@edmn1mpr avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1966 Vespa 180SS

Enthusiast
@edmn1mpr avatar
1966 Vespa 180SS
UTC quote
Well after replacing the points and condenser and going over the ign timing several times trying different fuel mixture well you get the picture I just received a new ign high tension coil and that took care of the running problem of weak spark sometimes. I could put a new spark plug in the engine and go for a short ride and stop, it wouldn't restart I would have to put a new plug in it to get it restarted. So what do you think of that !!! Does anyone have a good test procedure for checking the ign coil on a two stroke, and while your at it what type of fuel to oil mix are you guys using on the 180 SS I use the Belray S2 oil 5oz per US Gal.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
what does your plug look like? sounds like a fuel issue to me.
@mighty_triceratops avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200

Addicted
@mighty_triceratops avatar
'79 P200
UTC quote
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is that tail light?
@mister_sandman avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1965 SS180; 1966 SS180; 1966 Sears Bluebadge; 1962 Lambretta TV175

Enthusiast
@mister_sandman avatar
1965 SS180; 1966 SS180; 1966 Sears Bluebadge; 1962 Lambretta TV175
UTC quote
mighty_triceratops wrote:
Mickey Mouse tailight. Found on American 1966 SS-180s. (And also Allstates from 66).
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
mighty_triceratops wrote:
That is the fabled "Mickey Mouse" tail light. Only came on 1966 models.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
What type of HT coil did you install? I've heard bad things about the original style in the plastic/bakelite housing. Mine exhibited the same symptoms but more extreme. Mine would shut off once it got warmed up. Just like you hit the kill switch. Once cooled off, it would fire right back up. I installed a Sprint style coil and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

Another possibility is the condenser. It's fairly common for them to be bad right of out the package. I'd try another new condenser first and see if that fixes it.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
What killo said. The red bakelite original on my Rally became intermittent and was replaced with a generic black P style. Even the generics have differences. The wire from the stator fits onto a flat connector. The other side of the primary winding is grounded by a flat metal strip on some, and by an S shaped metal piece on others, seen on top of the coil. I had an almost new coil's flat metal strip crack, probably from vibration or expansion/contraction, become intermittent, and had me head-scratching until I saw the split.

Did you find a replacement points cam operator? (From the other thread).
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC quote
It's flooding. Common on these as the carb is bolted directly to the cylinder. When you stop, the carb gets hot and the fuel in the float bowl expands and floods the engine. You need to be diligent about shutting off the tap before you shut off the engine to run the float bowl down. When you restart, no choke and hold the throttle all the way open.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
This is very useful information about the coil. I am rebuilding a GS 160 at the moment which came with a Sprint type coil. I bought a new original style coil, the type in the brown bakelite case, in hopes of keeping it as original as possible. After reading the above I'm now wondering if I should just keep the Sprint coil that the previous owner had on there. Original is nice, but keeping it reliable and on the road is a higher priority.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
I had the same type of symptons and it came down to a bad new condensor. Yep...changet the coil, uber cleaned the carb etc etc...it was the freaking "new" condensor all the time.

As far as tail lights...I finally found a proper "tuna can" for my 68! Not as pretty as some of the other SS180s...but it is correct and "matches" the round headlight!
OP
@edmn1mpr avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1966 Vespa 180SS

Enthusiast
@edmn1mpr avatar
1966 Vespa 180SS
UTC quote
!80 SS help Reply
[b]So Far this has been the best tread I have gotten in here for a long time. First When I rebuilt the carb I made sure that all surface where gasket went where flat, Some where warped and had to be ground down a little At one time thing where tighten down to tight. //// Before I shut down I always shut fuel off and for starting >>> NO choke full throttle starts with one kick then I turn the fuel on.. Second The Tail Light it was the tail light that this scooter came with new. The 1966 Vespa 180 SS came with this tail light not with the chrome ones you see on the internet My scooter is original except for some trim and rubber trim from gray to black. Now for the coil I got another coil from scooter-works and all running problems are gone my old coil was crap but it was still running I already had new points and condenser in it//// AS for the cam I haven't found one yet but I took mine off the last time and polished it up with some 600 grit wet paper and it took off most of the lines that was on it and so far I haven't had a issue ////// I installed a Sprint style coil and haven't had a bit of trouble since. Killo what is the difference in the coil I put the same type back in and as I said its running perfect now but I do not like this type of coil the winding are exposed to the humidity here. I took the old coil apart [/b]and noticed some green corrosion in it like water got in there Thank you all for your great comments Now what type of coil works best for the 180 SS ////EDM/N1MPR [/b][/b]
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
I don't know what the difference is between the coils other than the difference in construction. Clearly Vespa started using them for a reason. The reproductions are inferior for some reason. I've heard that people have had their original style coils rewound. Those who've had it done by someone that knows what they're doing have had success. If you want the original look, that's an option if you can find someone to rewind an original.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0205s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0116s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]