UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Hey All,

I had my S150 since last fall and stopped by the local dealer just to look...

They had a nice new GTS 300 there...
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

After 45 or so bikes I have a hard time just looking, lol. So anyway I traded my 150...

For this 300...

I live 7 miles from work, today it took 70 miles and 2 hours to get home

Top of the to-do list is a grey seat cover like this:

I have already ordered some bar ends, CRG mirrors, new jacket and gloves, rear crash bars... I think that's it.

Doing a write up on the differences I most notice during my short ride this evening, will post soon.
@dsmaz avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@dsmaz avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
That's a really nice color on the 300
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
That looks like Daring Plum that they discontinued a few years ago. Gorgeous bike!
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
I just turned 600 miles on my New White 2012 GTS Super 300. All I can say from a power perspective it is a "Neck Breaker". I traded my Buddy 125 in, and as of late going broke on purchasing more and more accessories. Now the frustration is high trying to get a Top Case, and Full Windshield from Piaggio as the parts are all on backorder.

Keith
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Congratulations !

Its very nice Razz emoticon
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks so much for the comments, I'm really enjoying the 300.

Yes, it's "Daring Plum"... which is very hard to capture in the photos, you really have to see it in person... to me it's really like a dark wine/maroon kind of color with nice flake in it.

@ klaborde - yeh, I'm going broke too!! LOL Besides the mods I ordered I decided yesterday to compliment the gray accents I'm doing on the bike with a new jacket and gloves. I pre-ordered the new Icon 1000 Chapter Jacket: http://icon1000.com/collection/icon-1000-chapter-jacket-grey/ and Icon 1000 Rimfire Gloves: http://icon1000.com/collection/icon-1000-rimfire-glove-grey/ They say they will ship in early April. I'm doing my part to keep the economy going!

My 1 day review of my 150 vs 300... This is just my personal opinion based only on my own experience (21 years of street riding and 32 years of dirt riding... had sumo's, HD's, sport/race bikes, etc.) so your "mileage" may differ.

- QUALITY, FIT and FINISH -
Top notch, feels high quality. Everything fits well and looks great, same great quality as my 150.

- FEATURES -
A couple of nice items I really appreciate on the 300 is the seat release button to the left of the bag hook and the ability to open the glove box with the key in the bike and/or while running. These are nice to me as if I need access to either storage compartment I don't need to turn the bike off. That may sound simple but it's nice.

- COMFORT/WEIGHT/SIZE/SEAT HEIGHT -
The 300 is a good bit more comfortable than my 150. The extra (apx) 100lbs do not feel like it, the bike is well balanced, it's easy to get on and off the centerstand and push around the garage as well. To my surprise the seat height is lower than my 150, after a 70 mile ride yesterday the seat was still comfy. I'm 5'8", with a short 30" inseam... on my 150 I was on my toes, with the 300 the balls of my feet touch. The seat is much larger, more comfy and I get the feeling of sitting more "in" the bike rather than atop it which I prefer. My wife is a lot more comfortable as a passenger on the 300, there is space between us where on the 150 it was a tight fit.

- CARGO -
The 300 has a glove box that I fit some small items in... keys, badge for work, redbox dvd's, disc lock. It's not a huge area but great for the small items and there is a lip at the bottom so when I open the box nothing falls out. The underseat storage is about 1 1/2 times the size of the 150's. There are 2 helmet "pegs" on the 300 under the front of the seat, being able to lock a second helmet to the bike is nice as the 150 had one hook. The 300 came with the rear rack so I'm trying to figure if I'm going to get a top case or not... since the bike is apx 21" wide at the widest part of the back I'm thinking a 18-19" wide top case would work for me and provide a good bit of extra storage when needed.

- SUSPENSION/STEERING/BRAKES -
The 300 is less jittery over bumps at slow to medium speeds and much more solid and stabil at faster speeds. The steering is a bit slower but I still get that fun/zippy feeling of scooting. The 150 had very light steering and at speed did not feel as planted. The brakes are top notch and feel well matched to the bikes size/speed.

