OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
..besides the good looks, money, and talent....(to avoid any confusion here, I mean his not mine), is my almost debilitating fear of heights. I can climb in the flimsiest of airplanes and be just fine, but put me on a tall structure or near a sheer drop-off, I will instantly turn to rubber-knee'd, palpitating, chicken pudding.

I stumbled across these images of Tom Cruise siting atop the spire of the Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai this morning and am almost paralized just looking at them. He is 2,717 feet above the pavement. I have a new-found respect for this guy, if for nothing more than his cajones in being willing, and able, to do something like this. He was there for the filming of the Mission Impossible IV movie and it's scenes shot on and around the tower.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Gag! I share your fear of heights (or at least the look straight down), but I have to ask - are these really photos or photoshop? I can't imagine the company insuring Cruise for this film would let him do that. Also, I have been below a helicopter at takeoff and landing. There is a good chance it would blow you off of a small pedestal like that. (Okay, I'm the perpetual cynic, but I just don't take visual images at face value any more)
@mightymousetech avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@mightymousetech avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Sure looks photshopped. Where is the shadow on his left leg coming from? And his right heel looks cut off.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
pic 1 - no shadow of left foot?
pic 2 - shadow of left foot reversed?
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Gag! I share your fear of heights (or at least the look straight down), but I have to ask - are these really photos or photoshop? I can't imagine the company insuring Cruise for this film would let him do that. Also, I have been below a helicopter at takeoff and landing. There is a good chance it would blow you off of a small pedestal like that. (Okay, I'm the perpetual cynic, but I just don't take visual images at face value any more)
Entirely understandable.

However.......

OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
1. The shadow of the left foot and lower leg, considering the tubular shape of the tower spire, and the angle of the sun, appears to be realistic to me.

2. I don't see this.

Nerd emoticon
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
Count me among the skeptics here.

I agree that the shadows are totally unrealistic. In the top photo (the only one in which you can be sure it is Tom), the shadow of his right foot indicates that the sunlight is arriving at a very high angle. However, the shadows of the much shorter objects on the ground are much longer than the objects are tall, indicating a relatively low sun angle.

Also, if the sunlight were coming from the direction indicated by the objects on the ground, his left leg would throw a visible shadow on the cylindrical tower top, considering the position he is in.

Not an awful photochop, but a fairly mediocre one.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
1. The shadow of the left foot and lower leg, considering the tubular shape of the tower spire, and the angle of the sun, appears to be realistic to me.

2. I don't see this.

Nerd emoticon
Silver streak beat me to it.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Yeah, I think the shadow you can see behind his right foot is actually the left foot shadow given the way the sun is shining.

Does look photoshopped though nevertheless.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Hmmm! how do we resolve this?

I'm staying in the 'it's real' camp for now.

Once the mental terror of doing this is dealt with, what you're left with is something that is no more difficult than sitting on a kitchen stool on your deck at home on a breezy day.

It's a psychological stunt more than anything physically difficult.....having said that, i wouldn't be able to overcome my relevent phobia to actually do this.....or would I?

I still can see no inconsistencies with the shadows Cruise's legs cast on the tubular shape of the spire, nor the shadows cast by the background's buildings. Part of my job is to draw things fairly realistically, and that includes visualising how shadows will fall onto various shapes.

The photo may indeed be a shopped image, but IMO the shadows alone provide no good evidence of it being so.

Nerd emoticon
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
There is a shadow cast on the tube by Cruise's left leg in the image, but because of a lack of contrast in the photo image however, it appears that there is no shadow when in fact, the shadow is what appears to be the inside of his pant leg, the actual edge of the pant leg is slightly inside of this dark area.

