@pitt avatar
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Mp3 400ie

Lurker
@pitt avatar
Piaggio Mp3 400ie
UTC quote
First off, great site. I purchased a new 400 a week ago and so far so good. Have read many threads on aftermarket exhaust and have found them helpful. I need it louder to feel safer.

Some of the brands are expensive and I'm more likely to custom fit an exhaust like some have done.

My question is what size is the header pipe so I can correctly fit it to a new can and make a custom mount for it. As I see with a slip on exhaust there should be many options.

Would I need a 1.75 or 2 inch can?

I will be providing pictures of what I come up with when finished.

Thank you kindly for any information you can provide.

PITT
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Mp3 400ie exhaust
PITT wrote:
First off, great site. I purchased a new 400 a week ago and so far so good. Have read many threads on aftermarket exhaust and have found them helpful. I need it louder to feel safer.

Some of the brands are expensive and I'm more likely to custom fit an exhaust like some have done.

My question is what size is the header pipe so I can correctly fit it to a new can and make a custom mount for it. As I see with a slip on exhaust there should be many options.

PITT
Louder is not safer, they don't hear you till you're past them
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
PITT wrote:

PITT
Not sure of the size, but it's metric, not SEA. So it's not 1.5" or 2"
OP
@pitt avatar
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Mp3 400ie

Lurker
@pitt avatar
Piaggio Mp3 400ie
UTC quote
Good points StooterBoy. I'm itching to find out what size can I need to get so I can get started. I don't want to tear off the stock one until I know so I can still ride
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
PITT wrote:
Good points StooterBoy. I'm itching to find out what size can I need to get so I can get started. I don't want to tear off the stock one until I know so I can still ride
Pitt first welcome to the MV forum.

next for your peace of mind use a set of calipers and just measure the header just before the exhaust can. you should come up with 1.45 inches or 37mm od.

The mount is a real PITA to come up with a good design for a solid mount. There has been a few who have done stuff here, just need to do a search.

Lastly please put you location in your profile so we can know where your at. This helps for telling you about local shops as well as maybe some folks will meet up with you for rides or other stuff as well.

Oh I really like the Akrapovic aftermarket slip-on if you ever decide to go that way. very easy to install and remove for when you need to do a tire change or other servicing.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
StooterBoy wrote:
PITT wrote:

PITT
You mean SAE?

Thats going the way of the 8-track anyway. Even many American vehicles are using metric fasteners.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
PITT wrote:

PITT
You mean SAE?

Thats going the way of the 8-track anyway. Even many American vehicles are using metric fasteners.
Hey, I used the right letters, damn fingers just put them in the wrong order while typing.

And yes, all the fasteners on GMs and Fords are metric now.
@maynard_schweigert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@maynard_schweigert avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
StooterBoy wrote:
Hey, I used the right letters, damn fingers just put them in the wrong order while typing.
Are you sure you don't mean dyslexia.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0150s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]