- POWER -
There obviously is additional power, what's nice is that just like the 150 it comes on smooth, steady and predictable without hesitation. To help explain the power/speed difference... On 55mph+ roads the 300 has plenty of extra umph left to provide. I wouldn't hesitate to ride this 300 anywhere, it has the power to get on the highway with a passenger, cargo or whatever which I will fully test soon.

- OPTIONS -
There are a lot of parts for the 300 out there, providing a great way to customize the 300 for your needs/wants.

I'm sure there is a lot more to address but so far so good, I'm happy with my decision... and now it's raining all weekend of course, LOL.
@davec avatar
UTC

300GTS

@davec avatar
300GTS
UTC quote
Nice scooter! Congratulations on your recent purchase!
Best of luck!
Dave
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thank you!

@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD
UTC quote
Love the color!

Congratulations on a beautiful scooter!
@gitder avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250...Fiddle III 200

Hooked
@gitder avatar
GTS 250...Fiddle III 200
UTC quote
If I may say, that 150 was the coolest I've ever seen. I assume all the orange was custom, or? Terrific job.
@viscerok avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@viscerok avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Congrats! Nice color. Plum and flat black are the best imo. Neither were availae in 2010 when I bought my 300, So I got "black".

I have no problems merging onto highways and keeping pace during my commute, but on pleasure rides, like today, I keep it on the 40 +/- surface streets and can pretty much spank all but the most determined drivers. It's nice to be cruising at about 45 with half throttle and be able to still pull away hard.

My only issue with the bike is the seat latch that constantly has to be adjusted. I keep a flathead screw driver in the glove box to pry the latch open at least 3 times a week. No amount of wd40 or adjustment seems to remedy this (?)

Enjoy!....
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks so much!!

@ gitder... My 150 was all stock, pics make it look orange but it was actually red. Never saw another in that color myself which is why I got it. Thanks.

@ viscerok... Thank you for the compliment as well as the tip on the seat I'm still reading all the threads on the GTS learning all the in's and out's.

Been raining all day so no riding, removed all stickers as well as the emblems from the glove box and both rear sides. Next week is looking mostly clear... Can't wait to ride!!
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
It's been a busy 12 days but my bike is coming together as I had envisioned... Did a few mods to it to make it my own...

INSTALLED...
- Battery Tender plug.

- Jettin barbell bar ends, went with these as I'm going to try the CRG bar end mirrors. Pictured next to stock bar ends...

- Removed side reflectors front and rear and replaced with plastic plugs...

- Cuppini Rear Bars, decided on these to prevent door dings, etc. These seemed to follow the flow well of the leg shield trim without being too large.

- Vespa Flyscreen, this will be my spring/summer screen. Once fall/winter hits I will get a full size with hand protection and cut it down to size.

- Vespa topcase, I went with the color matched topcase. Installation was a breeze and it's more sturdy than I expected. Everything I carry fits in the underseat storage, the top case will be for my lunch/dinner, gloves/helmet/jacket when I'm not on the bike or for a grocery trip as well as providing a backrest for passengers. Backrest pad removed as it's being recovered...
Fits an Arai full face in size large very easy and with room to spare...
With my usual riding gear...

- rLiNK SR-i1100SE Alarm, I have had this same alarm on prior motorbikes (my ZX-14 and then later my Ninja 250) and decided I'm going to keep this 300 a while so I put it in. It's a nice alarm... it has GPS tracking, an iPhone app to control arm/disarm (as well as a keyfob) and will send you text messages/emails if your alarm gives off warning chirps or fully goes off so you can get messages even when away from your bike. Here is a screenshot of the iPhone app, I will share GPS routes/mapping from the phone and online portal at a later date...

- Gray knee pads with 12v outlet, my intention is to closely match the knee pads and seat to the wheels. I wanted 12v outlet as well so this was an easy decision. The flash is a bit bright and made these look a bit lighter than they are in person...

- Footplate rack from Didge, I like the drink holder as well as being able to strap heavier items down to it keeping the weight low.

NOT YET INSTALLED...
- CRG mirrors, need to check on the threads again regarding needing longer bolts and then source those from my local hardware store.

