UTC

Enthusiast
2007 GTS250ie

Enthusiast
@brianrhoff avatar
2007 GTS250ie
UTC quote
Hello!!!

1st of all this is the best forum ever! Everyone is amazing Thank you all!!!!

2nd of all I need to install an alarm on my Vespa in Manhattan.

As you can imagine I am very nervous about keeping it in the city. Has anyone successfully installed a two way pager alarm? Should I bother? Will it mess with my electric? Should I use the regular Vespa alarm? I have so many questions but I'm sure you all have answers!
@wasielak avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300

Enthusiast
@wasielak avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Sorry but I can't help out! I'm looking at doing this to my wifes GTS300, she uses it for work most every day. I did a little research in the search engine for this site and there is a company that will lock your brake to the throttle on the handlebars, but that's about all I came up with.
Kenw
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
I have a Vespa alarm, but it does not have the 2 way pager function you are looking for. It is simply a motion detecting alarm with a piercing siren. You get a remote which works within inches of the unit, and no further away. Set it up correctly and it will go off if someone bumps the scooter. A deterrent maybe, hoping there are quieter targets...
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I've found that those types of alarms on scooters are too touchy. Damn alarm goes off all the time. I think i showed you this on your other thread but get a Lock Alarm. You can thread it thru stuff and then attach it around a pole etc. They come in a few lengths. The alarm is inside the cable and if they cut it it has a 120dcb siren. Runs on a 9v which can't be accessed without the key. Very light and fits easily in the pet carrier and doesn't take up much space. You can find them at most battery stores but Google them to see which store has them in your neck of the woods if you like them. Good luck.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
14 that's cool but pricey $395 with a $99 annual fee.
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
There was a post about a year ago on how I make your own gps tracker using a cell phone and other off the shelf items. A lot cheaper than that!

If you want to know where your scooter is, you text the phone and it starts updating its location at a specified interval. Quite a cool little project!
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
If you're worried about theft rather than a motion alarm for vandalism etc, my riding buddy Louswheel has just got one of these Grip Locks - no wiring, visible deterent, very hard to break etc...

http://www.grip-lock.com/
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
A major issue is they can pickup and carry many of the smaller scoots so locking it up to something is important. If someone could carry off my MP3 I wouldn't mess with them. The GPS tracker @ $99/yr is better than others I've seen @ $14.95/month.

If you have a modern Vespa with an immobilizer they are not going to hotwire it and ride off. Its going to be carried or tossed into the back of a truck. Either way you lost your scoot, so do the most you feel comfortable with to secure it.
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
Garmin makes one that I've been considering:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=387

it's only $199.99
I don't remember how much the tracking plan costs after the first year but I think it was less than $99
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Brian

Welcome to MV. Only you can determine your security confidence level.

There are a variety of "deterrents" - alarms, cables, chains, grip locks, etc. Each will deter a given level of thief, but not prevent it totally. A "competent" thief will be prepared to defeat the deterrents he chooses to defeat. Hooligans can still knock over and damage a scooter, regardless of any anti-theft or alarm devices.

As to a tracking device:

Paying $350 plus $99/yr to track a stolen scooter versus how much for comprehensive insurance? It may "feel good" to think you will know where your stolen scooter went, but then what? Once you track the scooter, what are you going to do about it? Kinda like the dog who chases cars - what will he do with a car he catches? Go dashing up to 122nd St just off Broadway and confront the thieves? If you call NYPD 911 and tell them your scooter was just stolen and is currently located at 122nd St, just off Broadway, how quickly will a SWAT Team arrive to rescue it? Based on typical experience in your area, what condition can you expect a stolen scooter be in when recovered? In short, if a deterrent doesn't deter, is it simply prudent to let your insurance take over?

At which point do you decide there is no foolproof protection? To my eyes, Judy's simple alarmed cable looks like an economically reasonable two pronged deterrent. There are also stouter alarmed cables. But it's your eyes that need to be satisfied, not mine or Judy's.
UTC

Hooked
Mp3 500

Hooked
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Gorilla Alarm
Hi i have that gorilla alarm it sucks hard to set up the sensativity
its gos off at any thing so think before you buy.

Cliff
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
AL i looked into the stouter ones and they can still be cut. More weight and more money. If they want your scooter it'll be gone unfortunately. Insurance is the only thing that helps.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
AL i looked into the stouter ones and they can still be cut. More weight and more money. If they want your scooter it'll be gone unfortunately. Insurance is the only thing that helps.
Agree totally, which is why I closed saying "But it's your eyes that need to be satisfied, not mine or Judy's."

A theft deterrent only serves to increase the honesty of some people.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
True dat. Me personally hates lugging heavy things My fat ass takes up too much weight as it is. Laughing emoticon Decreases my gas mileage. Laughing emoticon
@crazyinnyc avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GTS, 07 Stella

Addicted
@crazyinnyc avatar
07 GTS, 07 Stella
UTC quote
After the first knockover you won't be so nervous.
@dangermurphy avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Titanium

@dangermurphy avatar
GTS 300 Titanium
UTC quote
Brian,

I considered getting an alarm when I lived on the upper east side of Manhattan and bought my first bike. The folks at the dealer actually talked me out of getting one stating that it may go off every time the bike was bumped/vibrated - something that happens very frequently in the city. Kind of the annoying way car alarms false alarm when someone drives by with really loud bass in their stereo. It would be more of a nuisance to other folks than actually helpful to me.

In the city, and even where I live now in Brooklyn, car alarms go off all the time due to "non theft" triggering quite often and it is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very annoying.

I think wanting to secure your bike is reasonable. But in my experience, alarms on vehicles in the city go off ALL the time - rarely, if ever, due to actual theft.

For peace of mind - I think an additional lock through a wheel would be a better investment/deterrent than an alarm, and, be more considerate of your neighbors. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get away with putting the bike up and out of the way on a sidewalk/next to your building, locking and covering it up.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0237s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0127s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]