UTC

Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie Super, 2006 LX 50 (sold)

Hooked
@calvin avatar
UTC quote
Hi All,

New guy here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Calvin. I've lurked on and off since I bought my LX 50 last June, and now I would like to pose a question to the experts.

I am looking at two scooters, both of which are 2009 GTS 250s. Scooter 1 is used with less than 200 miles. It is black with black wheels and there is white piping on the seat. It has a red front shock and an emblem on the back that says "Super."

Scooter 2 has standard silver wheels and I do not believe it has the "Super" emblem, or piping on the seat. This scooter is "new" at a dealership and I hope to go look at it this week. All I have seen is the stock photo on their website, which is why I'm not 100% sure of the finer details.

My question is, what are the key differences between a standard and a "Super" GTS 250? Are they just cosmetic as mentioned above? Is there anything that makes one more valuable than the other? Anything else I should know when deciding between the two, or about a 2009 GTS 250 in general?

Many thanks in advance.
@silversmuge avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS300, BMW C650

Hooked
@silversmuge avatar
Vespa GTS300, BMW C650
UTC quote
The differences between the two models: Super and regular GTS300 are mostly superficial. Same deal with the GTS250's as long as both are fuel injected. Should say GTS250ie. Older GTS250's are not fuel injected and don't have the ie. Super has red front shocks, no rear rack and the piping on the seat and costs $200 more in the US. Both have the same preformance and everything else that matters. The Super is suppose to look faster. I'm sure my red shocks make me go 0.001 mph faster Razz emoticon. Pick the one you like best or has the best price.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I believe that there was much discussion about this in the past. If I recall, the GTS 250 Super was a mis-badged 250. There were some dealers who removed the Super emblem. The Super was supposed to be reserved for the 300. but some 250's slipped out the door with the incorrect badging. At least, that is what I recall. If I'm wrong, I'm sure the story will come out.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Silversmuge wrote:
Older GTS250's are not fuel injected and don't have the ie.
Not true. The GTS has always been fuel injected, and always had the "i.e." behind it. The GT before it was not fuel injected.
@arno1 avatar
UTC

Oberlehrerhaft
GTS 250 w/ 43,000 mi

Oberlehrerhaft
@arno1 avatar
GTS 250 w/ 43,000 mi
UTC quote
Hi Calvin,
Welcome to MV.

You are looking at two very nice models of which you might prefer one over the other for several reasons. Looks is one of them, seating comfort another, and you might find more reasons.

About seating comfort, I can say that when I sat on the Super's piped seat, it hurt my butt. I could feel the piping and it was cutting into me. Okay, I am on the skinny end of things, so this might not be an issue for a lot of other folks, but just be aware of it.

Other than that, there should not be much difference in "newness" between a zero and a 200 mile scooter. Get the one you like best.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I've heard it said that there are fast GTS' and slow GTS'. I think mine on the slow side relative to a 250 the local shop loans out during maintenance. If u can find someone local that is intimately familiar with the 250, see if u can get them to test ride both and give an opinion.

Best
Miguel
@tolivercrash avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS300 Super

Enthusiast
@tolivercrash avatar
2012 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Fuel pump. Get the VIN checked and have the dealer replace the pump if necessary or verify its been previously done before leaving the parking lot. It is not fun pushing your new scooter the last few blocks home when the fuel pump takes a crap. Guess how I know.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Ride both of them. If the "Super" has the right shocks the ride will be firmer and IMHO more sports car like. The standard 250ie is a lttle soft.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
14perry wrote:
Ride both of them. If the "Super" has the right shocks the ride will be firmer and IMHO more sports car like. The standard 250ie is a lttle soft.
14, what's the right shock?

Best
Miguel
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
I don't think you can make a logical choice between them as they're pretty much the same. Either go for the cheaper one or the one you like the look of most.
@ravenlore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"

Molto Verboso
@ravenlore avatar
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
UTC quote
The Super also has vents in the right-hand cowl. For some reason this turns me completely off-that's the only reason when given the choice I went with "plain" GTS 250 rather than the Super.
UTC

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 170i

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 170i
UTC quote
300 Super venting .....
ravenlore wrote:
The Super also has vents in the right-hand cowl. For some reason this turns me completely off-that's the only reason when given the choice I went with "plain" GTS 250 rather than the Super.
When I did my homework on the purchase of my 2012 300 Super I ran across this from Matthew Miles of CycleWorld "Further differentiating the two models from each other is a vent in the right-side engine cover, homage to early air-cooled models.". Might provide additional cooling? Somewhat nostalgic? I've been thinking about putting on some racing numbers and these vents would get in the way of that.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super

Hooked
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Arno1 wrote:
About seating comfort, I can say that when I sat on the Super's piped seat, it hurt my butt. I could feel the piping and it was cutting into me. Okay, I am on the skinny end of things, so this might not be an issue for a lot of other folks, but just be aware of it.
Welcome to the forum. As Arno1 states, there is a difference in the seats between the Super and non-Super 300 GTS models, and I assume the same difference applies to the earlier 250 Super/non-Super models. (My understanding is that in the U.S., the 250 Super was only available for one year (2009) and that essentially it's the precursor to the current 300 GTS/Super models, but I could be wrong about that.)

The Super seat is "firmer" and more substantive than the non-Super seat, and the Super seat comes with white piping, while the non-Super doesn't. As Arno1 points out above, if you're on the skinnier side, the firmness and piping may be an issue. I'm a little bigger (6'0, 200 plus), and I much prefer the firmer seat on the Super.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
tolivercrash wrote:
Fuel pump. Get the VIN checked and have the dealer replace the pump if necessary or verify its been previously done before leaving the parking lot. It is not fun pushing your new scooter the last few blocks home when the fuel pump takes a crap. Guess how I know.
Probably the best advice so far. Search around here for the identifying marks on the pump. I think the 'good' ones have blue dots on them.

Check near the end of this thread:
GTS Fuel Pump Failure
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
The fuel pump requires pulling the tank. Hard to look at for blue marks.
OP
@calvin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@calvin avatar
UTC quote
Thanks everyone for your input.

-Calvin
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
get the 09 250 - it should have the digital dash which is way cooler than some silly slots in the side !!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0167s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0060s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]