WAITING ON...
Seat and topcase backrest to be recovered in gray, I wanted to ditch the tan go with gray by matching the wheels, knee pads and seat/backrest. Here is the material the seat and topcase backrest pad are to be recovered in...

Once I get the seat/backrest pad back and installed I will get the bike out for some entire bike photos and while it's outside in better lighting.

@jimscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
PX 150

Addicted
@jimscoot avatar
PX 150
UTC quote
here in oz we only get the 300 as a super,super sport and GTV..Didn't realise you guys can get a 300 in the old 250 body?
I had an old LX125 in that plum color and everyone would stop and comment on it great color, enjoy your new ride.
UTC

UTC quote
Slolane,

Thanks for the update. She's coming along nicely
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thank you guys!!

Got the seat done tonight, topcase backrest pad should be done tomorrow. I went with gray with maroon stitching to match the bike, here are some iPhone pics...

I'm loving it, turned out really well. I will have to get some more pics tomorrow in the daylight.

@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
The seat looks great, James! I need to get that upholstery guy's name off you in case I need any work done.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Beautiful scooter but you sold the LX. Crying or Very sad emoticon Nah sounds like the 300 is just right for you. Love the color BTW. Enjoy it and be careful out there. JIM the plum is a very cool color. I also get comments on it. Flanman has a 200 in the same color. Looks cute with them side by side.
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
The seat looks great, James! I need to get that upholstery guy's name off you in case I need any work done.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it. I just sent you a PM with my buddy's info.
judy wrote:
Beautiful scooter but you sold the LX. Crying or Very sad emoticon Nah sounds like the 300 is just right for you. Love the color BTW. Enjoy it and be careful out there. JIM the plum is a very cool color. I also get comments on it. Flanman has a 200 in the same color. Looks cute with them side by side.
Thanks Judy!! Yeh, had to trade my 150 for the 300 but it works for me. I like the color, get a lot of compliments on it. My new favorite color is gray so I had to replace the tan for that. Dang, if I were in HI we could get the 150, 200 and 300 together for a photo shoot!
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Ok, the topcase backrest pad is done. It turned out better than I expected, the gray accents compliment the maroon/wine color very well and the maroon seat stitching ties it in as well. Blah, blah, onto the pic...

OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
For those who asked about my friend who did the seat/backrest I will check with him on pricing and how much interest he has doing these and get back to you all.

Thanks,
James
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Well done! That is an amazingly beautiful scooter.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Slolane wrote:
Ok, the topcase backrest pad is done. It turned out better than I expected, the gray accents compliment the maroon/wine color very well and the maroon seat stitching ties it in as well. Blah, blah, onto the pic...

That is seriously a stylish looking ride! Love the one-off-ness and your taste! Nicely done.. Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Wow, thanks so much for the kind words.
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
Temporarily Scooterless... :(
UTC quote
Definitely looks sweet!

I do have a question though... Clearly, the 'dash' is from a '300' - it is identical to mine... but no 'slots' on the right side cowl? Is this a design change of some sort? Maybe Piaggio is mixing some things together with the demise of the 250? Just curious if anyone knows.

Have fun!

Desi B.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
SLO now that would be cool. 8) It's a date.
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
primordialdancer wrote:
Definitely looks sweet!

I do have a question though... Clearly, the 'dash' is from a '300' - it is identical to mine... but no 'slots' on the right side cowl? Is this a design change of some sort? Maybe Piaggio is mixing some things together with the demise of the 250? Just curious if anyone knows.

Have fun!

Desi B.
I'm not sure about all the changes but my buddy Charlie just got a 300 Super today and it has the slots...
judy wrote:
SLO now that would be cool. 8) It's a date.
I SOOOOO wish I could make it over there... I will some day!
@scootchef avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super

Ossessionato
@scootchef avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
primordialdancer wrote:
Definitely looks sweet!

Have fun!

Desi B.
Desi, I think just the supers have the vents on the right cowl.
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Slolane wrote:
For those who asked about my friend who did the seat/backrest I will check with him on pricing and how much interest he has doing these and get back to you all.

