@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
jlindh wrote:
How many failures would there have to be for the tilt lock to activate?
Not Steering and tilt lock failure are two different things. Most failure modes of the systems affecting tilt lock prevent it from activating. Can't imagine what would cause it to activate on its own and don't believe it was an issue in this event.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
UTC quote
Iron butt wrote:
first words out of his mouth was it would not steer !!
Almost sounds as if his rear axle locked - maybe bearing seized? Was teh rear wheel able to turn?
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Bike seemed to roll easily when put on the trailer, but of course something jamming the wheel could easily have fallen free when it went off the road.
UTC

Reflex

Reflex
UTC quote
We did not have to roll the bike since the wrecker lifted it onto the trailer so this is a "don't know" kind of thing. Ponydrvr insisted that he was not braking and the speed involved should not have needed anything more than a touch of the brakes. There was a 90 degree turn just previous to this longer turn and only about 150 feet in between so the speed was minimal at best. The soft and deep gravel shoulder would not allow recovery if even one wheel was off of the pavement for most situations.

I am very glad that pretty much all of our group always wears full protective gear and the police, fire and ambulance crews were all amazed that the injury was only the elbow (no abrasions, just swelling). The brand new Scorpion helmet really took some abuse.
@blackburg avatar
UTC

Burgman 400

@blackburg avatar
Burgman 400
UTC quote
Iron butt wrote:
Thank you Zinfan

I have heard some talk from Hollybry ,Ponydrvr and other's about MV but not owning a Vespa or a MP3 , would have felt odd just lurking till this came up .
What he said ... we're definitely a community, be it two wheels or three.
@blackburg avatar
UTC

Burgman 400

@blackburg avatar
Burgman 400
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
Iron butt wrote:
first words out of his mouth was it would not steer !!
Almost sounds as if his rear axle locked - maybe bearing seized? Was teh rear wheel able to turn?
The skid mark was about 8 feet, then it went away about 20 feet before where the bike left pavement ... so whatever caused it lock up apparently released after a very short time.
@georgiagirl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@georgiagirl avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Mechanical issue aside, it looks almost exactly like where Sticky had his off in the spring. When you have those 90s especially on a backroad that isn't banked it can be a tricky ride.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I was thinking the same thing GG. Very similar curve except mine was a left and I had a relatively soft yard to land in. I know that at the point I hit the paint and realized I was losing control I instinctively grabbed the rear brake to try to knock off speed before I left the road. I didn't leave a skid but someone behind me, in fact it may have been Ponydrvr, said they saw a puff of smoke come off my rear tire.
OP
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS

Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
UTC quote
I too was wondering about something getting lodged in the rear wheel to cause this, but that wouldn't have affected the steering part.
I just got word that he will have surgery on Wednesday at 2pm. He is hurting pretty bad today and didn't rest all night. I kind of figured that would be the case.
I bet that elbow is pounding today. Probably his neck, back, legs and everything else is hurting too....

Oh and welcome my fellow riding buds: jdbrot, blackburg, and ironbutt! You guys are more than welcome to chit chat on here! Glad to see ya!

And I love the overhead map of the area, blackburg. That helps to visualize it immensely!
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Poor Guy. Make sure he knows we are all thinking about him. I'd text him but I just checked and I don't have his number in my phone.
OP
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
UTC quote
I just spoke with him. He sounds well. Said only his elbow is hurting. I am surprised because his whole body took a pretty good beating I bet.
I told him there were a lot of people wishing him well and a speedy recovery!
It also seems this will put the kabosh on his attending the spring meeting as he will be laid up for 6-8 weeks...
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Yeah I was afraid of that but not surprised.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Thoughts and prayers to the rider...
Also have an interest on the Root Cause if this affected the rider while making the curve.
@mplkn avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400ie

Hooked
@mplkn avatar
2009 MP3 400ie
UTC quote
I'm trying to understand the handling dynamics at work here. I don't mean to add to or extend speculation in the absence of information, but I'm trying to understand the interactions between what's happening to the rear tire and what the driver will experience at the handlebars...

He reported having difficulty steering - can that be an outcome of the back end locking up or dragging?

The momentum is shifting as you hit the turn. The front wheels are trying to line up for the turn, and the rear wheel locks - was that the sequence we had here? If so, what happens to the momentum?

If I've got the sequence wrong or if this is just adding too much to what may already be speculative, then forgive me and I'll just stop - I'm not meaning to push the discussion any particular way here.

At the MSF Advanced Safety Course they say just that going straight, if you need to stop ASAP and the rear wheel locks up, at least you can still steer.

But what if it locks up in the midst of a turn? If your momentum has already shifted because of the turn, and then the rear wheel locks up, will the bike become difficult to steer? You're trying to get yourself around the turn. If the front wheels locked up, you'd high-side, right? So what happens if the rear wheel locks up?