The left leg's shadow conforms with the contours of the tube's surface, showing the slight lip at the upper portion, with his left foot's shadow falling into one of the 'D' shaped foothold openings in the tube.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
This has been fairly well covered by a variety of sources, who all corroborate that he actually did it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tom+cruise+burj+khalifa

The doubt is understandable, but probably misplaced.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
looks right ot me . his face and arm shadows are correct with the other building shadows. The video of the helicopter and the same helicopter is in the still pic.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Re: (NSR) The difference between myself and Tom Cruise...
Scooterdoodler wrote:
..besides the good looks, money, and talent....(to avoid any confusion here, I mean his not mine), is my almost debilitating fear of heights. I can climb in the flimsiest of airplanes and be just fine, but put me on a tall structure or near a sheer drop-off, I will instantly turn to rubber-knee'd, palpitating, chicken pudding.

I stumbled across these images of Tom Cruise siting atop the spire of the Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai this morning and am almost paralized just looking at them. He is 2,717 feet above the pavement. I have a new-found respect for this guy, if for nothing more than his cajones in being willing, and able, to do something like this. He was there for the filming of the Mission Impossible IV movie and it's scenes shot on and around the tower.
This picture makes me queasy, too, though, in my younger days I had no problem standing at the edge of sheer cliffs (ask Mrs. mpfrank). I don't know when that changed.

On the other hand, I (and you as well, scooterdoodler) have no problem sitting on a bar stool with handlebars going 70+ miles per hour over the equivalent of 60-grit sandpaper surrounded by 2-ton vehicles driven by a random assortment of the alcohol-drinking, drug-using, cell-phone-texting population at large.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Any word if his life insurance agent has recovered from the heart attack?
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Yeah I think it is real. I remember one of those hollywood shows doing a piece on it awhile back. They never lie.

No really though it is real.

I bet Boulty would do it. Remember his video hanging off the side of some big ass building in NZ?
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
What really freaks me out, and I actually can't watch for long, are those cliff-climbers who use nothing but their fingers and feet.

@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
Scooterdoodler wrote:

This picture makes me queasy, too, though, in my younger days I had no problem standing at the edge of sheer cliffs (ask Mrs. mpfrank). I don't know when that changed.
I asked myself that question one day not too long ago, and decided it must have happened when I realized that I really did have something to lose.
@markysparx avatar
UTC

Turnkey 79
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!

Turnkey 79
@markysparx avatar
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!
UTC quote
I'm on the real side i'm afraid. Gullable, maybe. I don't like feeling tricked. When someone finds out for sure. Please let us all know.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
This has been fairly well covered by a variety of sources, who all corroborate that he actually did it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tom+cruise+burj+khalifa

The doubt is understandable, but probably misplaced.
Looks like I owe him a tip of the hat!
⚠️ Last edited by Aviator47 on UTC; edited 1 time
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
I agree that the shadows are totally unrealistic. In the top photo (the only one in which you can be sure it is Tom), the shadow of his right foot indicates that the sunlight is arriving at a very high angle. However, the shadows of the much shorter objects on the ground are much longer than the objects are tall, indicating a relatively low sun angle.

Also, if the sunlight were coming from the direction indicated by the objects on the ground, his left leg would throw a visible shadow on the cylindrical tower top, considering the position he is in.

Yes, I'm with you on the shadows. And watching the video clip showing the yellow helicopter 'capturing the shot', I'd say he (whoever he is?!) is close enough to get some hefty blade downwash, unless that's dissipated in free air. Having experienced downwash on the ground myself, you'd know it, and with a star of his value, he'd definitely be harnessed.

Shame that with advanced technology like Photoshop, we now can't beleive what we see and have to question it. Do you remember that old fashioned thing called Trust?
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
The difference between myself and Tom Cruise... I never did Nicole Kidman that I remember.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
The distant shots show someone on the tower. Could be Cruise or a stunt double.

The closeup pic showing him sitting on the tower is suspicious to me. Look at the top of his head and follow his outline down the left side of his image (his right shoulder) to his elbow it looks like a cutout. Same thing on the backside of the leg image (his left leg) where it is against the tower. Again, it looks like a cutout.

The structure he is sitting on and the background do not seem to match. That could have been a studio graphics sort of thing. Take a pic of him sitting on a stool made to look like that part of the tower and photoshop over an aerial photo showing the earth and buildings.

