OP
UTC

GTS 300

GTS 300
UTC quote
I am scooter shopping... I was originally looking at MP3s, but test drove one and have decided they're just heavier to handle than I'm looking for. I love the look of the GTS 300, but would like some opinions on its ability to handle rough roads. My commute is entirely non-urban (2 lane hiways, twisty rural roads, lots of hills). My concern is the 12" tires. Based on the types of roads I'll be on, should I be looking at the larger-tired BV instead? I'm tall, so seat height isn't an issue. I'm more concerned with patchy-pavement stability. Thoughts? Experience?
@bklwashere avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250

Addicted
@bklwashere avatar
2006 Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
The BVs are fabulous scoots. I love the 16 inch tires. They will handle rough roads just fine. I'm sure a Vespa would do okay too, but I'm a bit biased

I'm on the BV250 filming and that is a GTS 250 in front of me.

@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
Montreal's roads are pretty poor. Lots of potholes, heaved pavement, cracks, seams, and occasionally no pavement at all.

Before I started riding, I have to admit I was concerned about the small diameter wheels. With three seasons of experience, I am amazed how well they perform. It's counter intuitive.
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
BV or GTS will suit you fine. The GTS is quite stable on all sorts of roads and speeds. Pick a style you like, and one that is comfortable, and enjoy!
@draakan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'10 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@draakan avatar
'10 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Not that this will make the choice easier. But I was dead set on getting the new Bv 350. No way no how was anyone going to change my mind. Well my dealer didn't have any and wasn't going to get any till til April. So I tested the GTS 300. I was on the phone with my bank 20 minutes later. The GTS is that fun, and I have not had a single issue with just after winter pot holed up roads. The GTS if very nimble.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
I have two Veaps GT200s with 12" wheels. They ride hard as hell on any rough pavementi. I have given some thought to swiching to something with larger wheels because of it.
@scooter_cruiser avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv 500

Hooked
@scooter_cruiser avatar
bv 500
UTC quote
I ride the mean streets of Chicago (pun intended) where the pavement is awful - potholes, open seams, sewer grates busted up, you-name-it. Don't know if it's the larger wheels, better suspension, or the combination of all of that, but the bv handles this terrain very well. As well as my cruiser mc.
OP
UTC

GTS 300

GTS 300
UTC quote
OK, it looks like I need to go test ride both this weekend...
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
RICHARD put some Malossi shocks on and it will ride like a different scooter. Stock shocks suck.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
Judy,
I have considered afermarket shocks and shopping for the best deal. Does your recommendation call for front shocks only or front and rear?
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
I have a GTV250 with 12" wheels. I live rurally. Rough roads abound. Farms, horse farms, Amish farms. Highest point in state for lake effect snow with lots of hills, twisty rural roads, 2 lane highways, hills and winding roads. You describe my daily riding scenario, when available to ride, due to weather.

The state routes I travel on include speeds of 50 mph (with 18 wheelers hauling in either direction). On the county roads, with a high percentage being dirt roads, speed limits are maxed at 50 mph, depending on location. The interstate, if required, speed limit is 65 mph.

My ride is GREAT on the GTV250!

I had a Vespa S150, riding the same roads. With the throttle fully down, I "chugged up" the hills, after the valleys of the state routes and county roads ... never entered the interstate with it. Loved the S150 ...it's a scoot for the city, not for rural riding with hills, dales and valleys.

The GTS300 sounds great ... may I recommend, not to consider a smaller size engine for the riding you describe! The GTV300 was the new model introduced the year after I purchased the GTV250 ... I am assuming the same for the GTS? Hence, the engine size you are reviewing will work for you!

Good Luck!
@davidcha avatar
UTC

Addicted
2011 GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@davidcha avatar
2011 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
KCS - where are you in Seattle? I started with an LXV150 and then went to a GTS300. I ride from Ballard to Bothell on a regular basis and both are great on the variety of roads I face on the commute. I'm 6'2" /190lbs and both worked for me. I will also say that I don't frequent any of the major highways (I5, I90, 520, 405) more from personal choice and the fact that there are non-highway options for most routes. In the cage on the highways, I most frequently see MP3's...draw your own conclusions there.

Frankly, I ended up going with the 300 when the titanium color came out...had to have it! Laughing emoticon

Good luck making your choice.
OP
UTC

GTS 300

GTS 300
UTC quote
So... Spent the afternoon test riding. I ended up buying a GTS 300 super, in red. Got a great deal on a 2010 (unused). Here's the lowdown on the other ones I tried --

BV300: Really liked the stable feeling of the larger wheels, but the flyscreen height made me feel like I was in a wind tunnel (I realize that could be adjusted). More problematic for me was the seat. I'm really tall and I felt like the seat pushed my knees too far forward. It may be great for someone with shorter legs than me, but I just couldn't find the right foot position.

Kymco People 300: Hmm. Really didn't like it. I've heard good things about the Kymcos, but it was too torque-ee for me, and the seating position was too upright. It just generally wasn't comfortable. Props to Kymco though for the having audible turn signals. best. feature. ever.

In the end, the GTS felt the best out of all of them for me, so that's what I went with. Can't wait to get out and ride.

And DavidCha -- I'm in Redmond.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Good choice. You will be very pleased as you ride such a fine machine over the next several years.
UTC

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I'd marry my GTS if I could.
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
Congrats on the new scoot! It sounds like you certainly picked the one best for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Pix when you get it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0185s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0092s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]