OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some input on a couple of scooters that I have my eye on acquiring. The first bike is an original 1962 GS 160 MK 1 with approximately 6000 miles - it is in excellent condition and is ridden on a regular basis. The second scooter is a 1963 restored GS 160 with about 6 miles on it. Both bikes have never been in Asia - only the USA or Italy. The restoration on the 1963 Vespa was performed by a well known mechanic in California. I know that the 1962 original is the more valuable of the two but I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest Vespa dealership is 350 plus miles away. I can't speak to their qualifications regarding vintage scooters...

Any input or thoughts that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Silly Man?...

sorry I don't know the proper info on those scoots (very nice, wish had either)
but I like your name..

One of our associates will be with you shortly... please hold.
(seriously though)
@unangst avatar
UTC

Hooked
'67 Vespa 150 Sprint, '56 Vespa 150 (project)

Hooked
@unangst avatar
'67 Vespa 150 Sprint, '56 Vespa 150 (project)
UTC quote
Always start here:
Things to Consider before Buying a Vintage Vespa

And post pics /links (if possible).
UTC

Hooked
'81 P200, '77 Bajaj Sprint, 4T Bajaj's (like 4 of them)

Hooked
'81 P200, '77 Bajaj Sprint, 4T Bajaj's (like 4 of them)
UTC quote
Not knowing the price of either one, or the condition, or the color, I'm not sure what you're asking. The MK1 has that little glovebox in the back, the MK2 does not. Both are great machines, neither are good for a daily rider, due to their value, you should treasure and display them as befits them. Are they each quite expensive, like at least $4000?

Neither of those GS160s is a "better model" as far as parts, reliability, or performance goes. The MK1 is worth more as they're rarer and the only Vespa with the cool little glovebox in back. With pictures or prices we would have more to comment on, like resto quality, or which one is the better deal.

What's the question?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Newbie needs help with purchase - 1962 GS 160
Unfortunately, I am having trouble posting pictures. The 1962 is white with a grey seat I believe. The 1963 is the same color with possible a black seat. As stated previously the 1963 has about 6 miles on it and the 1962 original around 6000 miles. They are both in immaculate shape - emphasis on immaculate. My intent was to ride them around our small Montana town whenever possible and not as a showpiece... My wife wants to get me a scooter as old as I am for my 50th birthday - hence the 1962. I am thinking the 1963 because since it is fully restored it is more likely to be a little more reliable????? Each bike is upwards of $ 7,000.
@gatekeep avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally USA 200 1980 P200e

Molto Verboso
@gatekeep avatar
1974 Rally USA 200 1980 P200e
UTC quote
Re: Newbie needs help with purchase - 1962 GS 160
silly man wrote:
Unfortunately, I am having trouble posting pictures. The 1962 is white with a grey seat I believe. The 1963 is the same color with possible a black seat. As stated previously the 1963 has about 6 miles on it and the 1962 original around 6000 miles. They are both in immaculate shape - emphasis on immaculate. My intent was to ride them around our small Montana town whenever possible and not as a showpiece... My wife wants to get me a scooter as old as I am for my 50th birthday - hence the 1962. I am thinking the 1963 because since it is fully restored it is more likely to be a little more reliable????? Each bike is upwards of $ 7,000.
For that money you should be looking for one at a reputable shop like Green tree or even Bar Itlia..Let peeps around here look at your pix.Ive seen way to many Scammers that would love that cake $$. Learn how to post pics its simple. and it could save you $7.IMO,You have the dough just wait until you find a gem they are out there if you look and ask around.Call Gene at Scooters Originali he has a lot of world wide connections..
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
They are good scooters, but 1) are so rare and valuable you feel bad wearing them out and getting the inevitable scratch on them, and 2) some parts are VERY hard and expensive to find.

I appreciate the sentiment of getting a scooter your age, but if you want a regular rider you might consider other models from that era. To be clear, this is not because other models from the era are more reliable. It's for practical reasons (parts availability, pricing, and being able to come to terms with "using the scooter up").

My 2 cents. They would be the most sporty ride from that era though.
@bar_italia_classics avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200, 1977 Rally 200, 1958 LD125 Mk III, 1965 S.S. 180 and on and on

Molto Verboso
@bar_italia_classics avatar
1974 Rally 200, 1977 Rally 200, 1958 LD125 Mk III, 1965 S.S. 180 and on and on
UTC quote
I'm always inclined to trust an original bike that is ridden regularly, over someone else's "restored" bike. You have to wonder why the bike only has six miles. I'm assuming that is mileage since the restoration. How long has it been sitting? Who knows how neglected the bike was and how poorly it was maintained before the "restoration". Depending on the "restorer" and the customer, corners may have been cut on the mechanical side, thinking that it was going to be a living-room bike forever.

As we've said before, whenever we see a "restored" bike for sale, we see it as an expensive project bike that we are going to have to re-restore. There is really just too much junk out there. We would always rather pick up a barn find to restore, as it will cost less and will most likely have more usable correct parts on it.

In your situation, there is nothing better in that price range (as far as GS160s go) than a nice original, unrestored, well maintained, ridden bike.

Our restored GS160s are a bit pricier than that, but If you want a concourse 1969 GTr or 1959 VBA, give us a call.
@littlebluedisaster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Footsie?

Molto Verboso
@littlebluedisaster avatar
Footsie?
UTC quote
Grover wrote:
. Both are great machines, neither are good for a daily rider, due to their value, you should treasure and display them as befits them.
My daily rider is a GS160 MK1. Its a great daily rider, and handles much better than any P200. I ride mine through the streets of L.A.

I would think a GS would be great for riding around a small town in Montana.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
If you've got that kind of cake to spend, def look at GreenTree, you could have had the sweetest Rally... they no doubt have other killers, or can build you a specimen that will be the "talk of the town" Nice gift.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
newbie needing help with purchase
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I have sent a few of you PM's for further clarification.

Thanks again.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0386s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0164s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]