Hope a handling guru might explain what's happening, if it's appropriate at this point in the thread...

Thanks all --
Michael
mplkn
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Based on what Ponydrvr said right after about not being able to steer and then looking at where the skid mark is (appears to be in the opposite lane from where he should have been if I am seeing it right) then it looks to me like the skid mark came after whatever malfunction caused the loss of control. And the skid was possibly an attempt to knock off speed.
UTC

Reflex

Reflex
UTC quote
The skid was on the straight, not in the curve. Ponydrvr said the rear end started to skid for no reason.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Oh and to try to answer your question mplkn. I believe if the rear wheel locks up and stay that way in a curve you are more than likely gonna low side.

But if it locks up then unlocks the front and rear will be out of line which will likely cause you to high side.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
jdbrot wrote:
The skid was on the straight, not in the curve. Ponydrvr said the rear end started to skid for no reason.
Then that would definitely be different then. Is the skid mark on the left or right side of the road in relation to the direction you were traveling?
UTC

Reflex

Reflex
UTC quote
Diagonal from the driving lane to the oncoming lane. Thanks God no traffic.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Yeah that would have been horrible.
@blackburg avatar
UTC

Burgman 400

@blackburg avatar
Burgman 400
UTC quote
jdbrot wrote:
... Thanks God no traffic.
We tend to do most of our riding on backroads sans traffic, for variety of reasons, that being one of them. We were at the scene about three hours and, aside from responders, there probably weren't more than 6 or 7 vehicles that came through.

BTW - When I spoke to him this afternoon I mentioned that, as he'd predicted yesterday, he was all over MV. He said he probably needed to log on but between lack of rest and the pain meds, he just can't keep his eyes focused very long ... but he'll be here 'fore long, you can book that!
@deedah avatar
UTC

2008 Burgman 400, 2010 Piaggio Fly 150

@deedah avatar
UTC quote
PonyDrvr
Hi All,

I am a lurker on here as well. I ride with Ralph as well and was the rider in front of him when he went down. I always pay attention to the person behind me when I ride and this day Ralph was riding sweep and much more gingerly than normal. My speed was between 20-25 (minus 10%) and I was leaning into the curve a decent bit, he was riding noticeably slower and back from me, or I would have likely seen him go down.

I always say a prayer before I leave on a ride and I did this day as well asking for safety and apologizing to god for being me. I like to think that helped in some tiny way keep him from being hurt worse.

I am the Fat bellied blue shirted guy in the pics from prior posts. I will post some of my pics and vid later or tomorrow from work as I figure out what is new covered media and not just duplicates. Here are a couple that seemed to be different perspective. They are MP4 sorry if you have trouble viewing.

[URL=http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa184/vci2000/Aaron_Scoot_Stuff/?action=view&current=From_Hill_IMG_6388.mp4]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

and

[URL=http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa184/vci2000/Aaron_Scoot_Stuff/?action=view&current=Top_of_Hill_IMG_6383.mp4]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

Deedah
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
hollybry wrote:
I just spoke with him. He sounds well. Said only his elbow is hurting. I am surprised because his whole body took a pretty good beating I bet.
I told him there were a lot of people wishing him well and a speedy recovery!
It also seems this will put the kabosh on his attending the spring meeting as he will be laid up for 6-8 weeks...
nah, when I talked to him he still has a room up there. I told him he could still drive the truck up with his wife and at least socialize with us at nite. There are alot of walking trails and other stuff up there as well. We will just have to wait and see though.
UTC

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
UTC quote
I believe that if you aren't ready for it, the brakes being applied during a turn will tend to stand the bike up from whatever lean angle it is at. Sounds like here though Pony was in the straight section of the road when the lockup occurred.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Talked to Ralph about an hour ago after sending him a text. (Thanks OAD) He called to find out who just texted him since I didn't say who I was. He is in a lot of pain. He said he is behind the pain curve with his meds. Hasn't slept much either.

We chatted about the crash and he is still baffled (though he is on pain meds so i imagine it is hard to process) about what happened. I know I am still trying to process my off.

He said the skid mark was when he was sideways and he was not on the brake. He said he was sliding sideways during most of it and doesn't remember much. He also said he was not pushing it and in fact, since he was sweeper, he was just relaxed and enjoying the ride.

So I am thinking that something happened on the rear (blows my other speculations out of the water) and he rode it down and off the road.

He also said his windscreen is not broken just the upper part came off. I told him to try to stop processing, get some rest and heal up fast.
@marcus_argentus avatar
UTC

Hooked
Marco Polo [MP3-400] + Syd [Suzuki V-Strom 650]

Hooked
@marcus_argentus avatar
Marco Polo [MP3-400] + Syd [Suzuki V-Strom 650]
UTC quote
Thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery

Kia Kaha
[Stay strong]

Mark
@kwsmithphoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTS 300

Hooked
@kwsmithphoto avatar
2011 GTS 300
UTC quote
Get well soon. I know how it feels. And don't beat yourself up over it, shit happens. You'll be back in the saddle soon, just get well.