Thanks,
James
So for any locals who were interested my friend will do seat recovers starting at $180... going up from there for custom work, he can do it all so the sky is the limit.

His contact info is...
Bay Country Upholstery
1828 George Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-263-3161
Owner: Mike Barbour
@bonkers avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'06 GTS (Grendel), '13 Honda NC700X (Ginger)

Molto Verboso
@bonkers avatar
'06 GTS (Grendel), '13 Honda NC700X (Ginger)
UTC quote
Shiny.

Nice lookin' scoot!
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks!!

I'm loving it. Put 250 miles on in 2 weeks... weather is looking good so I should be able to ride every day this week.

@arctic_circle_rider avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300 Super (scrap cube post accident); 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Enthusiast
@arctic_circle_rider avatar
GTS300 Super (scrap cube post accident); 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
UTC quote
Hey Slolane. Great job with the scoot; looks amazing! Did you get your Icon 1000 Chapter Jacket yet? Would love to see some photos of the jacket with the bike. I ordered the brown one and can't wait for it to arrive (hopefully by next week). Nice gloves as well!

Cheers!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
What a great looking scooter! I really liked the "daring plum" when the LX came that way and I think I like it even more on the GTS. I really like the way you have tricked it out. Lookin' good!
@victor1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2011 LX150ie two tone expresso

Molto Verboso
@victor1 avatar
2011 LX150ie two tone expresso
UTC quote
Wow, it paid to just stop and "look". I think you have the sharpest color out there. Congrats.
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS Super

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
That is a seriously good looking scooter! I LOVE the color combination! Classy and stylish!

Well done... Clap emoticon
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
The thing that is really fun about a new bike...
You get to spend a fortune "Accessorizing" again.
The only obstacle is course is Piaggio sending the parts to the US.

Here is the lastest picture of "Bianca"...
A few more items from Didge (FootRail), and the Front Vespa Mud Guard, and I am done.

The MP3 now is in need of some attention...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Arctic Circle Rider wrote:
Hey Slolane. Great job with the scoot; looks amazing! Did you get your Icon 1000 Chapter Jacket yet? Would love to see some photos of the jacket with the bike. I ordered the brown one and can't wait for it to arrive (hopefully by next week). Nice gloves as well!

Cheers!
Hi Arctic Circle Rider! Thanks so much, I did get my jacket, just arrived Monday. It's top notch, a very nice piece for sure. I will get some pics with the bike but for now here it is in the kitchen (lol):

The gloves aren't here yet, can't wait for those as well.

Congrats on the brown jacket, please post some pics of that when you get it.
Dooglas wrote:
What a great looking scooter! I really liked the "daring plum" when the LX came that way and I think I like it even more on the GTS. I really like the way you have tricked it out. Lookin' good!
Thanks Dooglas!
victor1 wrote:
Wow, it paid to just stop and "look". I think you have the sharpest color out there. Congrats.
Thanks victor1, when I first saw it I wasn't sure but went back to the dealership 3 times before I purchased it to look it over... and now I love it. The seat was the biggest issue for me, I didn't like the tan.
cmo1016 wrote:
That is a seriously good looking scooter! I LOVE the color combination! Classy and stylish!

Well done... Clap emoticon
Thanks cmo1016!!
klaborde wrote:
The thing that is really fun about a new bike...
You get to spend a fortune "Accessorizing" again.
Nice scoot. Yeh, I never seem to have a problem adding accessories, LOL.
@velobuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
08 Aprilia SportCity 250, 12 Buddy 170i

Hooked
@velobuff avatar
08 Aprilia SportCity 250, 12 Buddy 170i
UTC quote
Wow! I know it's a tiny detail but I absolutely love that you had enough attention to detail to match the seat/backrest stitching to the paint.
OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
velobuff wrote:
Wow! I know it's a tiny detail but I absolutely love that you had enough attention to detail to match the seat/backrest stitching to the paint.
Thanks so much, my buddy did the seat and he matched it really well.

OP
@slolane avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300

Hooked
@slolane avatar
2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
Pics of my new jacket with the bike/seat...

Turned out really well.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0418s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0211s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]