@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
For those who wish to crunch numbers:

FWIW, the apparent camera angle using the top of the column relative to a point 4566 feet away from the base of the building is 31 degrees down from horizontal. One could readily determine the actual camera angle relative to the top of the tower itself by measuring how much the photo makes the circular top surface appear to be elliptical(not that bored yet).

Using Cruise's "neat hair" is meaningless, as there are definitely hair sprays that can keep a star looking un-mussed. BTW, the prevailing winds there are from his back (N thru NW).

jess-

I have a bit of experience with aerial photography and interpretation, helicopters and flying conditions in that neighborhood. The first two may have made some technological advances since my day, but the third remains the same.

Again, FWIW, typical winds in the afternoon (sun is in the west) in the area at 2,500 feet are 15-25 kts. That would put a helo trying to hover constantly in and out of translational lift, and thus very unstable in both pitch and yaw axes. More likely, this shot was made from a slow (30 - 35kt) airspeed. The gyro would pan the camera to hold the foreground in frame, and the further the item is in the distance, the more the image would be blurred. You be the judge.

I am not arguing whether or not Cruise sat where he sat. I am more than willing to bet a bottle of Paros Reserve that the top picture has been subjected to some measure of digital "enhancement", even if just to improve the actor's "visibility" in the pic. I do lean somewhat towards it being a merged picture of a real foreground with a photogenically better background.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
David-

Good point on shadow interpretation. The confusing point is that since the picture is 2D, it looks as if the left leg is against the column, which upon second look at pic 2, it is clearly not so and not possibly so. One has to look at pic 2 to see that the "box" he's sitting on extends further out from the wall of the column than it appears in pic 1. I missed that completely until you provided your graphic.

Thanks.

Now, what about depth of field and angular parallax of a gyro stabilized camera?
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
I am not arguing whether or not Cruise sat where he sat. I am more than willing to bet a bottle of Paros Reserve that the top picture has been subjected to some measure of digital "enhancement", even if just to improve the actor's "visibility" in the pic. I do lean somewhat towards it being a merged picture of a real foreground with a photogenically better background.
To quote Dan Rather's infamous statement: Fake, but accurate.

And to the objection of being skeptical: yep, I am skeptic. Bridgman is only the latest example of near Hollywood grade special effects coming out of home PCs.

Skeptic does not mean conspiracy theorist. There is gold in fort Knox, the grassy knoll is just a hill, and Black Helicopters are black helicopters.

I am going to adopt Missouri as my place of birth.
Show me.

Ps. Agree with the photo depth of field. Although, with digital 128000 ISO and full sunlight, I think I might be able to retain decent apature even with a 3000mm equiv. lens.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
I have a bit of experience with aerial photography and interpretation, helicopters and flying conditions in that neighborhood. The first two may have made some technological advances since my day, but the third remains the same.
They shot the stunt scenes for a major Hollywood picture from that very helicopter. How do you think they stabilized the camera?
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
They shot the stunt scenes for a major Hollywood picture from that very helicopter. How do you think they stabilized the camera?
Read my comment. A moving helicopter with a gyro stabilized camera system can focus and hold frame quite well at "close range". However, to do so, the camera must "pan" to accommodate specific axial movements - the gyro does not have total spherical freedom of movement in space. Thus the area in frame and focus is kept in frame and focus, however, objects one or two miles further away will suffer angular parallax. I've flown a stabilized camera to shoot the Chicago skyline as the back drop for both stills and video for a Navy P3 Orion, and another shoot of a hovering and flying UH-60 Blackhawk. The flying shots, of course, predicated the skyline moving behind the Orion and were simple. The hovering shots required holding the background "stable", and thus calculations to establish stand off from both the Black Hawk and from the skyline to minimize vibrational and "panning" blur in stills. One technique was to simply use a shortened depth of field so that the "blur" was omnidirectional and visually coherent. I realize that modern equipment has better resolution, but the effect is still present to some degree.

The modest lack of definition in the far background of the pic 1 appears to be more a result of "grain" than depth of field or angular parallax, which would lead one to suspect the 'merged" pics, which make more sense in the field of public relations. Shoot Cruise at optimal focus, aperture and shutter speed, then shoot the city at optimal settings for a nice depth of field and clarity. A picture of Cruise over a city that is visually unrecognizable would set off an equally robust debate. Nothing any more "dishonest" than using a bit of color or contrast correction, cropping, etc, which is not dishonest at all in my book.

BTW, video can be quite readily stabilized digitally after the fact, as the frames change faster than the eye can differentiate. Still photography is a bit more complex to "sharpen" after the fact.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
This is my BESTEST thread EVAR!!!

Popcorn emoticon
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Until someone comes up with some corroborating information about the shoot itself, y'all are just pissing in the wind.

Prove it's false. Don't speculate. Don't be as lame as every other armchair quarterback on the internet. Go out and find the actual evidence.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Scooterdoodler wrote:
This is my BESTEST thread EVAR!!!

