OP
@notacreativeusername avatar
UTC

Vespa Gts 300

Vespa Gts 300
UTC quote
I'm planning a trip north for my spring break. Camping the whole way I plan to get as far North as possible.
I wanted to ask you guys for some advice on landmarks to stop and see. My only limit is 10 days total so I'm guessing 4 days heading there and 4 back. I'm already planning on visiting San Francisco, Yosemite Forest, Seattle and Cross into Canada and I figure I'll do a checkup on my Gts 300 in Vancouver.

I was originally planning this trip with a friend but he couldn't make it so going at it solo.

I can cover lots of miles in a day so any suggestions are welcome!
@mighty_triceratops avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200

Addicted
@mighty_triceratops avatar
'79 P200
UTC quote
Don't leave Portland off that lis, great restaurants and breweries. Also the Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands are a must.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Hard Riding (at least for me!)
For me LA to Seattle in 4 days is very possible but would require some long days in the saddle unless you just wanted to stick to I-5. Throw in Vancouver BC which is an additional 3 to 4 hours north of Seattle and it would be a very good ride but again some long days.

If it were me I'd head up to SF and then east a bit to Yosemite. Then maybe take a south eastern route back passing by Death Valley and on into LA.

Sounds like a very good trip and doing it solo will let you cover more miles.

I do have to admit that when someone tells me its a lot of miles and requires long butt hurting days in the the saddle it makes me want to do it even more.
⚠️ Last edited by Turkman on UTC; edited 1 time
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Seattle
I'm always tooting the horn for my Seattle dealer, Vespa Seattle/Big Peoples Scooters.....so when you get in the area and need anything for your scooter (or service) they ARE the ones to contact!
OP
UTC

Vespa Gts 300

Vespa Gts 300
UTC quote
thanks for the advice! I do want to cover many miles I don't think 500 a day is too much. I did 600+ miles one time going to sequoia park and I loved every bit of it. Vespa is really comfortable, only thing was the cold but this time ill be better prepared with riding pants and base layers.

I'm hoping I can get to Canada, maybe its wishful thinking, we'll see.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
notacreativeusername wrote:
thanks for the advice! I do want to cover many miles I don't think 500 a day is too much. I did 600+ miles one time going to sequoia park and I loved every bit of it. Vespa is really comfortable, only thing was the cold but this time ill be better prepared with riding pants and base layers.

I'm hoping I can get to Canada, maybe its wishful thinking, we'll see.
With day light savings time in effect you'll have time for long days in the saddle. Might want to think about some heated riding gear. I use a heated jacket liner and heated gloves on my GTS250.
OP
UTC

Vespa Gts 300

Vespa Gts 300
UTC quote
With day light savings time in effect you'll have time for long days in the saddle. Might want to think about some heated riding gear. I use a heated jacket liner and heated gloves on my GTS250.[/quote]

I have been thinking of heated gear with the dc electrical plug. I just worry it will be too much of an electrical load for the battery with that cold I want as much juice as possible in it. I have to look into some gear.
I just got a falco twin screen which should help with the cold
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
LA to Seattle or the San Juan Islands and back in ten days is a tall order. Ivana Tinkle and I did a trip to the San Juan Islands from San Francisco last year - it was 9 days of 300+ miles per day. Just over 3,000 miles in total. Add on the extra round-trip of 1,600-odd miles from LA and back and that becomes ten days of 460 miles per day. Not much time for doing interesting roads or enjoying the scenery.

For this sort of trip 250 miles per day is perfect, enough time to enjoy the back roads. So I'd advise exploring the wonderful roads in Northern California and the southern bit of Oregon. Getting to Portland might be possible - if so do stay at the McMenamins Edgefield: http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Agreed....
jimc wrote:
LA to Seattle or the San Juan Islands and back in ten days is a tall order. Ivana Tinkle and I did a trip to the San Juan Islands from San Francisco last year - it was 9 days of 300+ miles per day. Just over 3,000 miles in total. Add on the extra round-trip of 1,600-odd miles from LA and back and that becomes ten days of 460 miles per day. Not much time for doing interesting roads or enjoying the scenery.

For this sort of trip 250 miles per day is perfect, enough time to enjoy the back roads. So I'd advise exploring the wonderful roads in Northern California and the southern bit of Oregon. Getting to Portland might be possible - if so do stay at the McMenamins Edgefield: http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home
For Patty and I, 250 miles is also the ideal day.

Time to stop, take a few breaks and pictures, and arrive with enough energy to enjoy where ever it is we're overnighting.

Maybe it comes with being over 40.

And 50....
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Staying Warm
notacreativeusername wrote:
With day light savings time in effect you'll have time for long days in the saddle. Might want to think about some heated riding gear. I use a heated jacket liner and heated gloves on my GTS250.
I have been thinking of heated gear with the dc electrical plug. I just worry it will be too much of an electrical load for the battery with that cold I want as much juice as possible in it. I have to look into some gear.
I just got a falco twin screen which should help with the cold[/quote]

The main concern for using heated gear is the alternator out put. For my '06 GTS it was about 280 watts max. I run a heated jacket liner and heated gloves with a heat controller. No problems with running down the battery or over taxing the electrical system. Jacket liner takes approx 77 watts on full and gloves take about 22 watts on full.
@sergeibelski avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@sergeibelski avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
If you would like you can take a look at some photos from my trip from Calgary, Canada to Mexico: http://www.sergeibelski.com/blog/search/?t=vespa+mexico

It took me 5 days to get from Oregon to LA... but I took it very slow, spent a bunch of time in San Francisco, broke my ankle somewhere before California and had to spend some getting that looked at, and in general took slow roads along the coast so I can see more.

It can be easily done in 4 days and would be very enjoyable!

Sergei
@romm927 avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS300 Super

@romm927 avatar
Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Wow, what a trip that must be!
Hey, curious when you are leaving? I'm also in WeHo and would like a chance to talk to you about your trip. I was also planning a very similar trip last year: Portland to Vancouver and ride all way back to LA. I was gonna pick up a scooter in Portland so that would have been my starting point. Anyway, let me know. Rommel
OP
UTC

Vespa Gts 300

Vespa Gts 300
UTC quote
sergeibelski wrote:
If you would like you can take a look at some photos from my trip from Calgary, Canada to Mexico: http://www.sergeibelski.com/blog/search/?t=vespa+mexico

It took me 5 days to get from Oregon to LA... but I took it very slow, spent a bunch of time in San Francisco, broke my ankle somewhere before California and had to spend some getting that looked at, and in general took slow roads along the coast so I can see more.

It can be easily done in 4 days and would be very enjoyable!

Sergei
I saw your post some time ago, and it was much of the inspiration to do this trip. Only difference is I'll be camping along the way. I was just asking my friend from Alberta about what to see in Canada. Very exited to get going. I have never done this kind of camping trip should be an adventure! I'll post some pics as I go along
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

Vespa Gts 300

Vespa Gts 300
UTC quote
Better late than never here are the trip pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/estefanm/sets/72157629671519454/
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@sergeibelski avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@sergeibelski avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Wonderful photos, great looking trip!

Sergei
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Amazing. Fabulous sights. Thanks for sharing.
OP
UTC

Vespa Gts 300

Vespa Gts 300
UTC quote
Thanks! here is the trip odometer at the end (trip A) and the return (trip B)
@rude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTV 300ie

Hooked
@rude avatar
2012 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Catch a baseball game in Seattle.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0267s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0153s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]