@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck
1967 Sears 125.....Primavera

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Has this ever happened to you? You are at an intersection and you see someone across the road on a scooter, you go to all the trouble of pulling a u-turn, chase em down, thinking you are going to meet a new like minded scooter buddy, and......... It turns out the person is a right d**k!
Today I pulled a U-turn after seeing someone on a 1980s Honda Helix(a ride I have always lusted after), caught up to him as he pulled into a barber shop parking lot. I was surprised at this 'cos I actually thought the rider was a very butch, older lesbian. Not that I care who I go on rides with, we scooter riders are very inclusive, after all most of us are at least a little bit different if not outright crazy. Laughing emoticon
Anyway I said hello and went into the whole" oh you ride a scooter, would you like to join up with a group of us and ride once in a while" spiel, and he gave me a bunch of grumpy malarky about not riding with anyone because nobody likes American Indians .
Now this guy was as white as me and I am from a land where we are really quite pale.
He started droning on about politics and America being stolen from him and even about UFOs. I thought I had got myself cornered again by another mild loony and was going to have listen to him for hours, when the barber popped his head out the door and said
"Come on Charles, your turn".
As Charles went inside the barber gave me a look that said " you owe me one".
I really do. Next time my sparse hair needs a trim I'll go there. Easiest 8 dollars he'll ever make .
Who knew, an Indian called Charles on a Helix.

All the best.
Sir Paul.
⚠️ Last edited by Sir Paul on UTC; edited 1 time
@draakan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'10 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@draakan avatar
'10 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I am as friendly as the next guy, but if someone were chase me down to chat... Yeah I might be hesitant to talk to them.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Sir Paul that guy had issues with himself.
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Hi Draakan
So if I was the next guy......maybe you are not as friendly as you think. Razz emoticon
Seriously though, there are so few scooter riders around here that I do approach people when I normally would not, if I lived in a heavily populated(scooterwise) area.
Mostly I am trying to get a few people interested in a little club or a ride-out once in a while. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the people on scooters in this part of Tenn/N.C. are riding scooters cos their drinking habits have put the mockers on them being allowed to drive a 4 wheeled motor vehicle.
Also this guy was riding a 1986 Helix so I figured he might be an enthusiast.

Sir Paul
⚠️ Last edited by Sir Paul on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Old As Dirt
I keep thinking I am gonna run into you one day in Johnson City or Elizabethton, but I just realised the other day, you are in Kingston not Kingsport.
It was just 2 days ago I finally decided to stop looking for you.

Sir Paul.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
"...life's like a box of chocolates..."
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
No park bench!
He was a Charles not a Forrest.
Life goes on.

Sir Paul
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: Old As Dirt
Sir Paul wrote:
I keep thinking I am gonna run into you one day in Johnson City or Elizabethton, but I just realised the other day, you are in Kingston not Kingsport.
It was just 2 days ago I finally decided to stop looking for you.

Sir Paul.
Well I will be somewhat close next month. Fuzzy and I are planning a pre ride up and thru the snake. I do ride the smokies alot towards Tellico Plains and the Dragon.
@draakan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'10 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@draakan avatar
'10 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Re: Hi Draakan
Sir Paul wrote:
So if I was the next guy......maybe you are not as friendly as you think. Razz emoticon
Seriously though, there are so few scooter riders around here that I do approach people when I normally would not, if I lived in a heavily populated(scooterwise) area.
Mostly I am trying to get a few people interested in a little club or a ride-out once in a while. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the people on scooters in this part of Tenn/N.C. are riding scooters cos their drinking habits have put the mockers on them being allowed to drive a 4 wheeled motor vehicle.
Also this guy was riding a 1986 Helix so I figured he might be an enthusiast.

