@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Had to park my new 300GTS off the street and on my front walkway the night before last. Done it before a few times, not a problem. Until it was.

Put it this way, I was dealing with wet grass, a touchy throttle, and I rode off my narrow concrete path onto the grass then did a dumber thing. Instead of just stopping, I tried to get the scoot back on the path in the remaining few feet but ran out talent.

Gotta a new painted fender on order, and going in the morning to get the fork aligned. The tire and fender hit a plant I didn't like anyway, but I nailed my ribs and back pretty bad on the way down. Not doctor bad, just major ouch.

I did a full visual and some riding time today, that's how I know the fork needs a bit of a tweak not replacement (though it has to come out to change the fender). Everything works, no stiction, weird noises, leaking, wobble or anything real bad, just a slight pull to the right. Shop says they can fix that no problem. Meanwhile, I ghetto-rigged the rest of the fender for safe riding, I don't want the rest of it to come apart and do something bad like cut the front tire or worse. Check out the picture:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Inside the fender under the black photo tape is a strip of strong and sticky duct tape. Then a whipped up a brace of sorts to hopefully prevent it separating from aerodynamic and other loads. It's hard to see but I drilled a stop hole on other side to prevent another crack from growing so I think I should be OK for a few days at least.

Ah, failure is so bittersweet. One way to look at is that you learn from your mistakes. Another way to look at it that sometimes, I can be a real freakin idiot!
@davec avatar
UTC

300GTS

@davec avatar
300GTS
UTC quote
Been there and done that!
Sorry to hear about your mishap with the scooter, but found by personal experience, it's a lesson well learned.. I too, have made a bad decision and paid dearly for it. I consider my experience a new learning curve.?? I now find myself more cautious and probably better for it!

I'm sure your 300 will be fixed like new again! By the way, nice color choice for your scooter...

Be Safe,
Dave
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
Re: Pure fail. Just pure freaking fail. No other word for it
kwsmithphoto wrote:
just a slight pull to the right. Shop says they can fix that no problem.
The handle bars aren't firmly fixed to the front end. They do this on purpose so they don't break in a fall. You can straighten them out either by turning the steering to full lock and then just giving the handle bars a bit more push to get them back into alignment. Alternatively you can hold the front wheel between your knees and just tweek the handle bars to straighten them.

If it makes you feel any better I think most of us have done something similar - given enough time I'll guarantee all of us will. Mine was after buying my first flashy sports bike, I'd gone down the pub to proudly show it to my mates and was just straightening it up for a photo when I somehow managed to push it off the side stand - oh well
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Quote:
...... but ran out talent.
That is the best explianation of many of my same errors. Been there.
UTC

Hooked
Vespaless

Hooked
Vespaless
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
Quote:
...... but ran out talent.
That is the best explianation of many of my same errors. Been there.
Oh yeah, explains many of my errors too.

So sorry to see the damage but stuff happens. Glad you are ok, that's the important thing. The scoot will be back like new before you know it.

Stuff like this is sorta fun in a way - at least when you are able to look back on it, not while you are going through it - all part of the wonderful world of scoot ownership.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Something similar also happpened to me about a month and a half ago. Luckily neither the scooter nor I was not hurt. Here's what happened: I had just arrived home after a late night. I do not have a garage door opener. My car is always parked a few feet away so that I can maneuver the scooter in after putting it on the center stand. I had spilled a bit of engine oil on the pavement during my last maintenance service so I covered the rather large spot with cate litter to absorb the stain. I could not decide if I wanted to go into the garage forward or backward and at this point the door was closed. So I kept going back and forth with a little help from my legs when all of a sudden I don't know what came over me and I hit the throttle a bit too hard, panicked, and hit the garage door at a 90 degree angle. Of course I put a dent on the door but the funny thing was that there was so much termite demage around the frame that the whole thing pretty much detached from the structured about 4 inches. Next day I called my land lady and, of course I was waiting for an invoice from her after she treated for termites and replaced the door. She said that I actually made her a favor by "runnining" my scooter against the door because otherwise she would not have known about the termites. No invoice! She really made my day. I was so embarassed.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super

Hooked
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
The throttle on new 300s is definitely "touchy." The touchiness goes away (and/or you get used to it) after the first hundred or so miles, but I remember how jumpy that throttle was when I first got my 300 Super. Nice job on the ghetto rig.
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
ouchie
The first time is the hardest (usually on the rider). It's done, you're going to fix it and now you are in the category of 'those that have' versus 'those that will'.

