UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Wow! thanks Jim. I'll post some photo's when I get my guy come in for his 9k service. A photo speaks a thousand words, but as you can see, I'm not frightened to write lots of...errr...words....!!! Laughing emoticon
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
genie wrote:
i find that caning it from a stop as a matter of course is a great help in preventing clutch shudder. mine only does this after many months of riding - at which point it's an indication that things need to be opened up and cleaned out.
This completely makes sense to me. While cleaning is necessary just caning it from a stop a few times helps. I find that the humidity brings on the shudder too. Now in the winter I hear it. It's not like a lion's growl thougt but a bit more like an unusual purr on steroids.
UTC

Hooked
Fuoco 500ie - 2007, Benelli Adiva 150 - 2003

Hooked
UTC quote
I get some squeaking at idle sometimes.

There isn't enough clutch engagement to make the bike roll forward at idle, do you think that the clutch needs any adjustment?
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
desq, it probably just needs a clean out of the bell at the next service with the pads deglazing at the same time. You can as some of the others are saying, just do a few fast take offs from the lights and it will help clear the dust temporarily. But I wouldn't worry about it if the clutch is not juddering. There isn't actually any adjustment as such on the standard clutch. Although some clutches let you alter the spring strength which can affect the clutch engagement point but I don't think the GTS standard unit allows for that. I stand corrected on that by anyone that's done it on the standard clutch.

One important point I didn't mention in my earlier post is this. Again many of you will know this already. Don't forget to keep the TRANSMISSION AIR FILTER clean. It's an often forgotten item by many. The 300 I began servicing last year for a friend had a completely clogged filter when I checked it. That's not good for lots of reasons.

1. it raises the transmission operating temperature considerably;
2. it causes the belt to wear faster due to the increased operating temps;
3. it allows more dust to build up in the transmission case and in the clutch bell potentially causing more judder and squeal. The dust just doesn't get blown out of the case as no air or a reduced amount of air can only get in;
4. potentially the clutch inner bearings suffer from the extra heat as this affects the grease lubing the bearings and it affects the seals. On Burgmans and some other makes I look after, it causes early bearing failure.

The filter is easy to clean but it just gets forgotten. Just a heads up.
@matt6974 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yamaha MT-07

Hooked
@matt6974 avatar
Yamaha MT-07
UTC quote
Just chipping that I used to have this problem as a novice rider on my 300 but since adopting faster take-offs the problem hasn't reoccurred in a few thousand kilometres.

I suspect low-speed manoeuvring while lightly holding the rear brake doesn't help much either.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've been adopting lower speed take off's after knocking another motorcyclist over recently!!

Crying or Very sad emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0325s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0058s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]