@countglockula avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
06 LX150, 06 GT200

Enthusiast
@countglockula avatar
06 LX150, 06 GT200
UTC quote
I have an intermittent issue with the electric starter on my '06 LX150. Periodically it will just whirr but not engage the flywheel teeth. I can always eventually make it work by repeatedly pressing the starter button, but it happens just often enough to be annoying.

I have already done the routine fixes by adding a new battery and confirming the starter circuitry is functioning properly. The entire issue seems to be the bendix being sticky and not engaging. I have heard of fixing this by actually going in and manually lubing the starter gear.

My question is, is there a simple method to getting lube into the proper area without dissasembling the sideplate and removing the clutch assembly?

Also, is there a recommeded repair I can make myself?

Thanks!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Lube isn't the issue - the bendix is actually supposed to be dry. However, some muckite inevitably gets in amongst it after time, and then it'll need cleaning. Happens to all of them eventually, if they aren't routinely cleaned at belt-check/change time.

So open up the transmission cover, take the outer driving pulley off, remove bendix and clean it thoroughly.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
countglockula wrote:
My question is, is there a simple method to getting lube into the proper area without dissasembling the sideplate and removing the clutch assembly?
Nope.
OP
@countglockula avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
06 LX150, 06 GT200

Enthusiast
@countglockula avatar
06 LX150, 06 GT200
UTC quote
Thanks... will tear it down next week.

Cheers!
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
@notdeadyet avatar
UTC

'06 GTS 250, '09 GTS Super, '79 Vespa P 125x,

@notdeadyet avatar
'06 GTS 250, '09 GTS Super, '79 Vespa P 125x,
UTC quote
Ah the 2006 LX-150 bendix issue. Aside from cleaning the starter gears, upgrade the battery to a 12v-12a variety and that will help to alleviate the problem. Make sure the battery fits. Later model LX's were switched to the more efficient cranking power of 12amps. Another quick fix on the road....(and yes this has worked on more than one 2006 LX model), is to lean the scoot as far over as possible to the starter side to let gravity assist in making contact with cranking gears. Do this carefully with very little throttle. Hopefully you will not have so much fuel in your tank that it runs out the overfill valve and floods the dreaded emission system. That is if the emission system is still intact...Hint, Hint.
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Had this problem on my GTS125 with a sticky starter (even on my 2009 model).

The 'gravity assist' that Notdeadyet recommends will help your starting for a while but its a pain to do this everytime when really you know you need to fix it!

As above, Danny tipped me off on the videos and MV threads (really helpful)and from that I opened her up and did the job fine.

Here's the thread on mine and the dirty bendix pics
Starter motor not engaging Vespa 125 GTS

Good luck
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@15pap15 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
09 LX150, 04 ZX-10r

Enthusiast
@15pap15 avatar
09 LX150, 04 ZX-10r
UTC quote
if there is voltage at the starter leads, your starter motor may need to be taken apart. the positive contact could come loose on the inside.

this is what happened to my 09 s150 and I could not figure out what was wrong.
it was $300 or take apart starter.

resolder and good to go
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0989s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0903s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]