I'm glad you're (mostly) o.k., although rib injuries seem to take awhile to heal.

You'll be back to riding your scoot in no time! Heal quickly!
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
UTC quote
Sorry that happened to you. The fact is we all do dumb things from time to time whether we like to admit it or not.

+1 on Mike's advice on straightening the steering. I've had to do it a couple times. It may take a little trial and error to get it right. Adjust, ride, repeat until you're satisfied it's straight.
@salima_draghetta avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@salima_draghetta avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
post deleted by Salima
⚠️ Last edited by Salima Draghetta on UTC; edited 1 time
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Salima Draghetta wrote:
danny*h wrote:
The fact is we all do dumb things from time to time whether we like to admit it or not.
I'll admit it! Here's my latest dumb thing from last week, while I was cutting onions for dinner, with a very sharp knife ... ouch!

Salima
That's the first time I've seen a blue onion. Razz emoticon
@ibjanky avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@ibjanky avatar
2012 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Picture of the plant you don't like Nerd emoticon

myke
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Ouch but glad YOUR alright. Well almost alright. It'll hit the pocketbook and you won't do that again. That's what i tell myself when i do something stupid. Hang in there. What MIKE said about the steering column. That should be an easy fix. Good luck.
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks all for your sympathies and stories. And that blue thumb shot is hysterical (sorry).

As my dad told me when he bought me a dirt bike at 8 years old:

"Son, there's only two kinds of riders - the ones that have gone down, and the ones that are going to."

This is why I ride with a $500, Snell-rated, Bell M4 Racing Helmet. Full face, of course. It's easier and cheaper to wear a good helmet than to re-learn the alphabet (or your have your face reconstructed).

I only gave it quick check ride on Thursday, but after my ghetto repair I put about 20 miles on it. There's another cliche about that, something about getting right back on the horse that threw ya.

I slept in a bad position last night. Woke up a few hours ago so I could warm up then ride the 10 or so miles to the dealer and get it done early. I'm still home. Since oxycodone and scooter riding don't mix very well, I think I'll wait a couple more hours...

BTW, the handlebars are straight when the bike is going straight, I just have to put a little forward pressure on the right side to keep it that way. I explained that to the shop and they said no problem, they can actually align the fork back to straight again without removing it. $42, takes half an hour, they do it all the time.

It will take more than half an hour for my ribs (and shin) to heal, but at least that doesn't cost anything and serves as a constant reminder to be a little more careful.
@broz avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4

Hooked
@broz avatar
2001 ET4
UTC quote
Hate to admit it but in have taken out side mirrors on both cages pulling in and out of the garage. And the list goes on from there.
Broz
@iovisiuppiter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 Vespa LX50, 1966 Vespa 150 Super

Hooked
@iovisiuppiter avatar
UTC quote
Oh man, that sucks But glad you're (mostly) ok, feel better.

Trust that plant will find itself adios-ed quick smart.

Stupidest thing I did - on a wet road, down a slight hill, stopped at the lights, both feet on the ground, removed hands from brakes, started to roll, very nearly dropped it as my shoes slipped on the road. Only just saved it. So dumb. No reason for it. Just didn't think.

That's a nice ghetto rig btw, surgical precision.
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
That's a nice ghetto rig btw, surgical precision.
Thank you. I wind tunnel tested it today at 75mph on the freeway, held up just fine.

Diagnosis from shop - while the bars were a bit out of square, the "steering pipe with wishbone" is slightly bent. $330 part. The "good" news is that the whole front end needs to be dropped to replace the fender, so it's still "just" 3 hours of labor.