Sir Paul
Haha yeah sorry. I am just a little wierded out from my first experience of being chased down about my scooter. Some lady at walmart decided to try and run up to me to ask me a question, and she was less then what I would call in running shape. Thought she was going to die on me.
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Brilliant Draakan
I am sitting here giggling whilst imagining you giving mouth to mouth to a complete stranger in a Walmart parking lot. Laughing emoticon
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, based on some previous threads on this forum, I'd say that posts beginning with "I chased down another scooter rider so I could chat with him" usually don't end well.

Brendan
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
OK Chased down might be......
... a bit strong.
I followed him, he didn't know I was following him.
I casually walked up to him and said " Nice scoot mate, got any naked pictures of your wife? Want to buy some?"
To which he replied" Nudge nudge wink wink, say no more mate, say no more"

Of course I didn't CHASE him. Thats a turn of phrase.
I approached him in a friendly open manner and was given a madmans diaTRIBE about American Indian history.

I usually have great success talking to Americans from all walks of life. This one was just walking to the beat of a drum only he could hear.

Sir Paul
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, there was one a while back that actually turned into a full pursuit after one of riders obviously didn't want to chat and was trying to get away.

I'm lucky, I see plenty of scooters every day, so there isn't much novelty. If there weren't a lot of scooters in my neighborhood, I'd probably want to talk to any rider I saw.

Brendan
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Try meetup.com it may be a bit more safe and you may have better luck meeting like minded people.
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Hi 175
Thanks for the info 175.
Sir Paul

Edit....just tried it and the nearest one(only one within 100 miles) was in Greenville S.C.
I think I will have to keep taking the risk of meeting people face to face.

sir Paul.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Re: Hi 175
Sir Paul wrote:
Thanks for the info 175.
Sir Paul
Anytime Sir,

I post rides here from time to time and have meet very nice people. funny thing tho they all have Vespa/Piaggio scooter
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Sir Paul it really looks like you ran across Cruella DeVille less nice brother. Last night I was riding around the parking lot at a bar to find the perfect spot. I circled around quite a few times before this lady rolled down the window and started asking me if I was lost. I said I was just looking for a parking spot. She parked, we both started to chat, she bought me a drink and then try to convince me to get rid of my scooter because she had heard on the news that nowadays they are considered terrorist weapons and all this crazy talk. I never drank a bottle of beer so fast in my life.
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC quote
Those Helixs always attracted the wrong crowd.
@danners avatar
UTC

Hooked
White Squall - 2009 GTS 250 Super

Hooked
@danners avatar
White Squall - 2009 GTS 250 Super
UTC quote
I thought you were talking about me.

On Tuesday my Vespa riding neighbor came down the street after me while I was parking. He passed and parked down the block (within yelling distance but I'm not much of a yeller). Being late for my night gig (I teach painting), I jumped off the scoot ran into to the house to get my stuff for class.

I've felt terrible that I didn't make an effort to walk the half block and greet my neighbor... what an @$$.

You can be sure I'll speak to my neighbor the next time I see him.
@waspandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super i.e.

Hooked
@waspandy avatar
GTS 300 Super i.e.
UTC quote
Re: I Met A Horrible Person on a Scooter
Sir Paul wrote:
He started droning on about politics and America being stolen from him and even about UFOs. I thought I had got myself cornered again by another mild loony...
This is close to what I do when some stranger insists on talking Vespa with me, or invite me to club rides, or follows me for too long when riding. After one incident they usually stay clear.

If I really want to talk to another scooter rider, I signal him to pull over, and if he ignores it, I just continue and forget about it.

/Andy
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
Sir Paul wrote:
I Met A Horrible Person on a Scooter
but wouldn't it be boring if all people were the same and, after all, it was you that wanted to talk to him
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
I have a boat load of friends back in the US who state that they find telemarketers and telephone political solicitations totally intrusive and an "invasion of their privacy". Many brag about how they have developed annoying responses to be ready to "fix those who invade their privacy".