And good on ya for the full face helmet!
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Being a nite owl I just now (3am Tuesday morning) came on line before going to bed. So sorry about your wreck, but so happy that it was not worse. Hope for a speedy recovery. Hope you make it to the spring gathering. Look forward to meeting you and the others. George
UTC

Reflex

Reflex
UTC quote
Just an FYI but Ponydrvr has ridden this section of road about 30 times so it was not unfamliar territory. Lets all be careful and watch out for each other because we love to ride and who we ride with so put on your gear and be thankful you are able to get up in the morning.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
YES, I'm alive! The pain meds coupled wit the lack of sleep have made it difficult to keep my focus on anything. Loosing the use of my right hand to type with temporarily is also a bummer.

I want to thank you one and all for you expressions of caring and concern. Those of you that have prayed for my well being be assured that your prayers are being felt by me and my family. The folks I ride with here in Louisville have been just great. I have always considered (LSG) to be my extended family. Not that proof was ever needed but they have proven beyond any rational measure

I have been trying to put some thought into dissecting this accident. Still Don't know how clear it is in total. The first thing I know is that speed was definitely not a causal factor. I was in real close proximity to 22 mph. This turn is easily ridden at 30+ mph by me and many of those with me. Next, I recall the rear wheel locking up an throwing the rear out as in a low side take down. I suspect the skid mark on the roadway is the tire sliding sideways. I remember the crunchies in my elbow as I hit the road and then again in my landing spot. I do not recall using any brake at any time, not saying I didn't just don't remember doing so.

It's a little difficult to type left handed. I have surgery scheduled for tomorrow @ 2:30 pm. The surgeon will make the call if I stay overnight or get to go home. BTW, still haven't uncovered the MP3 to assess the damage. Maybe next week?

Stay in touch and I'll try to do the same.
@kevink avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 (no - longer); 2008 Victory Vision (gone), 2012 Goldwing (gone), 2019 Wee-Strom (gone), 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Addicted
@kevink avatar
MP3 500 (no - longer); 2008 Victory Vision (gone), 2012 Goldwing (gone), 2019 Wee-Strom (gone), 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
UTC quote
Great to hear from you. Keep the spirits up! I'll be watching the forum to see how the surgery went. Will keep praying.
@welcha avatar
UTC

Hooked
'Sophia' - Demon Black MP3 500

Hooked
@welcha avatar
'Sophia' - Demon Black MP3 500
UTC quote
Just saw the thread. Put protective gear in a refreshed perspective...time to replace my pants - armored, that is...

My prayers for a speedy recovery for you, ponydrvr. Hope to still meet you at Spring Gathering.

Alan
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Good to see your post ponydrvr, and words on the incident. All best wishes for a speedy recovery!
OP
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
UTC quote
Elbow crunchies---makes my tummy turn. I definately could not be handling it that well. I would have had to be unconcious all this time to make it through....
Good to hear from you Pnydrvr. Let me know when you are ready to take that tarp off and i will come over to lend you my right arm!!
@deedah avatar
UTC

@deedah avatar
UTC quote
Here are a few more pics I took. Sorry for lateness. I have several others but I think in the interest of no repetitiveness I will make this the last post of pics for me.

I'll throw all the stuff on DVD and get it too you Ralph, next time I see you.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
UTC quote
Congratulations Ponydrvr. Not counting racing footage; you have the most well documented off I have ever seen.

Between the overhead shot, pictures, and videos we get a better idea of the circumstances than is usually the case in these unfortunate situations.

It looks like a lovely ride; right up until it wasn't.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Glad to see you post Ponydrvr. Good luck tomorrow. Maybe it will relieve some of your pain.
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
Just wondering, does anybody have any idea of a particular mechanical malfunction that could/would cause the rear wheel to lock up? Belt? Sliders?
Something that could break off and jam the wheel? Or jam the rear brake cable/system/caliper?

Ralph, you'll be on the prayer list tomorrow.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
YaYaDave wrote:
Just wondering, does anybody have any idea of a particular mechanical malfunction that could/would cause the rear wheel to lock up? Belt? Sliders?
Something that could break off and jam the wheel? Or jam the rear brake cable/system/caliper?

Ralph, you'll be on the prayer list tomorrow.
nothing comes to mind. ponydrvr will give the scoot a good twice or 3 times over for sure.

Might not be anything mechanically to cause this either. There is no way of truly knowing unless someone following and videoing when it happened.
@mplkn avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400ie

Hooked
@mplkn avatar
2009 MP3 400ie
UTC quote
Really good to see your post, ponydrvr!
Prayers and Best wishes,
Michael
mplkn
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0361s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0209s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]