UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Molto Verboso
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC quote
Rob & Ray,

Beautiful looking bikes you have there 8)

Barry
UTC

MP3 400

MP3 400
UTC quote
Very nice!!
@pilot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400, MP3 500

Enthusiast
@pilot avatar
MP3 400, MP3 500
UTC quote
raybjur wrote:
I figure I shaved 40 lbs by switching from the MP3 to the Mana so I'm done!
Hmmm, maybe I should shave 4 0 lbs off of my MP3 by shaving them from the rider.

And Rob and Ray have gorgeous Mana's, but somehow their pictures aren't as good as gopam's picture. Same Mana, but the human element makes gopam's photo so much more interesting.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Pilot wrote:
raybjur wrote:
Hmmm, maybe I should shave 4 0 lbs off of my MP3 by shaving them from the rider.

And Rob and Ray have gorgeous Mana's, but somehow their pictures aren't as good as gopam's picture. Same Mana, but the human element makes gopam's photo so much more interesting.
yes GoPam's ride is definitely better looking.
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Aye, can't compete with Pam in the looks department !
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
Rob In Denver wrote:
Aye, can't compete with Pam in the looks department !
Needs paint.
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
My face does, no doubt.
Assume we are discussing the merits of the rider and not the bike, no?
@raybjur avatar
UTC

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
@raybjur avatar
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
UTC quote
Bunch of dirty old men! I, on the other hand, just showered!
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
Before Rob posted his pics I thought about commenting that any pics after Pam's could only be a step back; but I didn't want to appear to be the dirty old man that I am.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Nice looking rides, Rob and Ray. Can't say I ain't a wee bit jealous...
@dominick54 avatar
UTC

Hooked
09 MP3 500cc Reddevil, 2011 LX150 IE (Wifes) 2019 MP3 500cc Sport Nightrider (Mine)

Hooked
@dominick54 avatar
09 MP3 500cc Reddevil, 2011 LX150 IE (Wifes) 2019 MP3 500cc Sport Nightrider (Mine)
UTC quote
Mana
Hey Rob where did U buys your at in Denver? Your MP3 500cc still not working at all who has it?
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Faye Myers Motorcycle World for the Mana, and the 500 is still sitting in my Garage, waiting for Sportique in Boulder to get the part in , and then I suppose to get around to working on it. Thank God for getting the Mana or I think I would be bonkers waiting for the 500 to get fixed.
I AM impatient and want the 500 to run again soon, I really miss the thing!
@trirol1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500

Addicted
@trirol1 avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
How does it handle on the freeway or in the wind?
@raybjur avatar
UTC

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
@raybjur avatar
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
UTC quote
I haven't ridden in gusty winds yet but at freeway speeds (70+), the Mana has excellent characteristics. Compared to my 500 it's a smoother ride, more nimble, and lots more spare acceleration if needed. I miss the 500 for the local (<60mph) riding but on the open road, the Mana wins.
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
I have only 120 miles on mine, so its a bit early to judge it. i took it out yesterday on my favorite twisty canyon road, and took it slow, but was inpressed. i took it a short way on I 70 and decided it indeed would need a windscreen of some sort. i have beem surprised how pleasant a naked bike is, up to abour 70mph. Think i will go with the Puig Fly screen, dark tinted.
happens to be backordered at he moment.
on my way out of town i stopped at a streetside P.O.Box and was pleased by having the storage right in front of me to pop open, get the lettters out and mail them. on the 500, you have to get off and get them from under the seat.

Thats offset a little by the ability to lock the 500s wheels while fiddling with such things. But its not bad, balancing he Mana. But for me, the wheel lock will always make the 500 the winner in town. Just such a great feature.
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC quote
trirol1 wrote:
How does it handle on the freeway or in the wind?
On the freeway is a blast to ride. It's nice being able to keep up with the traffic (or in my case pass traffic Razz emoticon ). The ride is not too bad in wind, I've done it quite a few times with the stock windshield as well as the aftermarket Puig. No problem!!!