Perhaps there's a parallel here?
@terryvanman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300

Molto Verboso
@terryvanman avatar
Honda SH 300
UTC quote
I chased a guy on a scooter once, when we stopped we talked for an hour or so,,,,as the conversation continued I thought he was thinking I was a complete nutter,,so he said he would like to meet me some time for a ride out in a week or so,,,,,as we parted and he headed off on his scooter I chucked a half brick that hit him on the back of his helmet. After he got up from the carnage of his now wrecked scooter he said What the fuck was that for?????????I just said it was to remind him not to forget about the meeting.....and there me thinking he thought I was a nutter
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Very mixed bag in the UK - some riders of any bike will talk to anyone, but even in the scootering fraternity there are all sorts of factions, history, dress 'codes' and stuff going on here. Attitudes to non Vespas and Lambrettas, and to Vespa autos are also very varied. I choose my moments to start up a chat and its a 'some you win, some you lose' experience for me
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Sir Paul it really looks like you ran across Cruella DeVille less nice brother. Last night I was riding around the parking lot at a bar to find the perfect spot. I circled around quite a few times before this lady rolled down the window and started asking me if I was lost. I said I was just looking for a parking spot. She parked, we both started to chat, she bought me a drink and then try to convince me to get rid of my scooter because she had heard on the news that nowadays they are considered terrorist weapons and all this crazy talk. I never drank a bottle of beer so fast in my life.
Laughing emoticon
dude! you live in Kansas!
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Quote: It turns out the person is a right d**k!

I think you got it the first time.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
As I have what appears to be the only Vespa within a fifty mile radius it is rare that I see another. I do see a lot of those 5cc moped thingies, that putter in the gutter and use their lane change signal to pass a storm drain. I tried talking to some of the riders, but gave up. Instead I boldly go where no mod has gone before and talk to motorcycle riders in supermarket parking lots. They almost always turn out to be friendly, chatty sorts, often close to my ripe old age. We have a jolly conversation and part with a promise give the 'low wave'.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Not quite the same but similar. This morning I pulled up next to a guy on an old Honda 550 at a traffic light. Wasn't expecting a long conversation or anything but usually in these situations a nod and a ride check happens. This guy didn't even look at me and rolled forward a bit like he thought I was trying to go ahead of him. The proceeded to ride 5 mph under the limit. I blew by him in the next open passing area.
OP
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Hi Rap, Aviator et al.
I almost always get a wave from the riders of "proper motorbikes" round here. Probably cos they have seen me riding all through the winter and we have suffered together. As the good weather comes around and the fairweather bikers follow it, I expect less waves from our 2-wheeled cousins.
Aviator....I don't think this guys behaviour/response was a ploy. Based on the barber's action and all. I think the fellow was just a few pepperonis short of a pizza.

Mike Bike Kite...yes, I did stop to talk to him, and I know going in that I could get an ear bending by a loony. But, you know, almost everyone has something to tell/teach you, and everyone enjoys the opportunity to spout their wisdom to a new audience.(one of the reasons forums are so popular ).

Hi Max. Allegedly a scooter was the escape vehicle of choice for the killer of soldiers and children in France this last couple of weeks. So your "crazy lady" may have been referring to those incidents.(I read on a european newspaper blog that it was a "powerful BMW".

I for one am not going to give up on face to face chit chats with my fellow man. I do not care if people are rude, crazy, or too busy, the benefits of running into truly nice folk far outweigh the disappointment of running into the very small percentage of "too strange for me" folk I have met out there.

All the best to all y'all.