Popcorn emoticon
Yup - - gotta hand it to you. Been doing more trig in the past 12 hours than since I don't remember when. Winds too stiff for riding. Clown emoticon Clown emoticon
@peterc avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA

Ossessionato
@peterc avatar
2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA
UTC quote
To paraphrase my mother, "Just because Tom Cruise goes and sits on a tower like a crazy person doesn't mean you should, too!"
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
Intelligent skepticism is way more fun than gullibility.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
Awesome.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
Awesome.
Absolutely agree.

Kinda reminds me of something my Uncle Sal, the family sage would say (and I merely paraphrase:

Accept nothing blindly, unless it's a large quantity, small denominations, well circulated, free of any marks and non-sequentially numbered.
⚠️ Last edited by Aviator47 on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Scary, not exactly extraordinary
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Al, your premise seems to boil down to "photography isn't capable of capturing a sharp picture under those conditions from a helicopter".

Is that correct?
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Al, your premise seems to boil down to "photography isn't capable of capturing a sharp picture under those conditions from a helicopter".

Is that correct?
No, I rarely offer absolutes. My premise is that it's would be quite difficult, and much more readily accomplished with a bit of digital workmanship. I ascribed no "dishonesty" to a composite shoot. Just a form of "artistic adjustment".

And thanks for the video. Turns out Cruise was just another tourist at a run of the mill tourist trap!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
And thanks for the video. Turns out Cruise was just another tourist at a run of the mill tourist trap!
Maybe that one was faked, too. I mean, you just never know.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
Hey, I'm sure there are people who believed those cut and paste pictures of Armstrong. Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
Nope, the shadows all line up. Laughing emoticon
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
I think the photoshop questions are coming from the side that they placed Tom in the picture. Having dated many supermodels and marrying one, I can tell you almost every published picture has gone through photoshop to achieve a desirable effect, accuracy be damned..

I believe Tom sat on top of the building. I believe there is a harness holding him there that if we're visible has been shopped out. I believe his hair might have blown a bit out of place, but was again fixed in post production. Shadows are added and taken away for effect, foregrounds sharpened, etc.

The shadows may be wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not him.
@mike_bike_kite avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300

Banned
@mike_bike_kite avatar
GTS250 - GT200 - XJR1300
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
I can tell you almost every published picture has gone through photoshop to achieve a desirable effect, accuracy be damned..
so why didn't they make him a little bit bigger while they were at it?

PS I'm just bitter because I'm not handsome or rich. On the plus side no-one suggests I sit in crazy places for publicity shots. Judging by this thread the shot did it's job. Wasn't impressed by the film but then I didn't expect to be.
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
I don't care if the photo has been...enhanced or not, as long as it is a photo image of Cruise actually sitting where it appears he is. I don't even care if there was a hidden safety harness on him at the time, it's still an effing nightmare for me to imagine doing that sort of thing. Even with a harness, I would have the top of that thing so pooped-up it would look like a statue of a civil war general after a pidgeon convention was held on it...then I would slip and fall.

Nothing in this world scares me as much as doing something like this. I remain impressed.

Nerd emoticon
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
jess wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
Nope, the shadows all line up. Laughing emoticon
That just proves that these guys have better CGI skills than the MI4 team.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Green
And I honestly couldn't give a toss.

Bill X
@markysparx avatar
UTC

Turnkey 79
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!

Turnkey 79
@markysparx avatar
2 helmets, 2 jackets, 4 spark plugs, 2 rear bulbs, some bolts, a spring, an ET rear rack, clear indicators and half a can of unleaded, but no bike!
UTC quote
Re: Green
Bill Dog wrote:
And I honestly couldn't give a toss.

Bill X
ditto
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Damn, now you guys got me wondering if those guys really walked on the moon
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
the wind would blow him off at that hight.
@markysparx avatar
UTC

Turnkey 79

Turnkey 79
@markysparx avatar
UTC quote
sanogeo1 wrote:
the moon is real?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
the wind would blow him off at that hight.
There's no wind on the moon.
@yanobobano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GT 200 (cannonball scoot)

Molto Verboso
@yanobobano avatar
GTS 250ie, GT 200 (cannonball scoot)
UTC quote
markysparx wrote:
sanogeo1 wrote:
the moon is real?
the moon is made of cheese!
@camper avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx150

Molto Verboso
@camper avatar
lx150
UTC quote
Any one Check for skid marks in his jeans!
OP
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC quote
camper wrote:
Any one Check for skid marks in his jeans!
Skid mark inspector?

Now that I think about it, I believe the local trade school might have that listed as one of their courses, right there along with Diesel mechanics and medical transcription technician training.
@monit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@monit avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
One small step for man, one giant lie for area 51.
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
Com Truise
My favorite current musical artist is named Com Truise. Anyone into mid-fi galactic slow-motion synthwave should check it out.

http://comtruise.com/about/
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
PeterC wrote:
To paraphrase my mother, "Just because Tom Cruise goes and sits on a tower like a crazy person doesn't mean you should, too!"
That's why whales strand. The mommy whales for got to say - Just because Sami swam up onto a sandy beach does that mean you should?

Forget the sonar theory this is the answer.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
There's no wind on the moon.
There is in Antarctica!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0276s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0107s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]