OP
@zhisheng avatar
UTC

2010 LX150ie

@zhisheng avatar
2010 LX150ie
UTC quote
Hi all,

I've read up alot regarding these sliders over here and was hoping to clear up some confusion and get some answers.

Im currently riding a LX150ie with everything stock on the inside. As i need to change my belt pretty soon (over 11,000km already), i though why not upgrade to dr pulley sliders as well. From the wiki i found out that the LX150ie rollers are 19mm x 17mm and 10g. So from many reviews im supposed to go down to the next available weight sliders which is 9.5g, or down 10% to 9g.

I went down to my local distributor (who is also a scooter mechanic) over the past weekend to get more information regarding the weights and pricing but to my surprise, he insist i change the stock rollers to 11g sliders. He said with the 11g sliders i would definitely feel better acceleration and a very 'smooth' ride. He went on saying with the lighter sliders (9.5g and 9g), the acceleration will be 'jerky/snappy' and result in an uncomfortable ride.

Is what he said any true?

Personally im very happy with the 100km/h top speed my LX has and im looking for better acceleration. Any increase to top speed would of cause be a bonus but not essential. I weight 65kg and half of the time i pillion my girlfriend of 50kg. I usually cruise between 80-90km/h.

So any help guys? Which weight should i really use? Any comments would be much appreciated
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
My understanding of the Dr. Pulley sliders (love mine btw) is that the lighter you go the better low end take off but you lose some top end. They are also way smoother during acceleration than the stock rollers.

Make sure the are installed correctly.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Here is a pretty good discussion on the subject. Everything you ever heard about Dr. Pulley sliders is true
OP
@zhisheng avatar
UTC

2010 LX150ie

@zhisheng avatar
2010 LX150ie
UTC quote
Thanks stickyfrog,

Quote:
My understanding of the Dr. Pulley sliders (love mine btw) is that the lighter you go the better low end take off but you lose some top end.
Thats my understanding too after reading up here. Therefore my confusion when my local mechanic/distributor told me otherwise.
Quote:
Here is a pretty good discussion on the subject. Everything you ever heard about Dr. Pulley sliders is true
I probably read that thread over like 3 times already. Haha
@araw avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 ET4 190 +hotcam, Scorp Exhaust, Stereo. SPEED HOLES!

Hooked
@araw avatar
UTC quote
Also, lower weights make the bike a little revvyer, and the power band for pro-exhausts is a little higher than stock on the rpm side, so lower will give you overall more power with the exhaust...however, top end wont change much or maybe, be a little lower, depending on weights.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
I have done it all...
My conclusion to not complicate thing is to put what Piaggio/Vespa recommends. You can go crazy with third party engine mods, and the cost vs benefit is minimal.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
The Dr Pulley sliders aren't a huge 'mod' - they are an upgrade mainly for smoothness, better acceleration, and greater longevity.

I'd go for the 9.5g sliders - ignore your mechanic.
@araw avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@araw avatar
UTC quote
+1 on the 9.5g. Thats what I have with everything(for now) stock. Its great.
@davidh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250 & 2013 BMW C650 GT

Hooked
@davidh avatar
2009 Piaggio BV250 & 2013 BMW C650 GT
UTC quote
Follow-up question:

It appears the BV250 and GTS 250 use the same number/size/weight rollers. True/false?

I'll be replacing my belt soon and am thinking about going to sliders. According the Dr. Pulley's site, I should be using 9.5 or 10g rollers to have about the same performance as the stock rollers. I've seen a couple other posts about going to 1n 11g gram slider but that seems a bit heavy. Thoughts?

I don't want to change the low-end/top-end performance. Just looking for something quieter and longer-lasting.
@dibber avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie Super

Hooked
@dibber avatar
GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
I currently ride a Buddy 125 and put the stock weight sliders in my scooter. Accelleration is smoother, but I don't think it is any faster then before. Checked them several thousand miles later and they look much better than what my rollers looked like. I will use them again.
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
What weight for my 2007 GTS?
Is there an online shop I can get these?
Thanks!
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Not sure what size you need Drew but when you figure it out you can order them from these guys. I've had good luck with them. http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=29

Don't forget the variator slide pieces.
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Not sure what size you need Drew but when you figure it out you can order them from these guys. I've had good luck with them. http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=29

Don't forget the variator slide pieces.
K thanks!

Anyone know what weight is favored for a GTS?
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
DougL recommended 12g for the 250. I have them sitting at home waiting to be installed...
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Thanks!
UTC

Hooked
LX 125 i.e

Hooked
LX 125 i.e
UTC quote
this thread is what I'm looking for.

So how about the LX 125 i.e ? which weight of sliders is the best for LX 125i.e ??

and one more question: is it Okay with all stock parts with only changing the slider roller
thank you !
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
robocopvn wrote:

So how about the LX 125 i.e ? which weight of sliders is the best for LX 125i.e ??

and one more question: is it Okay with all stock parts with only changing the slider roller
thank you !
Yes but since you are going to be in there you might want to replace the variator sliders also as they do wear also. http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=53

And you may want to wait 'till you have to do a belt change to do everything at once. Hopefully someone will chime in with a weight for your LX.
UTC

Hooked
LX 125 i.e

Hooked
LX 125 i.e
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
robocopvn wrote:

thank you !
Yes but since you are going to be in there you might want to replace the variator sliders also as they do wear also. http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=53

And you may want to wait 'till you have to do a belt change to do everything at once. Hopefully someone will chime in with a weight for your LX.
At first, thank you very much

Luckily, my 125ie LX ran 9600km. So when is the good time to change the belt? I'm pretty bad at mechanics so everything I'll do is ask for a shop to do everything for me. But in Vietnam they are not so ethical, thats why I want to ask here first. So in conclusion, what I need to change is: the belt, the roller, and the variator sliders, 3 at the same time, nothing more? Because I know he will ask me to change as many things as he can convince me and it costs alot.

