OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespaless

Hooked
Vespaless
UTC quote
In a couple of weeks I have 4 days I can get away and ride. I've done the WNC area quite a few times, the Dragon, Cherahola and lots of roads in those areas so would like to see somewhere else.

I know quite a few of you are from the states near to me and have ridden/know good places to ride near you.

Can y'all suggest some places that would be good to check out? This could rides and/or sites to see. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

David in Raleigh/Durham NC area
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: Riding places in GA, SC or TN?
JerseyBiker wrote:
In a couple of weeks I have 4 days I can get away and ride. I've done the WNC area quite a few times, the Dragon, Cherahola and lots of roads in those areas so would like to see somewhere else.

I know quite a few of you are from the states near to me and have ridden/know good places to ride near you.

Can y'all suggest some places that would be good to check out? This could rides and/or sites to see. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

David in Raleigh/Durham NC area
you need to order a set of the 9 mpas from america ride maps http://americaridesmaps.com/ Wayne has travel all over these hills and has put together a great set of maps. Well worth the money.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
I used to really enjoy riding around the Outer Banks. Ocracoke to Nags Head used to be a beautiful ride. I did this more in the early 80's. It might be too crowded now to really enjoy it. But in April the crowds may not have arrived yet. Not sure how the weather will be in April.

-Craig
@georgiagirl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@georgiagirl avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
North GA - 17 down to Helen, Blood Mountain, the road over through Suches that I've forgotten the name of - there are some lovely roads in North GA. I've seen a lot of sport bike riders going up and down Fort Mountain the last couple of years as well. Fuzzy knows more of them than I do, especially by name and number. I'm the person who says, "well, you go out of Dahlonega by the Walmart and turn at the neat looking barn . . . " Not so helpful in terms of giving directions.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespaless

Hooked
Vespaless
UTC quote
Thanks for the ideas.

GeorgiaGirl as well as someone on another forum mentioned the Blood Mountain area. After doing some research, that looks like a great place to head and start out. I'll see where I go from there.

Thanks all for the info!
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
JerseyBiker wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.

GeorgiaGirl as well as someone on another forum mentioned the Blood Mountain area. After doing some research, that looks like a great place to head and start out. I'll see where I go from there.

Thanks all for the info!
US 129 (same road as Dragon but a ways south) past Blood Mountain is a great ride, I like it best traveling north. Others in the area include Wolf Pen Gap (180 from 129 to Suches), 348 - Richard Russell Scenic Highway, 60 from 19 through Suches and further north. Lots of good riding. Wolf Pen Gap is very technical and sometimes called the Georgia Dragon. We did these rides as part of last years gathering in Telico Plains. That thread has some comments and pictures.

The map that OAD mentioned is a great guide. Just saw it and it has a few roads highlighted I will have to try on my next visit. Give a shout when in the area and maybe one or more of us can join you for some riding.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
North GA - 17 down to Helen, Blood Mountain, the road over through Suches that I've forgotten the name of - there are some lovely roads in North GA. I've seen a lot of sport bike riders going up and down Fort Mountain the last couple of years as well. Fuzzy knows more of them than I do, especially by name and number. I'm the person who says, "well, you go out of Dahlonega by the Walmart and turn at the neat looking barn . . . " Not so helpful in terms of giving directions.
The Group from "G.A.S.S." did this route this past weekend.
Took a break at Vogel State park and took in the Falls.
It was an great ride from Atlanta, then pit stop at Riders Hill in Dahlonega.
Oh... You must stop at Smith House to eat...

Keith
@georgiagirl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@georgiagirl avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
My daughter is going to school in Dahlonega in August. We like Shenanigans Irish Pub as well. My dad likes a BBQ joint over in Blairsville really well, so we go there a good bit as well.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
upstate
of south cackalacky is really fun. cowpens area and a little north of there. lots of twisty roads/ terrain...wish i had a scooter when i lived there right after katrina.
the roads to asheville are pretty nice too, getting into the mountains.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
the gaunlet http://gauntletga.com/
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespaless

Hooked
Vespaless
UTC quote
Great stuff! Thanks guys - I knew you'd have lots of excellent ideas for me.

I'll give a shout when it gets closer and I have a better idea of where I'll be.

Ride safe!!
UTC

Hooked
Whats next?

Hooked
Whats next?
UTC quote
JerseyBiker!

You really thinking about a 300?

J
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespaless

Hooked
Vespaless
UTC quote
Jimz! wrote:
JerseyBiker!

You really thinking about a 300?

J
Yup. I have to sell some bikes first but I would like to pick up a 300 as soon as I can.
UTC

Hooked
Whats next?

Hooked
Whats next?
UTC quote
Well I'll admit, if I had bought a Dragon Red or the White 300 Super I'd probably still have it. I just didn't think I really cared for the black. It's been a year since I sold the GTS and I'm still hanging around on the forum if that tells you anything.

J

PS Good Luck on selling your other rides!
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Here's a website for riding raods as well. Just sort for the area you are interested in. When you select a particular state from the drop down and click view, a map wil;l open up and you can zoom in/slide in any direction and select specific highlighted routes. It sometimes is a bit slow, but a very cool tool.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/United-States_128.html
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0088s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]