@deathbytray avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super (RIP) / Stella 2T

Addicted
@deathbytray avatar
UTC quote
Heard rumors that Piaggio is taking the 350 motor (330cc) from new Beverly and making the biggest GTS super yet. Awesome!

Okay, that's not true... I just made that up. Wishful-thinking. Well, I guess I can start that rumor right now, right here.

Seriously, though... does anyone know if Piaggio engines from a non-Vespa brand has history of eventually ending up in a Vespa? Would it even fit?
@ravenlore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"

Molto Verboso
@ravenlore avatar
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
UTC quote
Among the many reasons I went with a NOS 250 was that I'd have a better chance at having it paid off by the time they manager to shoehorn the 330 into a GTS frame
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Bikes bearing the Piaggio marquee and the Vespa marquee often share the same engines, yes. Sometimes with slight changes such as the length of the swingarm and different gearing, but generally the same in all other respects.

That's not to say that ALL Piaggio engines show up in the Vespa, but I think so far virtually every modern Vespa engine has shown up in a Piaggio bike.
OP
@deathbytray avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@deathbytray avatar
UTC quote
ravenlore wrote:
Among the many reasons I went with a NOS 250 was that I'd have a better chance at having it paid off by the time they manager to shoehorn the 330 into a GTS frame
Yeah, I know what you mean. This is is not gonna stop me from buying a GTS 300 Super as soon as I have the money... but I guess this means that in about 3~4 years, I might be very tempted to upgrade yet again.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
deathbytray wrote:
Would it even fit?
No, the new 350 Piaggio engine/transmission will not fit in the present GTS body (it is too long). A major redesign of the GTS body would be required. Probably changes to the brakes and suspension as well.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
deathbytray wrote:
Would it even fit?
No, the new 350 Piaggio engine/transmission will not fit in the present GTS body (it is too long). A major redesign of the GTS body would be required. Probably changes to the brakes and suspension as well.
But the body is pretty much unchanged since the GT125/200, so it's not out of the question that they might be considering an entirely new model using the larger engine.

We are already expecting a new smaller bodied scooter based on the concept model shown recently, so a new larger bodied one would make sense too.

There are probably quite a lot of people that don't see the point in upgrading just to get a slightly bigger engine, but get a new design as well and I'd be there on day one.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
I have the 2012 gts super, and it's a neck cracker...
Very Fast ..
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
deathbytray wrote:
Would it even fit?
Or just a shorter swingarm. They do this already with the QUASAR engine, which has a long swingarm for the BV/Beverly and a shorter swingarm for the GTS. The 350 engine itself doesn't seem any larger, except for that extended large-wheel swingarm.

Whether it actually makes any sense to put a 33hp engine in a Vespa is a different question.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
deathbytray wrote:
Would it even fit?
Or just a shorter swingarm. They do this already with the QUASAR engine, which has a long swingarm for the BV/Beverly and a shorter swingarm for the GTS. The 350 engine itself doesn't seem any larger, except for that extended large-wheel swingarm.

Whether it actually makes any sense to put a 33hp engine in a Vespa is a different question.
Of course it does

The GTS300 always feels to me like it could cope with more power, though it might benefit from a bit bigger brake disks if it was going to gain another 10mph top speed.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Never mind a bigger engine. I want a bigger fuel tank. So there.
OP
@deathbytray avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@deathbytray avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
deathbytray wrote:
Would it even fit?

I guess only time will tell, but by all account it seems the 330cc engine is a big leap forward in efficiency for Piaggio engines. I guess there could be some benefit to putting a de-tuned 330cc into a GTS chassis, just to benefit from the improvements in efficiency and reliability.

But I'm just going by the pressers, so for all we know, it could suck.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]