@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
the rear brake switch is not working...light doesn't come on, nor can i start up by pulling that brake lever. right one works just fine.
any chance of a repair?
i know they aren't that expensive and i'm sourcing one. i could switch the right one that's is working, seeing as i rear wheel brake primarily before apply the front brake.
@charlesm avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)

Molto Verboso
@charlesm avatar
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)
UTC quote
You might be able to spray some switch cleaner in it - best to take the front headlight cover off and have a go. It is easy to access then.

Just make sure use both brakes when braking (which you should do anyway, just with a little more pressure on the front brake unless it is wet).

Charles.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC

Hooked
GT 200, Faro Basso, Cosa, VS5

Hooked
GT 200, Faro Basso, Cosa, VS5
UTC quote
Check your fuse
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
It's worth checking the fuse but if one of the levers operates the light then I think the fuse is OK. Try pulling the plug off the suspect switch and shorting across the two wires. If that works the light it is difinitave. You may be able to disassemble the switch and clean it.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
eric marin wrote:
Check your fuse
Rubbish. If the other switch works, it can't be a fuse.

richardsan - The switch probably just needs a clean. They can be taken apart with care.

I'm not too happy to hear of your braking technique - it seems far too many scooter riders use the back brake far too much.
http://scootsafely.com/?p=313
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
UTC quote
Try and review the pics embedded in this post. I had added this to the post and for some reason the written narrative is no longer showing up. Regardless, I beleive you'll be able to ascertain what needs to be done to clean out the switch.

brake light won't shine/engine won't start

Hope this helps!
OP
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
thanks wayne...that thread was one i found to help me suss out the problem.

jim, i'm sure i could use additional riding lessons... i think what i meant, is that's how i brake in stop and go riding...short, straight ways between stop signs and lights and slow speeds...
when on the highway, in-between lights i use both to stop. and both when weather dictates, and on turns and curves.
i've seen plenty of raw meat, and i try and not let the thought of it distract me whilst riding...
my couple of near mishaps were on irregular surfaces[gravel/sand] and not noticing a car in my left blind spot when i almost made a lane change. i haven't been down on the ground ...yet...experiencing them, and resolving what happened, is [my] key to learning to ride safer and better. i push it a little for the experience, like riding in rain and like that sand storm we had last week. ya can't be prepared/ learn how by not doing.
haven't had any stitches since 1984 and i still have all my digits...
OP
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
got to the bad switch, swapped it out with a new one and all is good to go. i tried squirting a little electric cleaner in there...didn't help. i may take it apart, and check what made it not work, fix it if i can for a spare.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
When you do prise it apart, you can heat up the outer casing to get the (now distorted) plastic back into shape. I bet you'll find black gunge around the central contact. Clean that off, smear with silicon grease, re-assemble and you'll have the inevitably required spare.
OP
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
When you do prise it apart, you can heat up the outer casing to get the (now distorted) plastic back into shape. I bet you'll find black gunge around the central contact. Clean that off, smear with silicon grease, re-assemble and you'll have the inevitably required spare.
there were subtle differences between what was there and what i replaced it with. plunger was a diff. colour. and maybe the thread was a little larger. it looks like the old one just snaps in to itself. tabs in holes kinda thing. i prob. have something on my jewellers bench i can use to separate it with.

before i put my windscreen back on, i rode to see what that was like...i didn't like it one bit. and i can see getting a taller screen in future.

i also checked the nut holding the speedo cable, it is still secure[it came loose, last year]
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I am confused. Are we talking about the switch or the plunger piece inside the handle bar covers?

Edit: If it is the plunger piece don't pull it off because it will break. Screw it off instead. I learned from experience and JimC's wisdom.
OP
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
its the tiny plunger on the switch. the oem is red and the replacement is white.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0149s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0084s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]