@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
On my daily 25 mile commute to work, going about 45mph, the back tire blew. Sounded like a cross between a gun and a Star Wars blaster! I'm quite proud of myself; didn't even twitch the handlebars. Just turned on the turn signal and pulled over.

I knew the tire needed to be replaced. In fact, I was going to take it tomorrow morning. Instead, it got a $75 ride in a trailer while I was dropped off at work in a minivan Clown emoticon
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Glad to hear you negotiated that disaster successfully!

You will be rolling again soon enough.
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
Picking it up tomorrow morning! Vespa Orlando has been great in the almost year since I bought it. They wanted me to pick it up today as they're short on space, but I couldn't swing it.
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
What made it blow out? You said it needed to be replaced but that just suggests low tread which shouldn't be enough to actually make a tyre blow. Was there a nail in it or something? I thought modern tubeless tyres just deflated slowly rather than blew.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
mike_bike_kite wrote:
What made it blow out? You said it needed to be replaced but that just suggests low tread which shouldn't be enough to actually make a tyre blow. Was there a nail in it or something? I thought modern tubeless tyres just deflated slowly rather than blew.
hard to tell with out pics but I suspect the op had a balding rear tire with possible cords showing which if hitting any pot hole or sharp object could result in a blow out not just a slow leak.
@desmolicious avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@desmolicious avatar
UTC quote
Re: Had a blow-out this morning
CyberLizard wrote:
I knew the tire needed to be replaced.
Elaborate please...
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
A very bald tire. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight. I didn't hit any bump that I know of, just a regular not-exactly-smooth road.
@desmolicious avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@desmolicious avatar
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
A very bald tire. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight. I didn't hit any bump that I know of, just a regular not-exactly-smooth road.
Wow, well glad you're ok!

I'm sure you're not going to ride on bald tyres again!
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
Same thing happened to my wife (although at a lesser speed) a couple of years ago, she had only been riding Vespas for a few weeks but she handled it like a pro.
Glad you're ok.
@scooter_cruiser avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv 500

Hooked
@scooter_cruiser avatar
bv 500
UTC quote
Slow leaks are sneaky. You may or may not notice a handling change as the pressure drops but the heat build up in the lower pressure tire is what can ultimately lead to the sudden failure or "blowout". And it can happen without ever hitting anything.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Glad your alright. Could of been a bad scene I'm getting my Heidi's put on today and while their not bald i don't have much tread left. Not good.
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
Pic
Finally got the pic off my phone. Here's the guilty tire.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
Odd that the fabric only shows in that one place. I remember when I was riding an Ltd 440 and trying to save money I rode a set of tyres into the ground. When the fabric first started to show, it showed all the way round the tyre rather than in one place. When I finally chickened out and replaced them, I remember the tyre guy looking at me a little funny and asking me how many miles I'd done on them. I replied 15k and he nodded "yep, that would explain it".
UTC

Hooked
2011 LX 150ie 2013 LX 50 4v

Hooked
2011 LX 150ie 2013 LX 50 4v
UTC quote
25 mile commute in showery Florida probably not a good idea on "slicks"! Recommend earlier replacement next time.
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
Definitely going to replace it earlier next time! This tire had 8k miles on it. The front one does too, but it still looks quite good.
@waspman avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GTS 250ie

Addicted
@waspman avatar
2005 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
That's not a guilty tyre, it's a guilty CyberLizard! Shame on you sir blaming an innocent inanimate rubber object

Seriously though, if you had caused an accident the police would certainly be blaming you NOT the tyre!!
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
Mea culpa!
Agreed!
UTC

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 170i

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 170i
UTC quote
Age of tire ...
CyberLizard wrote:
Definitely going to replace it earlier next time! This tire had 8k miles on it. The front one does too, but it still looks quite good.
Another factor to consider is the age of the tire. I'm new to scooters, so not sure if the same rules apply. Maybe others could elaborate on the topic. Rubber gets old! Automotive tires come with a date per DOT rules and could give you trouble depending on the age. Opinions vary. Check this link out. A front tire blow out may have resulted In a less than successful out come.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
aa318906 - I've had the bike (and the tires) since may of last year. I didn't know about the code, I'll take a look and see what mine shows.
@scooter10s avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black

Hooked
@scooter10s avatar
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
UTC quote
Quote:
Finally got the pic off my phone. Here's the guilty tire.

my goodness, worn through two layers of cords , you are a lucky man...teacher says go write the words "tread wear indicator" on the chalk board 100 times..." thank you for an honest sharing of the story, please be safe, and "go forth and sin no more"
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Wow I can't believe you were riding on that. No lecture here though since you already know it was a bad idea and my lectures suck anyway. Glad you didn't get hurt.
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
FTR, I couldn't see any of the cords on the tire, just baldness. Irregardless, I was still pushing it. When I had a car I had 3 other tires to make up the slack when I drive my tires into the ground. Lot less slack with only 2 tires.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
FTR, I couldn't see any of the cords on the tire, just baldness.
Scooter10S was just commenting that 2 layers of cord are visible in the photo you posted. Glad you weren't hurt. Keep on eye on your tires in the future. Those two sets of tread are all there is between you and the road .
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
CyberLizard wrote:
FTR, I couldn't see any of the cords on the tire, just baldness.
Scooter10S was just commenting that 2 layers of cord are visible in the photo you posted. Glad you weren't hurt. Keep on eye on your tires in the future. Those two sets of tread are all there is between you and the road .
Shoot! Two sets of cords are worn through, not just visible.
@deathbytray avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super (RIP) / Stella 2T

Addicted
@deathbytray avatar
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
Note to self: be more anal about replacing tires when they wear.
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
I'm glad you're ok, but, how could you let a tyre get so bald?