And really, it's not money spent - VESPASO gave me such a good price on the bike that the roughly $800 it will cost is simply money not saved! Wrap that around your head, lol, but the rationalization works well enough for me!

Also, the LR metal bodywork got pushed in just a little, about 1/8" of an inch. Doesn't look bad, most people wouldn't notice, but I have this suction cup dent puller thing which has worked well before on door panels. Once my ribs heal, I plan to strap the bike to the house on the other side so I can try to pull it out upright without pulling the bike over. This too could end in tears, but replacing that panel is pretty expensive yet the damage is minimal. No paint damage either, fortunately, so it can wait.

But that could easily change when my 120 pound wife starts to ride it. With me riding it, there's enough off the line torque left to tow a perfectly good airplane. With just her on it though, well...I hope the local MSF guys have really good instructors!

And now her sister just saw it and wants to ride it too (then get her own Vespa if she likes it), so they're both going to do an MSF class together! Which is great but...really, my sister-in-law wants to ride my GTS300?? She got a brain concussion last year on a watercraft that she wasn't even driving! Dammit. But I gotta keep peace in the family. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I turned down comp and collision on the bike to save a lot of money, but at least I have basic liability. In CA, having liability on your car policy, as required by law, means that if you crash someone else's car, the owner's comp and collision covers vehicle repair, then their ins co subrogates (look it up) against your liability insurance for compensation. But it has to be car insurance, there is no crossover for motorcycle insurance here.

That said, I can add my wife to my bike insurance with virtually no rate increase....and she has the ability to buy me a new bike if she trashes the one that I, uh, have already kinda of trashed. But her sister? Nope. Neither does anyone else who isn't licensed and insured for motorcycles already. Friends keep asking me if they can ride it, and I say "are you immediately liquid for $6500 if you crash it?" I have had no takers so far and I'm not gonna budge. I can fuckup this bike perfectly well on my own, thank you.

BTW, here's a picture of the plant I didn't like anyway:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
A favorite plant for me, Crassula ovata reminds me of my now defunct caudiciform collection! Seldom seen house plant here in MN.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
"jade plant"?...send it here! it'll love the gulf coast !
; ^)
sorry to read about your mishap.
speedy recovery and shit man, take it slow and heal properly !
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
A favorite plant for me, Crassula ovata reminds me of my now defunct caudiciform collection! Seldom seen house plant here in MN.
Any plant is seldom seen in Minnesota. Even the trees hide in Winter!

But in the front I have mostly tropicals that are as dated as World War Two. I could easily replant it but am not going to. As you can see in the picture there is more of it in the ground behind it so it'll grow back soon enough. I'll try not to crash my bike into to remove again though, it's cheaper and less painful to just hire a landscape designer.

Which according to my wife would have been a better investment anyway, and she's right, of course. We don't have merged finances like most married couples do, so I can spend my income however I want, and she can spend her income however she wants. She also got a little annoyed that I bought the bike even though I owe her a fair bit of money (2011 sucked for me) but when my mom's empty condo closes (she died on Christmas) I will pay her back in full. Or full minus a Vespa LXV150 so she stays away from my 300 GTS!
@iovisiuppiter avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@iovisiuppiter avatar
UTC quote
Pissy little plant

Good luck with healing you and the scoot, I can only imagine what you must be feeling.

The excuse I use when the missus and my mate want to ride my GTS - "I saved $20 on the insurance by nominating only me as a person authorised to ride the scooter - if you have an accident, I'm not covered, then I'd have to sue you and it'll be a big ordeal and it just ain't worth it".

That works, even if it isn't true

Lols.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
Wow that sucks. Good thing you have a good sense of humor. It will all be fine ultimately.
UTC

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Hope you're back and in the saddle soon!
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks. Ya, what else can you do except laugh about stuff like this. I mean it's not like I wanted it happen, but it did, and I'm alive and little bit broken (and currently medicated).

This is sort of a pattern with me anyway. In 1996 I bought a new car, then met up with a friend that night. He backed his truck up over the hood while parking.