Sir Paul
@oldscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS Super Sport SE (wrecked); 2015 Genuine Hooligan 170i (sold)

Addicted
@oldscoot avatar
2014 GTS Super Sport SE (wrecked); 2015 Genuine Hooligan 170i (sold)
UTC quote
That's odd - I don't recall being in Elk Park recently. Laughing emoticon
@still_shifting avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Chetak

Ossessionato
@still_shifting avatar
Chetak
UTC quote
scootermarc69 wrote:
Those Helixs always attracted the wrong crowd.
TOO Funny R
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
richardsan wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Laughing emoticon
dude! you live in Kansas!
No,no,no! This happened in Emerald City.
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
terryvanman wrote:
I chased a guy on a scooter once ... we talked for an hour ... I chucked a half brick that hit him on the back of his helmet ... he thought I was a nutter
I'm not a psychiatrist but I'd say you are a nutter Terry
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
The scooter "people" here aren't that cool. MC peeps are much better. Most people who ride are kids and those that have to but we o have a good group of Vespa owners. 8) Thanks for the laugh SIR i sat here and envisioned it and had a good one. Laughing emoticon The only person i've ever chased was an idiot who tried to kill me and she wasn't to happy about the earful i gave her but such is life.
⚠️ Last edited by judy on UTC; edited 1 time
@still_shifting avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Chetak

Ossessionato
@still_shifting avatar
Chetak
UTC quote
judy wrote:
The only person i've ever chased was an idiot who tried to kill me and she wasn't to happy about the earful i gave her but such s life.
Judy you are a constant source of amusement. I am remembering a couple of incidents wher in I Wanted to chase them down and give them a good talking to about why they choose to attempt to flatten me like a toad, and how that makes me feel. Still as I am a large and I guess comman not to say coarse looking man, I must refrain from expressing my frustration to those all too comman innatentive drivers. Cheers R
@buglake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2x '06 GT200 ~ '78 P200 ~ '73 Vespa 90

Ossessionato
@buglake avatar
2x '06 GT200 ~ '78 P200 ~ '73 Vespa 90
UTC quote
Yep. Although you think your conversation was a one-person experience, remember that he had a point of view on that conversation, too.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@bleubelle avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "Silvar""

Ossessionato
@bleubelle avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "Silvar""
UTC quote
buglake wrote:
Yep. Although you think your conversation was a one-person experience, remember that he had a point of view on that conversation, too.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Someone really needs that mole looked at. Kind of resembles basal cell carcinoma. Nerd emoticon

Oh, the shirt? Yeah, I agree. If you're friendly and courteous that's one thing. If you blow by me at 90 mph or have pipes loud enough to qualify for OSHA regs, then that's another.
@iovisiuppiter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 Vespa LX50, 1966 Vespa 150 Super

Hooked
@iovisiuppiter avatar
2011 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 Vespa LX50, 1966 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
I gave chase once, a guy on a red GTS250 just like me, he even had the same helmet on, a Nolan N20 35th Anniversary edition.

We could've been twins.

When I caught up, he wasn't a dick but just didn't much want to talk. I guess he had an elsewhere to be. But that was cool, I was left with the realisation that while we could've been twins, I was the better looking, more friendly and cooler one. I just said "fairly well, good to meet you" then went on my merry way.

I figure it goes with the territory of riding a Vespa, people always want to talk about it with you. What a great way to make new friends 8)
@fatmanscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
Il Porco (GTS125ie)

Addicted
@fatmanscoot avatar
Il Porco (GTS125ie)
UTC quote
I think scooters must attract a different kind of crowd stateside.

Over here the scooter is the chosen mount of lots of different groups, and among them, several of what I would describe as the stabby element in society.

Going chasing after scooters is definitely not something you want to do over here.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
fatmanscoot wrote:
Over here the scooter is the chosen mount of lots of different groups, and among them, several of what I would describe as the stabby element in society.
ROFL emoticon fortunately they identify themselves by their roof boxer helmets with the chinbar pushed back to make little devil horns.

i had one try to take the keys out of my ignition whilst stopped at a traffic light last year. this was on a busy road, at about 4 in the afternoon. he pulled alongside, put his scooter on the sidestand, and reached over me, casual as you please. luckily instinct took over and i elbowed him in the belly and took off
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0265s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0089s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]