OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Hi All - My fairly tatty but very reliably 2001 ET4 125 has been attached by the most useless thief out there. Someone seems to have simply stuck something into the ignition key slot and pulled out the barrel. I've opened up the horn cover and unclipped the ignition switch and it looks undamaged. The steering lock still seems to work too if I rotate it with a pair of pliers and nothing else seems to be bent.

So other than being utterly miserable and getting the bus and tube to work, it looks like the only damage is that they have pulled out the key barrel. Is this an easy fix? Any idea how I disassemble the key barrel? Do I come at it from the key side or the horn cover? Any idea on fixings? Will I have to do any retuning? Any views on if I will have any other problems? I don't think I've got an immobilizer - or at least the blinking red light no longer blinks, but hopefully I wont have to worry about this.

Any tips / photos very much appreciated before this costs me some unnecessary £.

Thanks in advance - Banners
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
This should be a simple lockset replacement - with the added caveat of swapping RFID chips between the old brown key and the new one, and then programming the immobiliser to the new blue key.

The lock barrel has a clip near the front that has to be removed to extract the barrel. This is only accessible when the barrel is in an 'unlocked' position. You'll have to remove the glove-box etc to get to it.
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Thanks Jim - I dont have the original blue key, only the larger brown one. Is there a chip in that one too? Any tips on programming the immobilier will be much appreciated.

Thanks
UTC

Hooked
ET4 (several)

Hooked
ET4 (several)
UTC quote
Whereabouts in London are you?

I'm on the West side, and I'm just rehabilitating a stolen/recovered ET4 where the locks had been abused, so I've managed to learn how it all goes together...

You will need a new set of lock barrels, of course, but there might be ways to get around key reprogramming.

Bob
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Hi Bob - This sounds promising. I'm in Ladbrook Grove. What you thinking on the key reprogramming?
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
I know the policy on the forum has recently changed but, just for me, if there is a way of getting round the programming would you mind not broadcasting it and instead just keep it in a PM between you. Cheers.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
There's no need to 'get around' any programming provided the OP has the original brown key. Without that a new CDI will be necessary as well, whether Malossi (no immobiliser) or Piaggio (with immobiliser). I really do recommend the latter - no re-wiring necessary.
UTC

Hooked
ET4 (several)

Hooked
ET4 (several)
UTC quote
mike_bike_kite wrote:
I know the policy on the forum has recently changed but, just for me, if there is a way of getting round the programming would you mind not broadcasting it and instead just keep it in a PM between you. Cheers.
This is exactly why I wasn't very specific!

If Banners would like to drop me a pm we can discuss it off line...

Bob
UTC

S50

S50
UTC quote
i think that is a reasonable request to be honest.
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Thanks Mike -- Good news is that I've found the brown key. Spoke to Chelsea Scooters on Wandsworth Bridge Road, who have done my MOTs, tyres etc for the past few years - seem like good guys - He told me that I should be able to have a go at it myself. Told me to take the lock out of the seat and put it in the ignition, and then to buy a cheap lock for the seat. Seems like a good idea and I always like to hear a mechanic talking themselves out of business. That sound like it will work (good idea?).

He said that if I don't fancy they, I can try and turn the ignition with a screwdriver while holding the key in the gap, then ride it over to them... though the cost to fix it will be about £100.

Looks like I will be having a go on Saturday given that the suspention on the other bike is taking a little longer to come back from the dealer.
Thanks for any advice
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Sorry - Thanks BOB.

Reading too fast.
UTC

Hooked
ET4 (several)

Hooked
ET4 (several)
UTC quote
Banners wrote:
Sorry - Thanks BOB.

Reading too fast.
That's OK - but if you want any moral support, or help with it (or even a ready supply of spare parts on hand) you're welcome to come over to me in Greenford (you can certainly get it started using the info from the bike mechanic, but you may need to tape the brown key close to (or into) the key hole to overcome the immobiliser...

(Using the seat lock was going to be one of my suggestions...)

I'm in Greenford, by the way, not far from the Hoover building on the A40.

Bob
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Following the advice from the nice man at Chelsea Scooters, I've taken the lock out of the seat and installed it into the ignition cylinder... clearly I've not done this properly. Everything 'seemed' to go back together properly, but the barrel just spins without engaging the ignition. I can turn the key all the way around. If I push the mechanism all the way in, I can hear the ignition turning (I think), and I can get it to engage in the on and off positions, but then not turn back into the lock position. Also, then in the on position, the bike is still dead as a dodo. I can't get anything from the indicators to indicate there is any power in the circuits and I've not got enough hands to hold the switch on, grip the break, and hit the start button.

Any advice before I take it off the to mechanic?
Thanks in advance
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Another update... I've managed to reassemble it properly... I think. The clip inside the steering lock was a little mangled and must have been stopping the lock properly engaging. It now seems to be engaging on, off, and lock - the ignition switch gives some movement when the key is turned and there's a healthy sounding click.

But... The bike is still completely dead. There doesn't look to be any other damage. No loose wires, no nasty screwdriver marks. But it's completely dead. No gauges or lights work when the ignition is on and nothing at all from the starter.

I will give the battery a charge overnight, but does anyone have any other ideas. Other posts saying that the immobiliser cuts the spark not the starter, so with no starter it might not be the immobiliser.

Any other thoughts from anyone warmly welcomed.
Many thanks
OP
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
ET4 1 : Chavs 0 (well 1:1 at the very least)
Haha! ET4 1 : Chavs 0 (well 1:1 at the very least).

After a full recharge for the battery, I seem to be back on the road. All I need now is a lock for the seat and I'm (almost) good as new and only a few quid poorer rather than being the wrong side of at least a hundred.

Thanks to all for their advice on this.

Best - Banners
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
Result!
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Glad you got a fix. London riders seem to get a hard time of it with attempted thefts and damage

A few of us posted on this thread about deterents etc - you might want to have a read so there's no next time
Vespa attempted theft, vandalism achieved can you help?
UTC

S50

S50
UTC quote
anyone got cheap tip for security?
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
ET4 125

Lurker
ET4 125
UTC quote
A big dog!
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@blomdahl avatar
UTC

ET4 150

@blomdahl avatar
ET4 150
UTC quote
Banners: Did your ignition lock look something like this? I´m hoping to do what you did to fix mine after attempted theft last week..
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 9 years elapsed    ⬇️
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Vespa LXV 125

@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
UTC quote
Interested to know if theres a guide to fixing this myself. Decided to replace the Ignition barrel with a sparkly new one, now cant get it to go back together and work at all...
Before stating the obvious, I will of course use the Search function to see if there is already a guide
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Banners wrote:
Good news is that I've found the brown key. Spoke to Chelsea Scooters on Wandsworth Bridge Road.... Told me to take the lock out of the seat and put it in the ignition, and then to buy a cheap lock for the seat. Seems like a good idea and I always like to hear a mechanic talking themselves out of business. That sound like it will work (good idea?).

I gotta say, that sounds like a really good idea. I've never heard it before.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0202s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0122s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]