Waiting for your help
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
I checked with Buggy Parts they say 11 grams but the side pieces will not be available until May sometime.
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
I would go with original Piaggio "side pieces". I read somewhere on here that that DrPulley ones do not fit quite correctly... Someone will sure correct me if I am wrong!
@afishynado avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
@afishynado avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
Make sure you get them from a reputable or licensed dealer. I recall some older threads about counterfeit ones being sold on ebay.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Yeah there are counterfeit Dr. Pulleys out there. And yeah I have heard that some of the Dr. Pulley variator sliders (side pieces) can be sticky.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
robocopvn wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
robocopvn wrote:

thank you !

At first, thank you very much

Luckily, my 125ie LX ran 9600km. So when is the good time to change the belt? I'm pretty bad at mechanics so everything I'll do is ask for a shop to do everything for me. But in Vietnam they are not so ethical, thats why I want to ask here first. So in conclusion, what I need to change is: the belt, the roller, and the variator sliders, 3 at the same time, nothing more? Because I know he will ask me to change as many things as he can convince me and it costs alot.

Waiting for your help
Not sure about belt change intervals on the lx but the information should be in your manual. And yes first belt change is a good time to do all three.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Trivial Pursuits
What Dr. Pulley are calling "slide pieces" (the three guides that the variator backing plate slides back and forth on) are called "patinos".
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 1 time
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Thanks jess I knew they had a name but couldn't remember.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
UTC quote
The balance between rollers/sliders, belt, variator, rear tire, et al is delicate and ephermeral. Max6200 bought sliders that were to the best of his memory 11.9 grams. He special ordered them from Europe. His results were disappointing. The motor was constantly overreving and bouncing off the rev limiter. He gave them to me. I have the exact same setup including the same rear tire and my results were dramatically different. I now regurlarly hit 90 mph indicated and have yet to hit the rev limiter with them. My previouse top speed was 84 indicated, rev limited. There may be some power loss at low speed but I haven't noticed it. I couldn't be happier.
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
Matthew, I have a feeling that Max did something wrong when he put it together. Anything else does not make much sense...
UTC

MV Santa

MV Santa
UTC quote
That's possible. We considered it but I saw him remove them and I installed them the same way, like in the earlier picture.
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
So weird!!!
UTC

Hooked
LX 125 i.e

Hooked
LX 125 i.e
UTC quote
and sorry, what kind of roller should I use for my Lx 125 i.e ? I mean how many grams for each roller ? because there are many different types
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
That's possible. We considered it but I saw him remove them and I installed them the same way, like in the earlier picture.
the vari itself could be the culprit in not letting the sliders slide properly. the corners could have excess material in them hanging up the sliders.
OP
@zhisheng avatar
UTC

2010 LX150ie

@zhisheng avatar
2010 LX150ie
UTC quote
Hey robocopvn,

Did a search on the wiki and your LX125 should be using 19mm x 17mm and 8.7g stock rollers. You should be using the same dimensions for the sliders but as for what weights to use you'll have to wait for others to reply.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
zhisheng wrote:
Hey robocopvn,

Did a search on the wiki and your LX125 should be using 19mm x 17mm and 8.7g stock rollers. You should be using the same dimensions for the sliders but as for what weights to use you'll have to wait for others to reply.
Going to the next lighter weight on the sliders is what Dr. Pulley recommends for an otherwise stock bike.
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Got on the Dr. Pulley site. Was going to go with 11 or 12 grams but they say use 10 grams. Surprised my mechanic who has seen everything.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Unless I'm mistaken the consensus over the years has been 12g. Hopefully I'm correct cuz it's what I bought.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I'm running 9.5gm right now. In a previous iteration of my CB bike, I needed something lighter than that. At the moment, 9.5gm might be too light, and I'm looking at using 10gm for the beginning of Cannonball.

My bike isn't really "normal", though.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
My bike isn't really "normal", though.
That'd be no fun! For you nor we the vicarious followers of Jess and Patrick adventures.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
If I'm not mistaken, the question on the table is what slider weight is appropriate for an LX125 (from robocpvn).

I was just on the Dr. Pulley (Union Materials) site, and they didn't specifically show the LX125. Looks to me, though, like 8.7g would be most appropriate, based on similar models and the standard weight for the LX125:

http://www.unionmaterial.com/vsScooterTypeAll.htm
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Midnight Rider wrote:
So weird!!!
Very! I kind of wish I would have gotten that kind of improvement with the Dr. Pulleys. I hear they last forever. So it is no big deal, next time VRM opens his transmission again (which should be soon) we can trade back and see if I can get different results. Just for fun!!! I know he has mysteriously taken complete possession of them Actually it is one of the conditions that he will bring Iris back to life again. So shich one do I choose: body work and brand new paint job or crappy Dr.Pulleys? I guess everyone knows my answer. Now back to the LX150 ie
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
Who needs crappy Dr Pulleys anyway???
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Hooked
LX 125 i.e

Hooked
LX 125 i.e
UTC quote
As I told you, the mechanic guys who imported parts from Pulley did ask me to change many things (variators, and clutch etc.. ) and the cost is up to 600usd

He said that this is necessary to do this

So I want to ask is it okay if I only change : the belt, the roller and Variator slide ?

is it okay to apply slider weights instead of normal roller in original variator and clutch ?

And can you guys give me the exact measurement of roller and variator slide ? because there are too many types of weight and size

thanks !
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0287s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0217s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]