I guess laws aren't as strict where you're from. I'd fear for my safety having something that bad.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Wow, now i'm even more impressed that you weren't hurt with those tires, i mean tire. You got your monies worth out of it tho. Laughing emoticon I had a 5yr old over 12k original Pirelli front tire that i took off on Saturday. The cupping was so severe, even i could see it from far away once it was off. That wasn't too smart to ride with that either and my back was almost down to the cords as well. Love my new Heidi's. What kind of tire did you replace it with?
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
judy - The local Vespa shop uses Vee Rubber tires by default. I didn't specify anything different since that was the tire on it before. They seem to get good reviews and I never had any problem with them.

AKP - Not sure what you mean about the law. We don't have safety or emission inspections down here. I let it get that bald because it's my first bike and having only had cars, it didn't occur to me that I'd have to replace a tire after only 8 months! Guess I know better now. Razz emoticon
OP
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
So what does it take to mount tires one's self? Shop charged about $69 for the tire, $75 to mount! How hard can it be? Laughing emoticon
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
@Judy - The local Vespa shop uses Vee Rubber tires by default. I didn't specify anything different since that was the tire on it before. They seem to get good reviews and I never had any problem with them.

@AKP - Not sure what you mean about the law. We don't have safety or emission inspections down here. I let it get that bald because it's my first bike and having only had cars, it didn't occur to me that I'd have to replace a tire after only 8 months! Guess I know better now. Razz emoticon
In the UK you legally have to have a certain amount of tread on your tyres. If they get too low run the risk of fines, points on your license, or even the bike being taken off the road by the Police until you can rectify the issue.

Sounds tough, but, it's safe.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
So what does it take to mount tires one's self? Shop charged about $69 for the tire, $75 to mount! How hard can it be? Laughing emoticon
To save money I order the tire online then take the wheel off the bike and take it and the new tire to a local Yamaha shop for mounting. They only charge me $25.00 though I still have to balance it myself since they don't have the right equipment for my wheel. And save more if you want to learn (and buy equipment) to mount your own tires.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Try City Grips, a very nice tire...
@deathbytray avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@deathbytray avatar
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
Well, seeing as you just had a blowout, I would shell out a little money for a professional job this one time.

But I would call around a few motorcycle places near by to see if I could find a better price.
@flying_brick avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 BV 250

Hooked
@flying_brick avatar
2008 BV 250
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
I have a bead breaker from Harbor Freight, and a few tire spoons. Took me a few tries to be able to do it quickly, but I can change a full set in less than an hour. It's been a long time since anyone other than me has worked on my bike.
@chilla5 avatar
UTC

2009 GTS 250 Super

@chilla5 avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super
UTC quote
some places charge more for mounting a tire that you bring them but if you take the wheel instead of the bike it should be cheaper.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
AKP wrote:
CyberLizard wrote:
@Judy - The local Vespa shop uses Vee Rubber tires by default. I didn't specify anything different since that was the tire on it before. They seem to get good reviews and I never had any problem with them.

@AKP - Not sure what you mean about the law. We don't have safety or emission inspections down here. I let it get that bald because it's my first bike and having only had cars, it didn't occur to me that I'd have to replace a tire after only 8 months! Guess I know better now. Razz emoticon
In the UK you legally have to have a certain amount of tread on your tyres. If they get too low run the risk of fines, points on your license, or even the bike being taken off the road by the Police until you can rectify the issue.

same here in the US as far as tread depth. heck even all tires have a wear bar making it real easy to see when a new tire is needed.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
CyberLizard wrote:
well it ain't a bicycle tire. removing tires with out damaging rims is the hard part. lots of folks can get them on and off but ding up and scratch rims. I change my own tires but I also have a $900 tire changer. I also balance my own tires.

Remember to replace valve stems as well when installing new tires.

Oh I started changing my own tires a few years ago, I now have somewhere around 42 or 43 years doing it.
@mightymousetech avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@mightymousetech avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
AKP wrote:
CyberLizard wrote:

Any state/country/county etc etc will have a similar law. Here in Ontario, Canada, the minimum by law is 1.5 mm of tread OR any tread wear indicator touching the road surface. You can be fined for driving with less, and if you have an accident, insurance companies are just itching to deny your claim.
@calvin avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie Super, 2006 LX 50 (sold)

Hooked
@calvin avatar
2009 GTS 250ie Super, 2006 LX 50 (sold)
UTC quote
Wow, that really was bald. Glad you're OK.
@57goldtop avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250ie

@57goldtop avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Replaced mine around 3000 miles and knew because it was getting a bit "slippery" around turns...even without gravel.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0280s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0112s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]