_hesch avatar
Vespa GTS 300ie
UTC quote
...color photos?!!

were they as ambiguous as the black and whites?
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Actually no, they were pretty darn decent. They were small, and not as close-up as I personally would have liked, but they were detailed enough. And amazingly, even the hardware bits are photographed and listed with part numbers!

I would hope they're going to start doing this with all the accessories from now on, once old stock has been moved from the warehouses. The instructions were also in several languages, not just Italian and Ital-glish.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
When I installed my Vespa top box on my LX, some of the mounting screws were "toenailed" due to incorrect spacing and poorly tapped holes in the rail. No problems after that.
@will_hesch avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300ie

Hooked
@will_hesch avatar
Vespa GTS 300ie
UTC quote
...Ital-glish ROFL emoticon

I love it, a new language!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0155s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]