OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I love baseball games.

Last week I traveled down to Viera, Fl. to see a spring training game between the New York Yankees and the Washington Nationals.

To get there, I rode my GT down I-95 to Palm Coast (60 miles) to meet a friend who drove the remaining 100 miles to Viera.

The return trip was the opposite, but I rode up US-1 through St. Augustine back home.

The game was fine but far more fun was the scooter ride.

I averaged 73mph (gps) on I-95 and was able to hold my own riding with the cars and trucks

The return on US-1 was nice and easy but equally enjoyable.

Anyone else find the ride to be the most fun part of most trips?
@sartis avatar
UTC

'15 GTS Super, '06 GT200 (sold)

@sartis avatar
'15 GTS Super, '06 GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
I used to live in Viera (off Wickham) and it's a pretty cool place. When I had my BMW F650GS, I used to drive up and down A1A on weekend mornings. Gorgeous riding!
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
It is like the difference between sailors and power boaters - for rag baggers it is the journey; for the stink potters, it's the arrival.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
On my first 150 mile ride, we found ourselves riding at dusk during a rain storm down twisting, unlit country roads. Quite scary if you think about it.

Once we reached the destination. I was so happy that I had actually ridden in the dark and the rain. Freezing & wet, but very happy.

My BF hated it and constantly remarks about how terrible it was. Me, I was like, YEAH! this is a CHALLANGE I can deal with!

I am one of those, relentless, "let's-power-through-this", type of person. So that challenge meant alot to me. So while my BF has TERRIBLE memories of the ride, I really cherished it.

I am goofy that way. Razz emoticon
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
Agree, Bel, nothing like pushing the envelope.

As a sailor chappie once said to me, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

Mind you, after four and one half days of near perfect sailing weather, Bermuda sure was a welcome sight.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
Agree, Bel, nothing like pushing the envelope.

As a sailor chappie once said to me, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

Mind you, after four and one half days of near perfect sailing weather, Bermuda sure was a welcome sight.
+1

Once we saw the lights of the B & B I was so relieved.

But after we stopped and I got off the scooter, I was like "YEAH!" High five meh!
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Belkwinith wrote:
On my first 150 mile ride, we found ourselves riding at dusk during a rain storm down twisting, unlit country roads. Quite scary if you think about it.

Once we reached the destination. I was so happy that I had actually ridden in the dark and the rain. Freezing & wet, but very happy.

My BF hated it and constantly remarks about how terrible it was. Me, I was like, YEAH! this is a CHALLANGE I can deal with!

I am one of those, relentless, "let's-power-through-this", type of person. So that challenge meant alot to me. So while my BF has TERRIBLE memories of the ride, I really cherished it.

Belk...you are a girl after my own heart! Great story!

And for Rap...Bermuda is a a welcome site for me in any condition. What a beautiful place.

If you came in through St. George, you saw the cruise ship terminal that I designed with the Works and Engineering team in 1993.
@jim_halligan avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT 200

Hooked
@jim_halligan avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
for me it's always been the journey, not that the destination didn't have its own value.
I guess I've always been wanderlust, starting at the age of 11 walking 10 miles to my classmates house to see him. Or bicycling halfway across United States as a junior in high school; or sailing my 23 foot Irwin sailboat from the apostle Islands on Lake superior to Isle Royale across the lake alone at night. My memories of these are about the journey. Perhaps that is why I like my Vespa, its journeys on the back roads that I really enjoy.

There is another old sailors adage that I always refer to, "you only get to pick the weather at the start of your journey". there have been many times I started started out with Sunny days and blue skies to arrive soaking wet and cold.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
Jim Halligan wrote:
There is another old sailors adage that I always refer to, "you only get to pick the weather at the start of your journey". there have been many times I started started out with Sunny days and blue skies to arrive soaking wet and cold.
+1

Once went from Cape Fear River to Charleston, SC on our Bob Perry designed Tashiba 36, "China Doll". A nice 24 hour outside run. The Noah [sic] Weather people said 15 knots from the West all day and night. Wrong. The wind quickly shifted to the North and blew on our stern for ever. We were doing 7 knots under bare poles. We reached Charleston way before dawn as we had made such 'good' time and chose to wait rather than try to negotiated the tricky harbour entrance in the dark. Once we turned we realised that the wind had piped up to 35 knots and the seas had built to, (insert old sailor's hyperbole here). Let me just say that the waves were breaking higher than our boom. Barf-ville all around.

All this probably means thing to all you non-sailing Vespa-riding folks.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Totally agree. I had to hang out under someone's carport years ago because it was raining so bad. Sun was out at my place. Even tho were limited as to where we can ride here it's always a new ride, even if we've done the trip 100 times. Got got out in a storm on the Chesapeake in a 26 ft sailboat once and that wasn't on my top ten list. W you designed that? Cool.
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
I have to back off my original position now.

My mom called this morning to see if I could come over to have lunch with her and my dad. They are 85 and 87 respectively and two of the coolest people I know. Nice lunch of Shrimp Casserole, Corned Beef and Carrot Souffle. But the company was even better.

Today, the destination was much better than the ride.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Belkwinith wrote:

+1

My commute is like that in the winter - and I still enjoy and look forward to riding despite the rain, wind, etc. I do get positively euphoric when the pavement is occasionally dry in the spring and summer Razz emoticon
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
W you designed that? Cool.
Thanks judy. The design won first prize in the annual Bermuda Design Awards that year. It is a small building for a cruise ship terminal but has served the area well for almost 20 years now.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0194s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0074s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]