Barry
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 2009

Hooked
MP3 250 2009
UTC quote
off line joke but since you have 2 italian bikes
Rob In Denver wrote:
If you have any hope of getting a Mana at the current promotional price, and it may be too late already, you better do it. Like today.
Since the promotion started they have, according to Micah at AF1, pretty much cleared the warehouse.
Like I said earlier, AF1 had a couple a couple days ago. Maybe not now, and there may not be more available. If you want one, move fast.

Since I bought the first 500 ( make that the first two 500s) sold in Colorado, there has been a good three years passed, and enough monetary recouping to go after the Mana. I too was interested in the Honda, but knew I could not spend the money on it. The Mana had to be it.

I have always contended that if you ride Italian, you need a spare bike, due to breakdowns and parts availability. So it is.
What will be your spare.... for your spare own=ing 2 I-Bikes? If Aprillia=Piaggio then what do you do when it breaks? Is Aprillia still piaggio? PPS that mana is so temptingly sexy..... or is that because I associate it with GoPam?
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Piaggio owns most Italian bike compamies, except for Ducati. Think that is right. Moto Guzzi? Not sure.
I just figure your odds of having a bike to ride goes up when you have a few,
particularly Italian ones.
I just heard that the part is in for my 500. ill get it to Sportique Tuesday, and am reallylooking forward to getting it back and hope, hope, hope it is going to be OK, after I ran it without coolant ( unknowingly).
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
Ducati
Last thing I heard was Audi may buy Ducati. The price I heard was $1,100,000,000.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 2009

Hooked
MP3 250 2009
UTC quote
Wow ! Audi may buy Ducati I loved all my AUDIs'
Rob In Denver wrote:
Piaggio owns most Italian bike compamies, except for Ducati. Think that is right. Moto Guzzi? Not sure.
I just heard that the part is in for my 500. ill get it to Sportique Tuesday, and am reallylooking forward to getting it back and hope, hope, hope it is going to be OK, after I ran it without coolant ( unknowingly).
AUDUC! Wow ! When Audi fuses with Ducati.....The lawyer who wants me to sign this tuesday...correction has wanted me to sign for the last 2 weeks, (won his case against Moto Guzi), so he said the check came from Piaggio so I guess Piaggio does own all Italian companies. Who is Scarebo? I saw one last week and my memory jogged the last time I saw one was the 1990's.
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC quote
Re: Wow ! Audi may buy Ducati I loved all my AUDIs'
spartanturtle333 wrote:
Rob In Denver wrote:
AUDUC! Wow ! When Audi fuses with Ducati.....The lawyer who wants me to sign this tuesday...correction has wanted me to sign for the last 2 weeks, (won his case against Moto Guzi), so he said the check came from Piaggio so I guess Piaggio does own all Italian companies. Who is Scarebo? I saw one last week and my memory jogged the last time I saw one was the 1990's.
Scarabeo > Aprilia > Piaggio
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500

Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
heinlein wrote:
Rob In Denver wrote:
The wheels can be shocking price wise. You can spend thousands. Mine is good as is.
I agree; but I understand the handling improvement from dropping a few lbs. of wheel weight is HUGE. If I was better at rationalizing unneeded expenditures I would have a set of these for my Duc.
http://www.oppracing.com/category/300-bst-carbon-wheels/?page=3
Supposedly each lb. of rotating unsprung weight saved is equivalent to 5 lbs. sprung weight saved. $3,625.20 is hard for me to justify on a bike that already handles great.
Sometimes you can out-spend yourself into a worse position. I've been guilty of that!

As far as the Mana GT goes, I like the accessibility to everything. Well balanced and reviews show it to be a great handling bike. It's a beautiful bike! I dunno, after this MP3 issue, I sworn off ever buying a 1 lung thumper again. How's the vibration on your Mana?
@raybjur avatar
UTC

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
@raybjur avatar
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
UTC quote
The Mana is a 90d V twin so it is much smoother at idle and all speeds compared to the 500. I can actually see what's behind me thru the mirrors without getting dizzy - including at idle! The 500 was a popcorn maker at idle but not bad at speed.