Then I bought a new car in 1999 and a week later on the freeway going 85 at night, the hood just flew open, smashed the windshield which left me virtually blinded (glass in my eyeballs didn't help with that). Had to count lane markers to move over to the side, and parked it safely on the shoulder.

I had it towed to the dealer, parked it out front on the street, and wrote a sign saying "quality you can count on!" with a big marker on the side of a large box I found in the dumpster. For some reason, the service manager didn't see the humor in that and threatened to sue me for slander. I said go ahead but read the First Amendment before you call your legal department. They didn't file suit and had the car fixed up real nice and real quick. But it was kinda funny, at least to me, especially when a manufacturer rep wrote me a personal letter asking if I was ok and if the car was returned to service to my satisfaction. Included was a bunch of forms stating that I will release all claims etc. Which I promptly took outside and used the paperwork to start my barbecue. Assholes.

My next new car, 10 years later, a week into owning it a neighbor smacked it and did $3500 worth of damage. A few months after that, I spun it on a road course and stuffed into into some hay bails, but couldn't use my insurance. I pulled the dents out best as I could and I still drive it that way, but will soon be able to fix it.

Anyway, this sort of thing is kind of a pattern with me. Either through error or bad luck or both, I buy a new motor vehicle and something bad happens to it almost immediately.

Probably still paying a karmic debt to the Fiat X1-9 I test drove in the early 80's. The salesman said "drive the hell out of it and see how it feels!" so that's exactly what I did. 15 minutes later I pulled in blowing steam out of the radiator, the brakes were smoking, tires half melted, and the clutch barely working.

The salesman just cheerfully said "whaddya think, can we make a deal today?" I said no, the engine overheats, the tires are no good, the brakes are kind of on fire, the clutch feels weird, and I don't like the color. That was the last model year that Fiat sold cars in the US until recently.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
kwsmithphoto wrote:
"Son, there's only two kinds of riders - the ones that have gone down, and the ones that are going to."

I know a dozen riders that would take umbrage. I know several here that have never dumped. Seems more an excuse than a reliable adage. Just my view YMMV
UTC

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I only like going down in the woods on my Husaberg.
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
kwsmithphoto wrote:

I know a dozen riders that would take umbrage. I know several here that have never dumped. Seems more an excuse than a reliable adage. Just my view YMMV
I believe you. Many extra-careful and/or lucky motorcycle riders can go without a spill for their entire riding career. Also, most of my experience is with dirt bikes and mountain bikes. If you're an avid mountain biker you are going to crash the thing in some way at some point.

Still, my dad was talking as a motorcycle racer so his perspective is also a bit different. And by "gone down" I wasn't just referring to crashes, I was thinking of simple mishaps, like dropping a bike or knocking one over when it's not even running. If that wasn't so common, there would be no market for crash guards and other products that protect a bike from losing balance...however it happens.

Personally, I have never met a single person who has never had at least a minor mishap with any moving vehicle, be it a sport bike or a golf cart.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
Glad it's OK for the most part!

Jade plants are forgiving, just shove it back in the ground and talk nice to it for a week.

Hope the ribs heal fast! Ego bruises go way deeper
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Too late, I had my wife stuff it into the trash yesterday. Why did I ask my wife? Because my ribs hurt so bad I couldn't do it myself. Seriously.

Later that day I tried to use the same excuse to get out of my turn washing the dishes. She didn't buy that excuse for a millisecond though.
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
ZW, hope you get off the meds soon! I applaud your frank assessment and positive attitude. Good luck with the sister-in-law request. You're right: nothing good can come of that.
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks. Ya, no meds. I was only at 1-2 per day anyway, don't need them anymore though. Bike goes in the shop at the end of the week and will get fixed while I'm out of the country next week.

Kevin
@cyberlizard avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 ET4 190cc

Addicted
@cyberlizard avatar
2001 ET4 190cc
UTC quote
Ouch! I've gone down once because I was stupid and decided to ride to get some food when I was having a hypoglycemic episode. Got dizzy, lost my balance, hit a curb and fell into the grass doing less than 5mph. Though my elbow went through the right mirror, smashing it. Lesson learned.
OP
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Yikes!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0265s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0104s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]