As high as that tower is, I would imagine that it is gusty all the time, yet, not a hair out of place.

The link posted about authenticity lists several other links describing the feat. I didn't open them, but the dates indicate this event has been talked about since 2010, each link leading one to believe that it is current news.

Show me the money.
@bulldog89 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Burgman 400

Addicted
@bulldog89 avatar
Burgman 400
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:

I know how you feel. Bleh emoticon I would say you have SDS (Sudden Deceleration Syndrome). It isn't the fall that kills you, it is the sudden stop after the fall that does.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Santiago wrote:
The difference between myself and Tom Cruise... I never did Nicole Kidman that I remember.
If you had, she would have thrown rocks at him.
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
There's no way on earth I could sit where he was sitting but, oddly, I'd quite like to have a go at the abseiling bit. I'd somehow feel much safer with the rope than clinging to the roof. The only issue is I can't see what you do when you get to the end of the rope as I'm guessing the rope isn't 2,717 feet long.
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
Two issues really then...

Did he actually do it? Well, he probably did.

Is the picture of him doing it real? Nope, I don't think so, for all the reasons people have said. Does a fake picture mean he didn't do it? No.

@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
OK

Red arrows. Left foot is skewed towards the left front, shadow of left foot towards the right.

Blue arrow. Shadow of pant leg is higher above foot than pant leg, and is much wider than pant leg.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
As high as that tower is, I would imagine that it is gusty all the time, yet, not a hair out of place.
The first photo clearly shows his hair being blown, either from natural wind or perhaps rotorwash from the helicopter hovering nearby....or both, but it's definately being 'lifted'....unless he's taken to sporting a Conway Twitty pompador on one side of his head.

Nerd emoticon
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Gizmodo covered this when it happened, and has some more details.

http://gizmodo.com/5693238/tom-cruise-was-the-tallest-man-in-the-world-tonight
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
OK

Red arrows. Left foot is skewed towards the left front, shadow of left foot towards the right.

Blue arrow. Shadow of pant leg is higher above foot than pant leg, and is much wider than pant leg.
The right/left image of the shadow is correct for the lighting and position of Cruise's leg, they can (must, actually, considering the position of the subject, and the light source) appear to be reversed.

If The pant leg is flattened longitudinally as he holds his leg out (from wind or his motion), from the side, the pant leg will appear narrow as in the side view of the photo, while from below (or above), the pant leg will appear wider. 'Above', being the position of the light source, the shadow will reflect that wider, above, view.

Damn! this is a LOT easier for me to visualize than explain in words.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
That would be mission impossible for me.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
OK

not his left foot shadow its the right foot shadow. angle of the sun
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
not to mention risky business.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
OK

not his left foot shadow its the right foot shadow. angle of the sun
I can draw a quicky diagram of how and why the 'reversed' appearing foot shadow in the photo is correct, but it will have to wait until I get home from work and can scan it in and upload it so it can be posted.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Gizmodo covered this when it happened, and has some more details.

http://gizmodo.com/5693238/tom-cruise-was-the-tallest-man-in-the-world-tonight
I don't have a problem with the concept that he actually sat up there. On the other hand, I agree with brown-beret7 that the closeup picture is a fake, and that these are two different issues.

I suspect they didn't get good enough closeups of the actual event for promo purposes, so they faked one.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
not to mention risky business.
I would have eyes wide shut!

Somebody stop us.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
I don't have a problem with the concept that he actually sat up there. On the other hand, I agree with brown-beret7 that the closeup picture is a fake, and that these are two different issues.

I suspect they didn't get good enough closeups of the actual event for promo purposes, so they faked one.
What makes you think the close-up is fake? The fact that he's brighter than the background? Keep in mind that even at only 2,723 feet, the accumulated particulate matter in the atmosphere between him and the ground is substantial.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Here's a version of the close-up shot that doesn't suffer from as much image compression:

@markysparx avatar
UTC

Turnkey 79

Turnkey 79
@markysparx avatar
UTC quote
infact, there is no difference between me and ol' cruisey! We are both small!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0239s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]