What I miss the most though, even with the GT half-fairing, is the 'cone of silence' I had with the Madstad on the 500. Both Mana models throw a lot of air at the chest and head at higher speeds.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
heinlein wrote:
Rob In Denver wrote:
The wheels can be shocking price wise. You can spend thousands. Mine is good as is.
I agree; but I understand the handling improvement from dropping a few lbs. of wheel weight is HUGE. If I was better at rationalizing unneeded expenditures I would have a set of these for my Duc.
http://www.oppracing.com/category/300-bst-carbon-wheels/?page=3
Supposedly each lb. of rotating unsprung weight saved is equivalent to 5 lbs. sprung weight saved. $3,625.20 is hard for me to justify on a bike that already handles great.
Sometimes you can out-spend yourself into a worse position. I've been guilty of that!

As far as the Mana GT goes, I like the accessibility to everything. Well balanced and reviews show it to be a great handling bike. It's a beautiful bike! I dunno, after this MP3 issue, I sworn off ever buying a 1 lung thumper again. How's the vibration on your Mana?
wow when did that new model of a Mana come out. dam I missed that one.
@trirol1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500

Addicted
@trirol1 avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
weird ---

i can pass at highway speeds --- or go 80-90 mph - my rearviews are usable - what was wrong with y'alls 500s
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Guess you are lucky. So was I till I hit 18,000 miles. Hope your luck holds longer than mine did!
But somehow i suspect that the various issues will get most people sooner or later.
@raybjur avatar
UTC

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
@raybjur avatar
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
UTC quote
Don't misunderstand. Nothing 'wrong' with the 500. A single feels rougher at idle than a multi as a general rule - one that the 500 abides by. It's a rotational balance thing that's expensive to counter. At idle, my oem mirrors vibrated to the point that I experimented with bar end weights to no benefit. At speed the mirrors became functional as revs increased. The engine was as smooth as I would expect from a large bore single once in it's 'happy space' of 4-6k. As for passing ability, at 65-75 mph, you have to time/plan your pass much more with the 500 than with almost twice the horses available with less weight on the 850. Not a fair comparison IMHO. It's not a put-down statement. It's empirical data from riding both. Each has it's strong points and primary uses.
@trirol1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500

Addicted
@trirol1 avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
yeah - i do hope i have better luck with these scoots --- that's why i am pretty conservative with my mods - i paid less than $11k for these two and both had under 3k miles then -

though at the $6k price the Mana is more than tempting ---

i definitely like it more than the honda schmooter - i like how it has the dual sport look -

is the none ABS model getting discontinued?
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Not sure about if this model gets discontinued now.
Scarabeos are made by Aprilia, they made a 500cc touring scoot, that was pretty cool. But nobody much seemed to want such a thing ( I had one, figures).
enjoying the Mana more as I get a bit more comfy on it.
You think the seat is uncomfortable on the MP3?
Cannot spend more thn an hour currently without discomfort.
It is a sport seat though.
@alba avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona

Hooked
@alba avatar
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona
UTC quote
Belated congrats on the new ride Rob. I will be interested to hear your feelings once you get more comfortable on it, especially in contrast to the MP3. My scoot was out of commission for 8 months as it had the dreaded notch and I wasn't in any hurry to pay for the repairs, but once I got back on it however I had to relearn how to ride it. I found a definite difference in how it "feels" to a regular two wheeler.
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
The MP3 needs a lot more countersteering for sure The mana is pretty light in its steering dept from anything I have owned.
Hope to get my 500 back up this week.
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
I will be picking up the 500 today and will be very happy to be getting it back.
Some have assumed that once I got the Mana the 500 would be history, but not so fast I think.
Both have their plus and minus points. And even though my mileage is still pretty low on the Mana, I can make a couple observations pretty safely.

The MP3, in town, is just way more functional. Moving it around when it is turned off, the wheel lock feature, and the easy ability to park it almost thoughtlessly anywhere you want and hop off make it great, in my book.
Add that it has all the power you need in town, the extra safety margins provided by the extra front wheel means its hard to top. Mileage is better too of course.

