OP
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
 
Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
UTC quote
I've taken off the exhaust. Sanded it all down. Filled a bunch of holes. Painted it with BBQ paint. Feeling quite pleased with myself until I tried putting it back on. Bugger!

Is there some clever order to do things so that all the bolts fixing the exhaust to the bracket line up? I can get the one bolt lined up and I can attach the pipe to the engine fine but all the other 2 bolts are just not lining up even though they're only out by a couple of mm.

Mike
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
I had the same problem last week after the exhaust facelift. Are you talking about the OEM muffler? This is the order which I followed:

I loosened up the two nuts that hold the manifold to the engine just enough to reassure me that they were not seized or frozen and to give me some play room. Then the first bolt in (loosely) was the top left on the muffler. I lined up the pipe to the manifold to the best of my ability. I did not get to be completely flush with the head pipe but adequate enough to get a good searl on the bushing. When the other two holes on the muffler were visible I screwed the bolts just so the muffler would stay on and attempted another "shove" of the pipe onto the manifold. From there I proceeded to tighten everything: two nuts, clamp, and then the three bolts. I did not use a torque wrench for the clamp or nuts. I torqued the muffler bolts last.
OP
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
 
Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
UTC quote
That seemed to work. Would you know what the torque settings should be?

I saw in another thread someone mentioned a gasket but mine seems to bolt directly onto the engine. Odd that there are sliding holes for the bolts to go into but the bolts seem to want to start about 1mm before the elongated holes start. I have the OEM one piece exhaust it has an oval shaped piece of metal that the bolts from the engine go through and then I just tighten the nuts to clamp it in place - am I missing anything?

Do you think there's a special reason that they don't build the mufflers out of stainless steel?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43686
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43686
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
Yours is one of the early ones like mine - no exhaust gasket. And yes it's a bugger getting it back on.
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2162
Location: Palo Alto, CA
 
Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2162
Location: Palo Alto, CA
UTC quote
mike_bike_kite wrote:
...

Do you think there's a special reason that they don't build the mufflers out of stainless steel?
Probably for cost reasons. Stainless steel would be quite a bit more expensive... Plus it would last longer and you wouldn't need to buy a replacement as soon!

-Dan
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
 
Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Yours is one of the early ones like mine - no exhaust gasket. And yes it's a bugger getting it back on.
thats what I have as well....was wondering about that gasket everyone was talking about......

I see today I have busted another exhaust stud, so I'll be taking mine off again real soon......damn things were only hand tight and I have a stud left from the last time, but my luck...no nuts
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22470
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22470
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
Brodyfrompa wrote:
jimc wrote:
Yours is one of the early ones like mine - no exhaust gasket. And yes it's a bugger getting it back on.
thats what I have as well....was wondering about that gasket everyone was talking about......

I see today I have busted another exhaust stud, so I'll be taking mine off again real soon......damn things were only hand tight and I have a stud left from the last time, but my luck...no nuts
just curious on the early ones that don't have a gasket. Could you install a gasket like the later ones have, and maybe have less issues?
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
mike_bike_kite wrote:
Would you know what the torque settings should be?
Exhaust header pipe nuts 16 to 18 Nm
Silencer bolts 20 to 25 Nm
Rear shcok absorber lower mounting nut 33 to 41 Nm
Rear axle nut 104 to 125 Nm
Rear wheel bolts20 to 25 Nm
Exhaust bracket bolts 20 to 25 Nm

Did I miss anything? ***closes the Hayes manual and walks away beaming with pride***
OP
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
 
Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
... and walks away beaming with pride
and quite rightly so (I couldn't find the numbers anywhere) - thanks.
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
 
Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Brodyfrompa wrote:
jimc wrote:
Yours is one of the early ones like mine - no exhaust gasket. And yes it's a bugger getting it back on.
thats what I have as well....was wondering about that gasket everyone was talking about......

I see today I have busted another exhaust stud, so I'll be taking mine off again real soon......damn things were only hand tight and I have a stud left from the last time, but my luck...no nuts
just curious on the early ones that don't have a gasket. Could you install a gasket like the later ones have, and maybe have less issues?
dont think so......was gonna noodle around in my area later and pull the exhaust and maybe repaint........also maybe try and get a vice on the stud....seeing how it snapped higher up this time and left stud exposed.....

BUT i'll snap ya a couple pics to show ya.....the tolerances are pretty close that I don't think your gonna add anything into it... I think starr said about making them hand tight......I even used a handle-less wrench
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22470
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22470
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
Brodyfrompa wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Brodyfrompa wrote:
jimc wrote:
Yours is one of the early ones like mine - no exhaust gasket. And yes it's a bugger getting it back on.
thats what I have as well....was wondering about that gasket everyone was talking about......

I see today I have busted another exhaust stud, so I'll be taking mine off again real soon......damn things were only hand tight and I have a stud left from the last time, but my luck...no nuts
just curious on the early ones that don't have a gasket. Could you install a gasket like the later ones have, and maybe have less issues?
dont think so......was gonna noodle around in my area later and pull the exhaust and maybe repaint........also maybe try and get a vice on the stud....seeing how it snapped higher up this time and left stud exposed.....

BUT i'll snap ya a couple pics to show ya.....the tolerances are pretty close that I don't think your gonna add anything into it... I think starr said about making them hand tight......I even used a handle-less wrench
if there is not enough room then there was a design change on something, Cyl, exhaust header. So that would mean there are 2 different cyl or exhausts and folks could not use the same aftermarket pipes on the earlier version or the later version.

Definitely look at the differences. between the 2 versions. might just need the later version studs that are probably a tad longer so a gasket could be used. the gasket was added for a reason on the later models.
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
 
Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
UTC quote
here are the diagrams



I also got some pics, gimme a miinute
GT earlier  ~one Piece~
GT earlier ~one Piece~
GTS   ~note Bushing #6~
GTS ~note Bushing #6~
OP
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
 
Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1424
Location: SW London, UK
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
just curious on the early ones that don't have a gasket. Could you install a gasket like the later ones have, and maybe have less issues?
I don't really have any issue other than the exhaust corroding and I think that's common to all Vespa OEM exhausts. Mine was originally built from what appeared to be cast iron but this has slowly been replaced by exhaust putty and BBQ paint - it still seems to work quite well though. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much as it's lasted nearly 10 years now.

EDIT : I have the TAV 21 exhaust above - always wondered what bolt 5 was for - any ideas?
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
 
Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1759
Location: pa
UTC quote
it is a bung for an O2 sensor.....which came with the FI......

I actually lost mine...went to order one, the fella said its just a 10mm thread bolt......so mines a bit funky looking, but works...errr.....did....
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0120s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]