@scootermod avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa ET4-125 (Pearl White)

Hooked
@scootermod avatar
2005 Vespa ET4-125 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
Bennetts here in the UK have just cancelled my insurance. I rang them to give my new address and because of high crime rates they have ring fenced my postcode and won't offer insurance here.

Assuming that I can get insurance elsewhere it will be 3rd Part only. If I were to have an accident or have it stolen, the excess on a 3rd Party, Fire & Theft policy would be £250 minimum. For a motorcycle worth £1000 they would likely value it at half that so for a write off I would be lucky to get £250 at most.

So 3rd party it is then. Why pay extra out for them just to wangle out of paying what I would be entitled to? Add to that, any further insurance premiums would be at least double for the next five years.

It's legalised robbery. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
I have Progessive, $96 for my 05 Typhoon, and $169 for my 09 Aprilia Scarabeo 200, full coverage, but have to pay $145 for MCCA, which pays for a medical insurance pool for long term care....But, the thing is...motorcyclist/scooterist are not included, It burns me to have to pay for something I cannot use!
Talk about a rip-off!
I have Hagerty Insurance for my 63 Vespa 150GL, for $129, with a guaranteed $3500 replacement .....They specialize with classic and antique vehicles...
@scootmom avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'09 BV250, '02 ET2 '07 LX150

Molto Verboso
@scootmom avatar
'09 BV250, '02 ET2 '07 LX150
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
insurance coverage is your choice.

if you want to save money go with LI only. you know the risks if your at fault they won't cover damage to your scoot. That will be totally on you for costs.

Full coverage on the other hand if your at fault will cover (less your deductible of course) your scoot and in some cases replacement gear and accessories. That really depends on the company you chose to go with.
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Liabil only... for multiple reasons:
1. i bought a used scooter, and the asset value is low, so the full-boat insurance cost w/b inappropriately high.
2. making insurance claims can be an unpleasant situation, and it is avoidable by not having bought the insurance.
3. i try/hope to be an above average safety risk, such that i am on the right side of the odds to make money by saving money (cross fingers)
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
I pay $189/yr with Progressive. No comp, no medical. Florida is a no-fault state so that means something. I don't understand all that stuff.
@camper avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx150

Molto Verboso
@camper avatar
lx150
UTC quote
For those of us who live in Michigan we have unlimited medical required with our auto insurance. When the motorcycle has a collision and makes contact with a vehicle; the other parties insurance pays regardless of fault! Remember when in Michigan never crash by your self always drag your self over the nearest vehicle and tag it. I'm paying about $230/yr for this with a $100 ded on comp and a $500 ded on collision, towing and good limits on liability. I also have $5000 on medical if I crash by myself, figured this would kick in to take up my deductible on my health ins.

Michigan has great insurance requirements....I just don't want to test it.
It really doesn't matter what it costs as long as it pays when it is suppose to.
@leaking_lewis avatar
UTC

Hooked
'19 BMW C400X; '07 Vespa 250 IE;'13 BMW F700GS; 87 Elite 80

Hooked
@leaking_lewis avatar
'19 BMW C400X; '07 Vespa 250 IE;'13 BMW F700GS; 87 Elite 80
UTC quote
state Farm
I have State Farm. Found it to be reasonable. I went for max coverage because I was worried about parking in a suburban office park lot each day. Lots of drivers not paying attention and had no experience with the probability of theft. So far, no problems. Cost me 30 a month.
OP
UTC

2006 GT200L

2006 GT200L
UTC quote
Thanks for all the input!

I'm just trying to do the comparison with how much rates are.

Mind you, I have a 13 year clean driving record, with 3 yrs experience with an M1

This is Progressive rates in SF:
The price breakdown is underlined. You'll see that I have LI and Uninsured Motorist, but not Collision Insurance. If I did, price would jump $130.

2006 Vespa
BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $106.00
BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST $114.00
$100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UM PROPERTY DAMAGE $3,500 $3.00
MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON $68.00
COMPREHENSIVE $100 DEDUCTIBLE $65.00
ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL
Premium by Vehicle $356.00
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
Re: Bare Minimum & loving it...
The Hornets LISC wrote:
Minimum Liability. Thats it on any bike or car I have ever owned. Geico, less than $100 a year. Any incident requiring more insurance will probably kill me anyways. My bikes are not new and I own them. I do most of the service/repairs myself when I can.
So you will feel just fine about yourself when you -- in a moment of inattention or distraction we all have from time to time whether we admit it or not -- pull out in front of a minivan driven by a soccer mom and full of kids? Said mom swerves into the other lane to avoid creaming you, and gets hit head on. Mom dies, and the kids all wind up with grievous injuries -- requiring hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of dollars of medical care over many years. You caused the accident, but because you carry only the legally required minimum liability, the folks whose injuries YOU caused are screwed.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but -- given that higher liability limits are relatively inexpensive -- I personally feel that folks who carry only the legal minimum are thinking only of themselves. Carry as much liability insurance as you can afford. If you can't afford more than the legal minimum, you probably shouldn't be out there putting other folks at risk without the wherewithal to make things right if you screw up.
@markysparx avatar
UTC

Turnkey 79
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!

Turnkey 79
@markysparx avatar
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!
UTC quote
Swintons TPF&T £58.00 cheaper than third party and fully comp!
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
State Farm Mutual-

Same policy as I have on our autos. High limits and and umbrella.
UTC

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 170i

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 170i
UTC quote
I don't know ....
I just called my insurance guy. Told him I bought a scooter and he said $20 a month. That is American Family. Having read this thread I think I better check a little closer.
@questa_macchina avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GVT 300

Enthusiast
@questa_macchina avatar
2012 GVT 300
UTC quote
this thread just in time. Thanks
Just started shopping and what a difference Progressive quoted $539 and Geico $283 for the same coverage... pretty soon that adds up to real money
OP
UTC

2006 GT200L

2006 GT200L
UTC quote
questa macchina wrote:
this thread just in time. Thanks
Just started shopping and what a difference Progressive quoted $539 and Geico $283 for the same coverage... pretty soon that adds up to real money
Yeah, I noticed the exact same thing here in CA. What really lowered my premiums with Progressive was the 'miles driven' part. There was a 25% increase between 2000 miles annually and 2001 miles, so if you are a casual rider like me, you might want to stay at 2000 miles and see what they quote you!
@p4ttythep3rf3ct avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio BV300

Enthusiast
@p4ttythep3rf3ct avatar
Piaggio BV300
UTC quote
Im with Progressive, ready for a total loss replacement as it's a brand new scooter.

(EDIT: This is for TX Coverage)

Coverage & Premium Information
2012 Piagg Bv300
BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $39.00
BI $30,000 EACH PERSON - $60,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

COMP $250 DED TOTAL LOSS $79.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE

COLL $500 DED TOTAL LOSS $343.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE

ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $10.00

UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST - REJECTED
UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle $471.00

Automobile Burglary/Theft Prevention Fee $1.00
Total Policy Premium $472.00
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0247s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0146s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]