Now having the Mana has just made me appreciate the good things about the 500 even more,nI took them form granted I think, after a few years.

I do really love the Mana. Handles with almost no input like a dream, when they named it Mana, which means something akin to " magic" they named it well I think. that storage space right in front of you is super handy when going to the bank or the post office box. But this bike will be for joyrides in the country and light touring mostly. It will excell in those areas. So good to have two bikes that do what they do so well. I am a lucky guy.

Then there is my wifes Vespa 250 I can hop on as well, so I have small medium and ( to me anyway) large bikes to choose from.
Mostly I will be in the 500.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
Re: Wow ! Audi may buy Ducati I loved all my AUDIs'
spartanturtle333 wrote:
Rob In Denver wrote:
Now confirmed Audi has bought Ducati.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Pilot wrote:
raybjur wrote:

yes GoPam's ride is definitely better looking.
haha thanks guys.

p.s. I LOVE MY MANA
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
I like mine too, though as I predicted, I always choose the Mp3 for intown jaunts. The Mana for out of town rides.
I have managed to drop mine a couple times, and now have crash bars installed, as I figure maybe I am not done letting gravity get it away from me from time to time. It doesnt take much.
Damn thing is heavy when it goes over.
Fun to ride though! out where the stops and starts are not continuous, as they are intown.
I think the scoots are just more fun in town, but thats just my opinion.
I am glad I bought it, though after the 2nd drop, I was wondering if I had made the right choice.
I wish they had put a rear brake lever on, and a gas gauge, but otherwise, its a nice machine.
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC quote
Rob In Denver wrote:
I like mine too, though as I predicted, I always choose the Mp3 for intown jaunts. The Mana for out of town rides.
I have managed to drop mine a couple times, and now have crash bars installed, as I figure maybe I am not done letting gravity get it away from me from time to time. It doesnt take much.
Fun to ride though! out where the stops and starts are not continuous, as they are intown.
I am glad I bought it, though after the 2nd drop, I was wondering if I had made the right choice.
I wish they had put a rear brake lever on, and a gas gauge, but otherwise, its a nice machine.
Rob,

There is a mod to add the rear brake lever to the left side. Been discussed on the Aprilia forum

Barry
@raybjur avatar
UTC

Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT

Addicted
@raybjur avatar
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
UTC quote
I also love the Mana for it's looks and performance compared to the MP3. The lack of a left lever is the only thing I miss because I like resting my palm on the grip with my fingers laying across the lever. The Rear Brake 'kit' costs too much and if a MC rider were to try out my Mana, he would likely lock up the rear while instinctively trying to clutch when stopping. You biker/scooterists guys are my heroes for being able to mentally change between mounts.
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
oh, man, never thought about that! Now...
Hey Ray,

when I returned to riding, I just naturally countersteered and all was well.

I read the book and hear the talk about countersteering and thats all I could think about for a few hundred miles. ran me wide off familiar roads a couple times!

now I gotta "think" about the clutch versus the rear brake lever!?!

oh NOOOOOO!

raybjur wrote:
I also love the Mana for it's looks and performance compared to the MP3. The lack of a left lever is the only thing I miss because I like resting my palm on the grip with my fingers laying across the lever. The Rear Brake 'kit' costs too much and if a MC rider were to try out my Mana, he would likely lock up the rear while instinctively trying to clutch when stopping. You biker/scooterists guys are my heroes for being able to mentally change between mounts.
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
would love to hear / read more about your "drops"
hi Rob, when I first got my Mana 09 I found it strange that it felt light but once the steering wheel was turned it felt very heavy and seemed to want to drop.

going back to my 3/500 the steering (not turning!) felt very light, almost like it had power steering boost! made / makes no intuitive sense - double contact patch, more mechanical linkages, etc.

so far - touch wood- no drops or offs, but would love to learn from your experiences.

Cheers
Rob In Denver wrote:
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0440s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0249s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]